Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I watched AEW from the beginning until the summer of the pandemic, then picked it up again in early 2021. I hadn't watched wrestling regularly since like 03-04 I'd guess but man, AEW hooked me right away. One touch I love is the commentary is blended between pro announcers like Excalibur, JR and Tony, and talent like Taz or Chris Jericho (he's a chud poo poo head but god drat is he the best on commentary), meaning that you get some really hilarious bits where they play off of each other making jokes without being assholes to each other.

I'm also trying to remember more about Al Snow's Head character storyline but I'm drawing a lot of blanks. Was that actually a good storyline or did it suck and I was young and dumb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

Among other things he took his dumpy rock band Fozzy to the Sturgis festival during the first summer of the pandemic. Also his wife is a Q nutjob and he's still married to her.

He's a land of contrasts though because he really is one of the best overall performers ever and he's done a lot to help other wrestlers and the business in general. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I've never heard any stories about him burying people through backstage politics or any of that poo poo.

But he's stuck in the Attitude era and his promos all sound just like the ones he cut 20+ years ago. I'd feel bad for him but he's rich and takes a private plane from where he lives to any of the Florida shows sooooo...

Sums up my feelings well. Jericho is a chud shithead, but he's one of the my favorite heels of all time (beginning of AEW until mid last year was an incredible heel run) and I can't sit here without mentioning the fact that his commentary is some of the best in the business. He plays off every single character in the commentary crew perfectly and says some of the dumbest, most absurd poo poo that you don't always catch but when you do, it's a laugh riot.

Agreed on the promos though, downright embarrassing sometimes

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Peggy Edson posted:

He literally had Donald Trump Jr on his podcast

Sydney Bottocks posted:

He supported Trump by donating actual money to his reelection campaign

While I enjoy Jericho's antics on AEW, the dude can get hosed and if I watched him get his balls tazed until he died live on air as part of an AEW promo, I'd be fine with that. He's a land of contrasts but that doesn't make up for the fact that he's a poo poo head chud

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_mgTlHCzz0

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScDHzMA6HI

MY GOD! THEY'RE GONNA DESTROY THE DIPPIN DOTS!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Also, AEW recently announced Danhausen is All Elite, and here's how they did that. Worth the watch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghzWaZR-Uc0

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

These are unedited, aren't they? Every time I try to watch WWE, I end up turning it off really quick because the camera style drives me loving insane

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Trollologist posted:

On the Contrary, this is the greatest Promo in Wrestling History. Or close to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SobD560-9ZQ&t=55s

Hahahahahaha this is the funniest thing, I have a whole new respect for Jay Lethal

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Trollologist posted:

I'd love to like hear a write up on them if someone could be assed.

I would loooooooove this, I totally missed TNA as Attitude Era WWE's tail end kinda turned me off to wrestling for a while

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

stratdax posted:

How's Billy Corgan's wrestling thing going

So, my friend got me into NWA Powerrr when it launched in October 2019 and I really enjoyed it until the wheels started to come off, towards the end of the second season / beginning of the pandemic. Jim Cornette was kinda great on commentary but by the time he got racist, I was very over him as an announcer and was happy to see him replaced. The wrestling was pretty fun because everyone was in on the campiness of it all. It was everyone pretending they were in a 1980s studio wrestling show and it worked pretty drat well for the most part. But then the pandemic hit and one of the VPs was found out to have been a sex pest/maybe worse, I forget, and everything completely fell apart. They were already doing some questionable booking, like the whole Rock'n'Roll Express thing, but man Eddie Kingston, Eli Drake, Aron Stevens, Nick Aldis... these guys cut some great 80s camp promos.

Idk if they still have season 1 and 2 up on YouTube, but if they do, it's worth a watch imo. I don't follow the NWA anymore because it's really obvious that it's duct taped together with sex pests and 60 year old tag teams and if one thread gets pulled, the whole thing collapses. Why devote time to that when AEW exists?

also I hope that's not a poo poo wrestling opinion, I don't really talk to anyone else who watches wrestling since most of my friends don't enjoy it that much

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

These are awesome, thanks for posting them!!!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

SatansOnion posted:

say, mister or ms juggalo baby coffin, are you familiar with the in-ring career of one Sonny Kiss? You might be pleasantly surprised (or less so because you might agree with me that we need more of the Concrete Rose on our tv screens)

overall, I’d say that professional wrestling outside of Vince’s poisoned little garden is less uncomfortable with its lgbtq+ aspects than it’s been in my whole lifetime. that’s not to brag about how perfect it all is now or anything; but when I was a little spring onion, the standard was Goldust at the gimmick’s most uncomfortable and gay-panic flavored :stonk:

tbh the difference between Goldust and Sonny Kiss says it all

Here's an article on Sonny that kinda cuts right to the "Huh, that's cool" core:
https://www.ringsidenews.com/2021/12/28/sonny-kiss-uses-aew-womens-rosters-locker-room/

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The whole Cody Rhodes thing is hilarious and I'm actually kind of happy because I haaaaaaaaaaaated his promos and the amount of time he ate up on TV. I will say that his matches were usually absolutely awesome, that ladder match he just had was Top Tier Gold and I am gonna miss that. I just wish someone could've helped him figure his poo poo out creatively because it was NOT working

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVputNqXvek&t=329s

My favorite storylines that was DEFINITELY written by Vince that also convinced me AEW was the way. The Lana-Lashley Wedding. What a loving hilarious nightmare this entire fuckin' storyline was. I couldn't stop watching, it was so bad, so so so so so bad.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

shadow puppet of a posted:

I can’t be alone in wanting the wwe to not sign Cody and he makes his own fed and it’s 100% all of the time dogs and pyro and cigars and whole team entrances coming out of individualized entrance portals and tour busses and sister in law resentment and arm Anderson’s ccw threats and live neck tattoo touch ups in ring and it would be glorious. He’ll turn so stale so fast in Vince world of golden eggs and brass rings. Please cody, prove to the world how right you are about your perma-face booking concepts.

Tbh this would be the best possible outcome bc then we'd have AEW AND Codyverse and maybe they could build a new SUPER FORBIDDEN DOOR and Cody can break it down with a sledgehammer

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

shadow puppet of a posted:

ignoring covid entirely (unless John Huber really did die of an abscess tooth that done crept into his lungs)

I'm picking out the non-wrestling thing here but tooth abscesses are EXTREMELY dangerous because they can hop into the blood stream at any time and go wreak havoc wherever it lands. Source, two different dentists warning me to make sure I get my poo poo treated.

Also, I don't think any of your analysis is too far off, but I could also see AEW maturing into an organization that's profitable, it would just to do that despite Tony Khan's massive liability-ness. There's clearly room for another major network-based wrasslin' company and I think we might see AEW change hands once TK overstays his welcome, I think 2-6 years is a pretty accurate figure. The stories that come out are gonna be INSANE though

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

roomtone posted:

this comes off as an unhinged vendetta to me

It's definitely a, uh, more spirited take on Tony Khan but the whole Big Swole thing shows the dude definitely has the chance of being a liability and if he's the type who huffs his own farts (he's rich, so yes), it's inevitable something fucky is going to happen

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Adam Scherr attempting to big league IMPACT was hilarious too because he could have very easily gotten a lucrative and mostly protected position in the company. He might have had to lose to Moose at some point but lol at him thinking they were going to be making a known wrestler like him a jobber. It has to be some kind of PTSD from being in WWE. The fact that CYN appeared at NWA speaks volumes about how bad NWA is at this point, it seemed promising for a bit, but it's even funnier that Scherr didn't end up there on his own as a top guy. This is a company whose top guy is Trevor Murdoch. Scherr played himself and within a decade he's going to be doing a podcast/twitch stream like Russo or Cornette where he bitches and moans about the state of the industry and how, without directly saying so, it's the reason why he doesn't have a job.

I'm sad that NWA sucks poo poo now, I really enjoyed watching their studio show pre-Covid. The matches were decent to good, the mic work was fun (I miss Aron Stevens) and until Rock'n'Roll Express showed up, I enjoyed it! But now-a-days? Haven't watched the new edition of it because holy gently caress Trevor Murdoch IS STILL CHAMPION??????? Did Billy Cardigan just get really bored?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I listened to an interview with Billy Corgan before the last PPV and he was more into owning one of the NWA Heavyweight Championship. He's 100% into the idea of owning a wrestling company as a toy or whatever but I don't think he cares too much beyond that. He's like Tony Khan in that he bought a promotion and isn't really an onscreen character but unlike TK, he sucks at actually running it.

Billy Corgan is pretty friendly with Alex Jones so he's definitely really stupid, which doesn't help either.

Yeah, as Billy gave more interviews and kept talking, it made me glad he let the promotion go to poo poo

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or is Smackdown using less of those really quick "action cuts" that were really blurry and made it really difficult to watch a match? I don't know if anyone liked that poo poo but it drove me up a fuckin wall

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Now there are more reports that he's done. The details aren't known. One report claims that he had it in his contract that he could leave if Triple H took over WWE. Some figure that he just wanted out so he could do NXT and work with his son while not needing to travel and Tony Khan was cool enough to cut him loose. Some claim that he actually hated his time in AEW and hated how Tony Khan handled things.

Either way, weird to see him leave the company so abruptly when he was being treated as a big deal.

I don't think AEW is doing that great right now, I don't really have a lot of interest in following their shows episode-to-episode but I really feel like there are some "wrestling reporters" are really eager to report how much everyone hates their time at AEW and really just want to stir the pot on that front. There are a ton of things that could be going a lot better at AEW but I don't think some wrestlers are as mad about collecting a paycheck and having a fair amount of freedom as is reported

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

GolfHole posted:

A quick reminder that AEW is and always has been doomed to fail, it's just a matter of time.

I was hoping it'd continue to put out a good product but it really looks like it's coming apart finally

I mean there's definitely good matches and stuff but oh my god the storytelling is a nightmare

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Most of my issues with AEW are around the fact that their story telling has gotten worse after already being mediocre. Matches are still great, its fun to tune in and watch but it feels pretty incoherent and the "lets buy every wrestler!" era definitely had an effect on the company

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I don't think they are going to die any time soon unless poo poo gets real weird with Tony real quick. Otherwise it's just gonna settle into being #2 and continue stumbling along for a while

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

AEW still brings in guys who aren't huge names but are huge talents like El Bandido and AR Fox, but recently their biggest reveal was Jeff Jarrett. Jeff Jarrett is both a cancer and a cockroach in the wrestling business and holy poo poo do I not want to see him on my TV.

This was the moment where I went from "yeah I wanna keep up with this" to "Nah, I'm good I'll tune in if I'm bored I guess"

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
tbh I would pay PPV money to watch, say, Sting just absolutely brutalize Jeff Jarrett with a guitar. With multiple guitars. And every time Jeff tries to talk on mic, someone appears from under the ring and just wallops him with a guitar. And then later they cut to him in an ambulance on the way to the hospital and the medic pulls off his face mask AND IT'S STING and Sting just whacks Jeff with another guitar. Repeat process for arrival at the ER, finding a room, etc.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah we'd all pay to see that but the thing about JJ is that he'd always win anyway in those kinds of situations. You know, for the heeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Yep, it's exactly why I stopped watching instead of trying to give a poo poo and hope the story would change. He's gonna somehow come out on top looking like he actually should win something, when we all know he should be sentenced to Early-South-Park-Kenny levels of abuse

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

blunt posted:

Sting and Jeff Jarrett (and partners) fought on PPV like two weeks ago and Sting hit Jarrett with zero guitars :smith:

The failures of AEW are piling up

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sting's AEW run is absolutely one of the best parts about AEW. It's so loving goofy and hilarious to watch a dude who's almost my dad's age play himself as some unbeatable wrestling god and to jump off stages and through tables and poo poo lol

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

Handsome Rusev and Hardbody Mahal were insanely over at my house and probably only at my house

My whole team at work loved them specifically because one guy on the team hated them so much lol

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

spaceblancmange posted:

vince is going to win the royal rumble and headline wrestlemania where he will die in the ring attempting a shooting star press

would watch this

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
AEW does have Tony Khan though and he's like a post-Vince character, all the over the top bullshit but without the really creepy storylines

Also the wrestling on AEW is generally top tier and much more unique than WWE even tho the stories kinda suck sometimes

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
the only part that keeps me from being a total AEW stan is the fact that their storylines often suck rear end, and sometimes rear end and balls. Like get some fuckin creative cohesion and direction already jfc

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yeah why isn't Eddie continually front and center on TV all the time, easily the best promo guy in AEW

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
my first adult exposure to Jim Cornette was in the new NWA before he said some racist poo poo and got canned. Funny enough, NWA is a complete steaming pile of poo poo now from everything I've seen, so there's that

I'd love a write up of Jim Cornette hijinks honestly

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

QT jobbed a couple times in tag matches on AEW Dark, meaning he barely existed to begin with. His televised debut came in a rather cool match. To set the picture, MJF had finally betrayed Cody and their feud was starting up. A tag team named the Butcher and the Blade showed up to aid MJF as hired muscle in what’s considered the dumbest debut in AEW history, but that’s another story.

I feel like I saw this but I'm curious about it cuz I've obviously memory holed it

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Stossel deserved it :colbert:

that's actually how i felt after watching the dark side of wrestling episode. Stossel is an inflammatory idiot who's often wrong and should be punched regularly

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
there were a bunch of posts on reddit supporting CM Punk but after seeing that clip, lol it was just a bunch of giant baby men who couldn't act like adults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i want to believe that samoa joe threatened to beat the poo poo out of punk if he walked out and ruined his wembley match

watch this be the actual reason why punk didn't put up a fight being fired lol