Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think if a man wants to have a consensual affair and pay the woman off to keep her mouth shut then that should be his privilege, nay - his right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

That DICK! posted:

dave meltzer is the king

retract your statement or fall

this always triggers me. all that paper.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I couldn't get into AEW.

I did watch their official PPV debut, the one where Cody (back with WWE now lol) smashes the Triple H throne that's made of styrofoam, and it had a terrible start with the worst comedy gimmick royal rumble I have ever seen but when the real matches started it was OK. I also watched for a bit when CM Punk joined but that didn't work out.

I just couldn't get into the show. I can't call it objectively bad, just don't like it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I can't tell whether his mustache is crooked or his face is

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I was fascinated by Tensai. I doubt Bloom came up with the gimmick. It had to be Vince who said let's put him in a leather diaper and pretend he's Japanese. Then it fails immediately because, what's with this fake Japanese guy poo poo? It's Albert.

So then, it's his second squash match and they put him up against a Japanese wrestler this time. Immediately trying to do damage control. And you know this was all Vince. So Cole says Yoshi Tatsu called out Tensai for not really being Japanese so he could emphasize, "But Tensai never claimed to be Japanese! He's just inspired by their customs." Tensai then beat up the Japanese man and sat on him.

They soon had him defeat Cena before the Extreme Rules PPV.

They started de-emphasizing the Japanese stuff and he basically became A Train with kanji scribbled on his face. He had Sakimoto, his lackey or whatever, but eventually Tensai just beat him up and got rid of him. Not before he got real heat for being racist in a vignette in which Sakimoto is his chauffeur and the punchline was these slanty eyed Japanese can't drive. Again, though, that was almost certainly a Vince thing. Si his reward was to put on women's underwear and dance with Brodus.

That was a little bit of a joke on PSP for a while. If a wrestler wasn't going anywhere the joke was he'll end up dancing with Brodus.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 17, 2023

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Tensai/Bloom is a classic Vince failure. He was this athletic monster that could do all kinds of poo poo in the ring. He was a respected veteran. There is a reason he's the head trainer at the performance center. A ton of main events in Japan including Brock Lesnar. He could have just come back as Albert and been a good monster heel for at least one Wrestlemania run.center

I think that was just too difficult for them to figure out. Giving a guy a new gimmick and just having him squash jobbers is a more straightforward path. If it's a returning guy you I don't know if it makes sense to make him go through a bunch of jobbers. I think then you just start with the. Sheamus feud right out of the gate.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Cornette somehow manages to piss off the judge so much she wins everything

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

There's the story of when the Ultimate Warrior presented DESTRUCITY to Vince and company when he returned for WM12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOv2ewcrFDA

Doesn't really cover Vince's reaction, though

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Isn't there also a story that in the 90s they gave this guy some kind of robot/cyborg type gimmick with a dumb costume, the guy gets in the ring to give a demo or whatever and Vince just starts yelling at the guy to dance?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

AlmightyBob posted:

didn't Vince end up bringing him back for a wrestlemania, but because it was last second and Vince was desperate warrior made him pay like half a million?

Well, the first time he was fired it was because he made Vince pay him more on the day of the show or he wouldn't do his match. I think it was Summer Slam. It was a tag match with Hogan vs. Sgt. Slaughter and Iron Sheik. According to Slaughter, Hogan's solution was to have Sheik break his leg but Vince paid in then fired him after the show.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

promoters having a wrestler beat the poo poo out of another wrestler for real wasnt unheard of and sheiky once said (so maybe not true lol) that a rival promoter once offered him a lot of money to break hogan's leg during a match to stop his push and cripple the wwf's momentum

That was Verne Gagne, from the AWA. Vince poached all his talent and bought out his TV. Hulk Hogan was from the AWA - before AWA he was an arrogant bad guy with a hairy back. Mean Gene, Bobby Heenan, Jesse Ventura, and a lot more, all poached from AWA.

Vince paid them more to leave and not finish whatever they planned to screw up the booking.

It was his strategy for all the wrestling territories.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 29, 2023

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Dell_Zincht posted:

Before Darren Drozdov became "Droz", he pitched an idea to Vince for a character called "Puke", utilising his apparent ability to vomit on command.

The whole meeting was filmed and featured in the 1999 documentary "Beyond The Mat."

It did not go well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWn1odAk3IA

This is also the documentary that shows Jake the Snake smoking crack

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

My favorite "crazy Vince" story is the time he made everyone stay in the parking lot after a show and eat snow cones. He kept saying, "I LOVE snow cones, pal!"

Then he gave the police chief a briefcase full of cash to get Jimmy Superfly Snuka out of murdering his girlfriend.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I watched it once. Yes, it's awful. Not funny either, it'll just make you feel bad. I do remember Neidhart actually trying and just looking absolutely pissed at what was going on.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I tried to watch Raw a while ago and they were doing this confusing "draft" the whole episode and you can tell they (Vince) were just making things up on the spot and making these idiots read from a teleprompter. Just so bad. No one was wrestling anything. And then I saw somewhere that this draft was supposed to BOOST ratings?

Wrestling is dying.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I watched the WWE documentary on Billy Graham. It's pretty sad. It's got some passive aggressive part too. At one point toward the end, Vince is saying "How can you not love this guy?" and he tells a story about how Graham gave a bunch of color TVs to Vince Senior as a gift and then asks, " How can you not love a guy who does that? Of course they all happened to be stolen from the Holiday Inn."

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I remember catching this. It was terrible.

The thing about a Grumpy Cat is - it doesn't work live. After a few seconds it just looks like a normal cat. Miz gave this really long monologue directed at it (it was probably less than a minute but it felt longer) and the cat is just sitting there staring. It started to fall asleep. I remember it ending with a lingering slow zoom of the poor cat looking miserable.

Now imagine three hours of that.

I did like when the wrestlers would do a bit selling toys or fast food or whatever. I remember Enzo Amore cutting a promo over a plate of chicken tenders that started with him implying he was going to go on a date and gently caress them.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

1985 commercial of the Von Erich's at the local pizza parlour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVotqu-pZw4

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Szyznyk posted:

It’s hard to watch him be interviewed. I wouldn’t want to watch him wrestle.

The first thing he did after that match, after legitimately blacking out several times, was to start cracking into a cooler of beer he had in the locker room. I believe it was the Undertaker (I forget his real name. Marc?) who said "What the gently caress, Ric?" and made him drink gatorade.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Everyone loved the Ric Flair 30 for 30 then the Vice plane ride from hell documentary came out and everyone was like "Huh, maybe constantly being drunk and waving your cock around in public and on airplanes can be bad."

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

While we're on lists, here's a review of some of the things Hulk Hogan has made up over the years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7WTm-6JSds

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Michael P.S. Hayes has said the same thing. I think even Scott Hall has.

There was a thing in the old days where if you lost a bar fight you'd be fired for making the business look bad. I think some promoters actually encouraged their wrestlers to start poo poo. So I'm sure with that mentality you're some kind of wuss if you avoid that lifestyle.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

goldberg was the only success story from wcw's wrestling school which never properly trained him how to pull his punches because the power plant was a joke which is why goldberg constantly hurts himself or his opponent

It was run by a roided up psychopath with little big man syndrome who just used it to haze guys with ridiculous conditioning because he was nothing but a huge jobber and actually had a leprechaun gimmick at one point

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Well Albert seems OK and I'm pretty sure he's not on roids. On the other hand, he was picked to replace the roided up psychopath that hazed people.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Speaking of wrestling "schools": back in the 1980s, journeyman wrestler and noted all-around rear end in a top hat Buzz Sawyer--in between taking liberties with rookies and jobbers in the ring and burning his bridges with nearly every promoter in the US due to his unpredictable behavior and propensity for getting in fights both backstage and at bars--would offer to "train" guys trying to break into the business. Said training consisted of taking a dude's money and then vanishing into the night (maybe if they were lucky, he might give them one training session, where he'd either potato them with punches or stretch them, as part of "paying their dues").

One of the guys whose money he disappeared with was a young Mark Calaway. When he wrestled in WCW as Mean Mark Callous, he finally caught up to Sawyer (who was part of the J-Tex Corporation that was briefly feuding with Flair and Sting, after Flair beat Funk in an "I Quit" match, and before the Horsemen reformed), and was only prevented from beating the poo poo out of him by ring announcer Gary Michael Capetta, who urged Calaway to think of his future in the business vs. getting in trouble with WCW and Turner Broadcasting management (who had purchased WCW only a short time previously) for fighting Sawyer.

Calaway later became known as the Undertaker. Buzz Sawyer died of a drug overdose in 1992.

Oh yeah didn't he do this to Magnum TA as well?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Speaking of Magnum T.A. though, I remember listening to this interview with Ole Anderson and Magnum's car crash came up, so Ole immediately starts talking about how small and frail he was, emphasizing that if he could fit his hand around a guy's wrist they are too weak to wrestle, and so no wonder he was severely injured in a car accident. Ole Anderson is a huge piece of poo poo.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

If you were really lucky, you could be trained by Stu Hart in his "Dungeon," which was in his basement in his Calgary "Hart Mansion."

From everything I've heard, all he did was stretch the poo poo out of everyone he came across. But in a really weird way - as if he got off on it - like he'd make you lie down on your belly, then he'd just lock you up in a painful "hook" If you started to cry, he put on Hank Williams real loud so that his children couldn't hear the grown steroid men crying. At one point a North American Black Bear, who was also a wrestler, lived underneath his porch.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Jim Cornette tried to run over one of his rivals with his car in dowtown Louisville, and also claims to have pulled a gun on Brock Lesnar and threatened to shoot him

I should add that these weren't wrestling things, but real things that he did. Jim Cornette is a cheeseburger eating psychopath.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 25, 2023

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

bagmonkey posted:

my first adult exposure to Jim Cornette was in the new NWA before he said some racist poo poo and got canned. Funny enough, NWA is a complete steaming pile of poo poo now from everything I've seen, so there's that

I'd love a write up of Jim Cornette hijinks honestly

I don't think there's a lot of "hijinx" per se. Jim Cornette's thing is saying offensive poo poo and NEVER apologizing or backing down. The worst example probably being his anti-Muslim rant for pure sustained vitriol. He got fired from the NWA for saying that a wrestler was "braver than a man bicycling across Ethiopia with a bucket of fried chicken on his back." I might have gotten the exact quote wrong, but the thing was he absolutely refused to apologize or acknowledge that it was racist.

A lot of people - and this is wrestling, so it really is A LOT - have probably said and done worse things than him, but he remains so hated in real life because he is constantly running his mouth and he absolutely refuses to back down.

Hulk Hogan, who is constantly apologizing, mitigating, and bullshitting is an interesting contrast, I think. He is probably objectively a worse human being than Jim Cornette, but he's not an argumentative psychopath. I believe Jim Cornette would actually murder someone out of a fit of rage.

A grown man fake-wrestling a blow up doll will send him in a fit of rage (Kenny Omega).

This is where people will bring up that Jim Cornette wrestled a ninja turtle. He says the difference was that it was deliberately presented as A GUY DRESSED UP as a ninja turtle. The whole point was to embarrass him because he was getting beat up by this clown.

Yeah Jim that's very nuanced buddy

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

jim cornette has worked in pro wrestling his entire life and it has led to him only being able to act in ways that get him heat because he cannot turn the heel commentator gimmick off anymore

It's a lot of that but I think he is still nuts independent of that environment. For instance, I recently listened to him tell a story about a car that had an accident next to his property. It swerved off the road and rolled into his fence. Terrible accident. Once he realzed they survived, his reaction was to curse them out on the spot for loving up his fence.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think he also threatened to shoot his lawn guy for not getting rid of leaves properly but I am hazy on all the facts.

He did threaten to shoot Brock Lesnar for grabbing his soon to be wife the wrong way during a bit where he slammed her. She recently had her clitoris pierced.

Brock Lesnar is also a huge piece of poo poo, now that I mention him.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Tugboat/ Shockmaster

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

God drat Vince Russo is so stupid he can barely talk. I read a transcript of something he said about Brock Lesnar and it was just sentence after sentence of "bro trust me."

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I mentioned that Cornette never apologizes, but by his own admission there is at least one time he gave an apology that he didn't mean. It was when he insulted Kevin Dunn.

Kevin Dunn runs all the TV production for WWE. It's said he's forever in Vince McMahon's favor because his dad ran into a burning car to save some production tapes. Cornette hated him because he thought Dunn didn't really care about wrestling and just wanted to be a TV guy.

Anyway, when Cornette joined the WWF he would participate in booking meetings with McMahon, Dunn, and others prior to the shows. At the time, Sable was popular and at one of these meetings Dunn and McMahon wouldn't shut up about her.

Sable is someone else Cornette hated. She wasn't interested in wrestling, she just wanted to be famous, and she had absolutely no talent for anything.

Cornette keeps trying to steer the conversation back to whatever match they need to book, but Dunn and Vince keep going on about "White cotton panties!" and saying things like "She's such a lady!" These two guys were just obsessed with Sable. In a creepy old rich white man way. So Jim's like "Can we talk about the wrestling on this show?" So Dunn, who has buck teeth, turns to Jim and says "I find you tiresome."

Of course Cornette snaps, threatens to knock the buck teeth out of Dunn's mouth, says gently caress you to one and all, and storms out.

Later Vince calls him and says he has to apologize. So he met with Dunn in private and Dunn starts crying because he's real sensitive about his teeth, so Cornette does his fake apology all while thinking "This guy makes millions, why not just fix your teeth if you're that insecure about them?"

In general the WWF made Cornette miserable. That's when his cheeseburger addiction spiraled out of control.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Cubone posted:

lol

is cornette's cheeseburger addiction just exactly what it sounds like?

I don't think he goes on the road any more but he used to always carry "burger towels" so he could just shove them into his huge mouth and not worry about messing up his clothes. If you check on youtube there's probably like 13 hours of Jim Cornette talking about cheeseburgers.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

jim cornette has a story of him and the creative team going to lunch in a nice deli not far from vinces house and vince would always order a large turkey sandiwch with white bread and slathered in mustard, eat it in two bites, and would get pissed off at everyone else taking their time and enjoying their lunch because they were wasting time and not working

Vince didn't "eat food", it was a means to an end - it was like he was actually angry at the sandwich. He'd just pound it down. Nourishment for the next workout.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Vince would just be shoving a turkey club down his throat, screeching "You motherfucker, I will betray Bret Hart."

Jim Cornette would try to talk him out of it, but it was too late. Shawn Michaels promised Vince a mountain full of cocaine, so the screwjob was on.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

isn't that a kids in the hall joke?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I don't think most people know about Verne Gagne period.

Beyond that, yes I think the context is different. He attacked the guy in a fit of dementia but he died because he was elderly. Gagne didn't inject him with Xanax and strangle him in his sleep. Also at the time of the Benoit murders, CTE was not well known. So I think the initial reaction was more "wow this guy went nuts on steroids and drugs" but there I am hazy because I wasn't really following wrestling then, although somehow I managed to tune into the tribute show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Whatever you do, don't tell New Jack Benoit did it because of CTE