Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

A LOVELY LAD posted:

fucken lolling remembering that Vince mcMahon slid into the ring one time and blew out both his quads

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

The fact that Triple H publicly said the reason that Vince put his family on the payroll because that's the only way he'll ever see them is kinda :smith: imo

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

Vince re-wrote an entire episode of Raw right before it went live because he wanted to make it a happier show because he thought the audience would be sad that George HW Bush died that day.

god drat lmao he really lives in a bubble doesn't he?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Let us never forget the legend that is the Gobbledegooker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh00VNHNB7o

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

Meanwhile Shane-o-Mac stares wistfully at the phone, waiting from Vince giving him a shot at saving the company...

Vince = DJT Sr
Triple H = Eric
Shane = DJT Jr
Stephanie = Ivanka

:aaaaa:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Vince isn't gonna die until the XFL is somewhat successful

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Jamesman posted:

:laffo: Shane McMahon was just let go by WWE.

hahaha

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I dunno how true this is because I bet both sides are working journalists to make their account the "right" one, but there's some interesting tidbits in here

https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/s...e-royal-rumble/

Shane McMahon pushed back on Vince McMahon’s WWE Raw/Elimination Chamber plans, backstage issues were a problem long before Royal Rumble

quote:

Wade Keller posted an audio update on Shane McMahon on PWTorch.com. Keller noted that things got really bad between Shane and his father Vince McMahon at the Royal Rumble but there were issues before the pay-per-view.

“Things really unraveled with him and his dad on Saturday,” Keller said. “Things were not good, according to what I heard.”

Keller continued, “If you’ve been listening carefully to me in the last month or two, you would have gotten the impression there was little chance Shane would have been at the Royal Rumble this weekend, or in WWE’s plans. I was pretty surprised when he showed up and then there were reports that he was going to be in a storyline that would weave itself all the way to Wrestlemania because of what I’ve been hearing about Shane’s status in the company, and his relationship with his dad in particular.”

Keller said, “This was almost a last straw for a lot of people in WWE when it comes to Shane [and] his dad, of course, being the final decision maker on that front. So the story is for the third year in a row he was brought in to help produce the Royal Rumble. It’s sort of a dad doing a favor to his son…Shane’s creative ideas over the decades have been laughed at behind his back. I’ve reported that for decades. He was never seen as having a good creative wrestling mind. That has carried over even into his 50s when trying to help produce the Royal Rumble.”

“This was an … unexpected, sharp increase in disruptiveness in bad ideas on Saturday,” Keller said. “From what I’m told directly from people there, he was really self-centered. It was all about him [and] his ideas, and he didn’t get caught up on what the plans were for the match. He didn’t know was going on TV that was building to certain moments. And he just pulled the McMahon card with the match producers wanting things to be done his way because why else would Shane-O-Mac be brought in, if not to basically dictate something, a major chapter involving him in the match. And so he did. And it got to the point where there were heated arguments with people who felt that they could push back and a lot of stress and strife and distractions with everybody else because it was just chaos. There was a plan for the match. Shane was pushing back against producers who were simply trying to follow through on what Vince McMahon told them should be done in the match. And Shane just went way overboard. If you look at the people that Shane was fighting in the ring during the Rumble, that was his doing. That’s who he wanted to be in the ring with looking good against. I mean two of the legit kind of badass guys in WWE — Otis with his background and Riddle with his background, and Shane punched away at them. Then Kevin Owens super kicked him twice and tried to toss him out but Shane reversed him and tossed him out over the top row to eliminate him.”

Keller added, “While all this is going on, Shane is sweating, profusely [and] this has been a thing for him recently, more than recently where there’s a concerning level of perspiration. It’s almost like just droplets are shooting out of his head and face.”

Keller added that Shane was willing to put over Brock Lesnar but things between Shane and Vince got really bad backstage.

“So when it came time to put someone over, Shane was willing to put over Brock Lesnar,” Keller said. “But the issue with Shane really got to the next level with Vince when it came to what was planned for Raw and that Shane had real problems with how he was going to be framed as he was going to be in the Elimination Chamber. And so, Shane disagreed with what Vince wanted to do and how he wanted to do it. It was laid out to Shane what the plans were and he did like it, and he pushed back and that led to Vince just finally having enough and canceling all plans with Shane, everything that they have planned with him.”

At this point, it’s not clear if he was released from his talent contract or if he was simply sent home. Keller said, “I haven’t been able to confirm that it’s an actual firing because I’m not quite sure what Shane’s status is with the company in the sense that if there’s an employee or relationship that could be canceled in a traditional way firing happens. But the idea now is from what I’m hearing is he is not going to be part of WWE in any way on or off camera for the foreseeable future, which could span a long, long time. Like years. It’s father, son, it’s a family situation, who knows, right? But…because this has been festering for a while and it’s been an issue for a while, this isn’t something that just surprised everybody and it came out of nowhere on Saturday. The feeling is that this really could be the last straw. And there could be a level of professional estrangement between Vince and Shane…I haven’t found anybody who will defend Shane, in terms of how he acted on Saturday.”

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah, seeing how much of a poo poo show it is is pretty funny and interesting. I mostly stopped watching in the 80s-early 90s. I remember the 1-2-3 Kid, the Undertaker, and I think Kane was new and I stopped watching before then. The video games were fun.

Also Doink the Clown.

I remember when they were like KANE IS HORRIBLY DISFIGURED AND THAT'S WHY HE WEARS THE MASK and then it finally came off and it's like "huh. Ok then. He's pretty normal" and no one talked about it again

Now he's mayor of some town in Tennessee. Wrestling is weird sometimes man

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Robo Reagan posted:

japanese wrestling is better its live action anime with power ranngers doing kick flips directly in to faces none of this dumb poo poo like chicken nugget lesnar trying to be intimidating

Japanese wrestling is great because they don't even pretend to make a serious product

They ham it up hardcore and go for pure entertainment value. There's one wrestler whose signature move is using his dick to suplex people. It is stupid and insane and incredible

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Time_pants posted:

And then there's the Ironman Heavymetalweight championship: a belt that must be defended 24/7 and spans multiple promotions all over the globe. The belt changes hands constantly (from the wiki: "As of February 4, 2022, there have been 1,528 officially recognized reigns between 390 different human individuals, 6 teams and 42 inanimate objects and animals. The record for most reigns is held by Shinobu, who won it 216 times, including by trading the title back-and-forth with 215-time champion Yuko Miyamoto a total of 303 times on the same night.").

It has been won by a ladder, by a team of three elementary school girls, Vince McMahon's Hollywood Walk of Fame star, and belt has even won itself on multiple occasions. The title has changed hands in a dream at least once. It's definitely a high water mark for the sport and worth checking out the history of title changes if you're interested: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ironman_Heavymetalweight_Champions

hahahahahah oh my god i love this so much

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Peggy Edson posted:

Another Vince McMahon fun fact is he literally can't take being told no. Brock Lesnar is the master of telling Vince McMahon no and to gently caress off. So Vince thinks he "wins" when he pays an enormous amount of money to get Brock under a part time contract that pays more than any of the full timers get.

This is the literal Art of the Deal

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

Wasn't Rikishi the fat guy that would rub his rear end in someone's face as his finishing move?

Yup!

Also the pic they chose here doesn't exactly scream "picture of health"

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2022/02/vince-mcmahon-touts-major-wwe-revenue-milestone/

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 5, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I love that Shockmaster video because you hear the crowd go OHHHHH just before he busts out and then he trips and it goes deathly silent

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Time_pants posted:

It's worse. They clearly tried to sabotage his even more over Fiend gimmick and then axed him while he was still topping merch sales.

Art of the Deal baby!!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

This is a fascinating analysis and I wouldn't sleep on it

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

So more news has come out about why Shane McMahon got fired, which includes him wanting to book himself as #1 in the Royal Rumble so he could be the "iron man" of the match and last like 50 minutes before making it in third place. Nobody else wanted that, especially winner Brock Lesnar, and it got vetoed.

Lmao this is even stupider because who the hell would believe Shane McMahon would ever be #1 in the Royal Rumble? Even beyond that who would care and be hyped about Shane being #1??

Jesus the dude really is Don Jr

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

PeterCat posted:

I think it's greater than zero.

Here's a picture of Vince McMahon Sr and DJT.

I mean, we all see what we want to see but there's a much stronger resemblance between these two than Fred and Donald

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

when Vince finally goes into the Great Darkness they are either gonna a) Weekend at Bernie's him or b) do some absolutely bizarre and horrific skit that involves either him being a zombie, a "look-alike" that acts like the now dead Vince but sounds like one of their regular stable, or something like blowing up his casket at his funeral and Stone Cold comes out of nowhere and busts a beer over his corpse

you can bet on it

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 7, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

B-Rock452 posted:

My Kane story is that whenever there was a wwe event in Philly the wrestlers would show up at my gym to workout. A local mom stopped by to ask the owner if she could get a few autographs cause her son loves wrestling but has Down Syndrome and didn't do well with crowds. The owner texted Kane and Kane ended up setting it up so the kid could come hang out with a bunch of the wrestlers (including Kane) and get photos and help with their workouts.

:3: too bad he's a libertarian shithead but that is a sweet story

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

Val being messed in the head isn't, ah, surprising

Val Venis was just weird as a wrestler and person in general

I could never put my finger on it but like he straddled the line for me - he was never good enough to be main card, not bad enough to be undercard, and not mediocre enough to be mid-card. for the life of me I can't tell you what his gimmick was or even if he had one tbh. He was just sort of an "i'm here" dude

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Archer666 posted:

WWE games were also weird at times (and absolute garbage during a good chunk of the early Attitude era). Like the time they put Head as its own character, which was just a floating....head and hands and feet.

Tbh I had a custom character on one of those games with like saw blades on his arms and drills for hands

That poo poo ruled

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

This thread is such an incredible delve into the backend and lore and I just want to sincerely thank everyone's who's contributed so far :patriot:

I should check out AEW someday - it sounds campy, fun and dumb

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I've read that Jericho is also vehemently pro gun control so like :shrug:

But he did give us this great lol moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o77NwC2TLR8

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I'm gonna be fascinated to see what happens to WWE after Vince kicks it. When you cut the head off the chicken, is it going to survive like Mike the Headless Chicken? Or is there going to be a power struggle, since I presume Vince really hasn't designated anyone to take over after he dies (because he will never die; he is immortal)

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Cubone posted:

which popped the crowd and I’m betting was unscripted and Vince probably didn’t like it, but at this point Cena is worth more to the WWE than they are to him

For the longest thought Cena was low tier but the fact that he's made WWE his bitch is pretty impressive, not gonna lie

He doesn't need them and Vince knows it

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Eclipse12 posted:

I used to do reviews of old Raws and was thinking of starting up again. Cool if I post them here?

I enjoyed reading them tbh so yes

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

HHH is weird cause for a while public perception was that he was becoming a better person, and at the very least better at identifying and using peoples talents like in NXT. but now its clear that that was just kind of like how a rollercoaster climbs back up after a deep plunge just so it can go back down again. he has a juuust different enough kind of madness from vince that from a certain angle it can resemble sanity.

i guess the story kind of initially resembled the classical pattern of the 'good prince and the mad king' archetype so people were keen to try and view the reality like that. people were willing to kind of fluff away all the bad poo poo he had done as like 'youthful indescretion' or something (despite the fact he was like 30s for the bulk of his reported misdeeds) and look at his better business acumen compared to vince as the sign of him also being a better person.

I can see this. I never thought HHH was a good person (either in or out of the ring; I hated him in the ring because he was very good at playing the rear end in a top hat), but out of the ring he presented himself as sort of a normal(ish) dude and the anti-Vince in some respects

He never came across in interviews as completely unhinged and psychotic, and sometimes even a bit goofy, but man has his star fallen

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

And it could have been even worse, as the setup was originally supposed to involve Miss Elizabeth having Goldberg arrested on a rape accusation.

what the HELL :stare:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

Originally, they wanted Elizabeth to straight-up say that Goldberg raped her, but Goldberg absolutely refused to go through with that plot.

Good on Goldberg for saying no but holy poo poo how did anyone ever think that was a good idea?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Holy poo poo I didn't know the Curtain Call led to Stone Cold becoming A Thing

it's so weird how these tiny little things can snowball and create what we knew later on

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Whatever happened to the Great Khali? I wasn't following wrestling much but it seemed like Vince was trying to make him A Thing and then he disappeared

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

Khali was brought in as a big, scary heel, but there was only so much you could do with him. He was incredibly limited and only had a couple moves he could do, but they were at least able to coast on his mystique by having him feud with various top faces like Undertaker, Cena, Kane, Batista and Triple H. At one point, Edge was World Heavyweight Champion and got injured, so the title was vacated. They held a battle royal for a new winner and because 1) SmackDown had a thin main even scene and 2) it made more storyline sense for Batista to chase the title, they had Khali win it. He's considered one of the all-time worst world champions in wrestling history.

After he ran his course as a major heel, he was turned into a goofy face with a manager/translator. He never won any major matches other than a WrestleMania pre-show battle royal, but he was always treated as a nigh-unbeatable threat. For a little while, he was in a tag team with Hornswoggle (of course), but he just hung around the midcard and faded into obscurity.

When WWE had Jinder Mahal as WWE Champion (a story in itself), Khali showed up to interfere on his behalf at a PPV, but there was no follow-up. Physically, he was not looking so great.

God I love this thread

Thank you!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

titties posted:

Muscle separation and tearing is apparently much easier when you are a steroid golem

If you look at the recent pics of Vince..... woof. He is not looking good at all

It seems the years of steroids, very little sleep and massive anger issues are finally starting to catch up to him

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Oh my god I'd forgotten about Hornswoggle!

Tbh I was a fan because it made no god drat sense that a leprechaun would come out of nowhere and just beat the poo poo out of people. I also forgot he was attached to Finlay!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wcw held a ppv event in north korea and 2 Cold Scorpio plotted to murder Road Warrior Hawk while there

I thought you were kidding. :stare:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

There's a lot of bad ideas in this world but conspiring to commit murder in North Korea has to be like, top five easily

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I

What? :psyduck:

Are humanity's writers wrestling fans because I cannot process this. My brain cannot understand what you just wrote

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

This is from another poster in PYF but I thought y'all would appreciate it (with credit to Kheldarn for compiling these)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Cena the person seems like a pretty cool dude but Cena the character sucked. Not because he wasn't edgy but because first of all he was a terrible white rapper. Then he was all ARE TROOP OORAH USA #1 SUPPORT OUR WARMONGERS. But mostly it was that all his matches were exactly the same and they were loving BORING. It was the exact same Hulk Hogan formula. He gets his rear end kicked for 10 minutes then powers up, Five Moves of Doom, win. Every time. And he was unbeatable. It seemed like he never lost for the longest time.

Tons of fans, myself included, wanted him to turn heel just to see something different. It wasn't so a bunch of kids would be sad, but because WWE shows would be more interesting to watch. For literally years it seemed like there was no reason to ever watch a Cena match because you know he'd probably win and if he lost it was always going to be because of cheating and all we wanted, at the very least, was to see him lose clean. Cena's unstoppable streak was the #1 thing that made me stop watching WWE until Punk came around and it actually seemed like Punk might actually have a chance of winning.

When Punk finally beat Cena and ran off with the WWE championship, that might be the happiest I've ever been while watching wrestling. Someone I really liked and who was super talented and totally deserved it finally beat the unstoppable babyface. The counter culture representative was allowed to succeed and anything else good that happened after was gravy. Vince had finally made a very good decision for once in his miserable despicable life.

I remember beating the poo poo out of Cena in the WWE games, and that he was just so bad as a wrestler in those games. He was like a low carder, if even that. Then I see him explode and become an actor and actually kind of a likeable guy, all things considered.