Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
gently caress YEAH
Thanks so much! I also am planning to use one or two drawings from that other sheet you sent me

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

blaise rascal

By the way, it's worth mentioning that if any artists want to draw the INSIDE of their houses, then I can let the character go inside as well! Up to you!

blaise rascal

All right, big update time. I'd like to reveal my chosen title for the game:

BYOBÉMON

That's right, we're doing a bit of a pokemon parody! The (extremely stupid) plot will be as follows:

1. A narrator explains that after much travel, you're almost at the BYOBÉTEMPLE, ready to find whatever treasures lie inside.
2. You wander around and talk to NPCs, then find the entrance to the BYOBÉTEMPLE. (This might be the cowboy hat tower that Khanstant made, or something.)
3. Inside, there's a book that explains that to become a BYOBÉMASTER, you must "capture all the monsters."
4. You find a backpack on the ground nearby.
5. You go back outside. Now when you talk to the NPCs, you have the option to ask them to get into your backpack.
6. Eventually, by selecting dialogue options, you convince all the NPCs to get into your bag.
7. Maybe at the end you climb into the bag yourself, or put the entire world into the bag, or something.

Sorry I didn't mention until now that I had the idea of doing a pokemon parody, but I wanted to explore the idea a bit to make sure that it would make sense.

Anyway, the first build of the game is here! Password is "yob"

:siren: https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/byobemon :siren:

Certainly, the UI & controls could use a lot of work. I may conscript Teapot to help with that in discord... Also I may need to take a different background picture, since that one is so top-down, it's making my head hurt.

In case you're curious, here is the currently dialogs.saywhat file:

code:

//Entrypoint for book
# BookEncounter
if has_read_book == false
	This faded, dust-covered book is enormous. The title appears to be BYOBÉDEX.
	Do you begin reading?
	- Yes
		goto # BeginReading
	- No
		goto # EndBookDialogue
else
	You approach the BYOBÉDEX.
	goto # Index

# BeginReading
set has_read_book = true
This book appears to be a bestiary; an encyclopedia of animals.
//You recognize some of these creatures, but many are unfamiliar to you.
In addition to beautiful illustrations, there is writing which describes these creatures in detail.
Skimming through the book, you find a chapter entitled, "A rallying call to BYOBÉMASTERS everywhere."
"Fame and glory await those BYOBÉMASTERS who PUT ALL THE MONSTERS INTO A BAG!"
"Capture all the monsters, and earn your place amongst the stars!"
Your heart swells with ambition. You realize, for the first time ever, your vocation.
You must PUT ALL THE MONSTERS INTO A BAG, and in doing so, become a BYOBÉMASTER. It is your destiny!
Your pulse races as you turn page after page, absorbing all the monsters yet to be bagged.
goto # Index

# Index
What in particular do you look for?
- The biggest, toughest monster in the book.
	goto # ToughMonsters
- Any creature that's utterly bizarre.
	goto # StrangeMonsters
- Something cute!
	goto # CuteMonsters
- Nothing; close the book for now.
	goto # EndBookDialogue

# ToughMonsters
Paging through this book, you encounter many monsters that look like they could tear you to pieces.
The enormous GRIGTAR... The spine-covered BLARG... The poisonous URETHREAU...
Could your quest to PUT ALL THE MONSTERS INTO A BAG be a deathwish? 
You involuntarily shudder, and turn back to the index...
goto # Index

# StrangeMonsters
Many of the monsters described in this book appear to violate not just laws of biology, but of physics as well.
But none is as strange as TOUKESUS, a lifeform that resembles a toucan, but with a fleshy cross-shaped appendage growing out of its back.
The biological purpose of this growth is unknown, but cryptozoologists hypothesize that it's a method of camouflage in case the TOUKESUS ever finds itself inside a church.
You turn back to the index...
goto # Index

# CuteMonsters
Within the pages of this book, there is an abundance of utterly adorable critters.
It's almost as if the contents of this book were designed by corporate executives to appeal to children.
A teensy creature called a CHUTNEY is your pick for cutest mon'. Its big, shiny eyes could end wars! Or start them!
goto # Index

# EndBookDialogue
You step away from the imposing tome.

//Entrypoint for house
# HouseEncounter
Wow! This house is beautiful!
You sprint up to the house and begin kissing it to show your appreciation for its beauty.
HOUSE: Hey. Stop that.

//Entrypoint for Advice-giving guy
# LimeEncounter
ADVICE-GIVING CREATURE: Hey, kid. Want some advice?
- Yes
	ADVICE-GIVING CREATURE: You can "jazz up" any glass of water with just a wedge of lime. Give it a try.
	set lime_knowledge = true
- No
	It's your funeral.
- Is it about the limes again? [if lime_knowledge == true]
	ADVICE-GIVING CREATURE: I know what I know. Take it or leave it, bub.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 30, 2022

blaise rascal

Here's a list of tasks that need doing:

- Make controls & UI better, especially while a dialogue is happening. Lots of room for improvement here in terms of readability & usability
- Implement Schweinhund's & asspenny's npcs
- Give art to FutonForensic's & Schweinhund's & asspenny's npcs (probably choose from the art posted by others)
- Draw art for interior of byobetemple, including art for byobedex & backpack
- Draw a good-looking level with trees and houses and stuff
- Draw main character, with & without a backpack
- Implement additional dialogue options for all npcs where you put them into a bag
- Add music & sound effects
- Add more npcs including the toukesus! (I already have art for this from khanstant)
- Add introduction text at beginning of game, and game-end text at end of game
- optional: Main menu screen, credits screen, etc.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 30, 2022

blaise rascal

I want this to be a collaborative game. So if you all hate my ideas, I won't be offended. We can do something else instead :) Don't shy away from sharing your honest opinion...

I had a discussion with someone on discord about this idea, and we decided that we don't really want this to be a game that highlights the violence inherent in pokemon. Violence is sad, and low-hanging fruit, and idk, i don't want to be preachy about pokemon, you know? So the goal is to move beyond "Pokemon is cockfighting LOL" and get into more surreal territory. I think that will make more sense as the game is getting developed

e: That's partly why I didn't share the pokemon idea until now... I didn't want it to be so much a "game about pokemon," as a "game about having surreal conversations with surreal characters"

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 30, 2022

Khanstant

deep dish peat moss

blaise rascal posted:

I want this to be a collaborative game. So if you all hate my ideas, I won't be offended. We can do something else instead :) Don't shy away from sharing your honest opinion...

I had a discussion with someone on discord about this idea, and we decided that we don't really want this to be a game that highlights the violence inherent in pokemon. Violence is sad, and low-hanging fruit, and idk, i don't want to be preachy about pokemon, you know? So the goal is to move beyond "Pokemon is cockfighting LOL" and get into more surreal territory. I think that will make more sense as the game is getting developed

e: That's partly why I didn't share the pokemon idea until now... I didn't want it to be so much a "game about pokemon," as a "game about having surreal conversations with surreal characters"

a game where you capture and collect different NPCs and call on them like pokemon to do dialog with other NPCs

deep dish peat moss

blaise rascal posted:

This is something I've put a lot of thought into over the last 3 months, how to make a game like that fun. I am no expert game dev but here are my thoughts in case they help anyone here. I've talked to people who loved games I didn't like about what they liked about them and I've studied all the popular games and anyway, I think the key to success with "a game about strange conversations with colorful characters" is actually pretty simple conceptually, but a bit harder to pull off:

In a game with no 'gameplay' beyond talking to people, you'll need to go the extra mile to make players feel like they have some agency in the world, and surprisingly the best way to do this doesn't seem to be giving them tons of decisions that make actual changes to the world state - it's just having the NPCs react to things the player does.

It could be things as simple as like, if you loot every trash-can you see, then NPCs start calling you a trashdigger, or whatever. Tiny things like that. Maybe you're nice to one character and so that character's friends then respect you more and comment on it.

The hardest part for me design-wise has been coming up with actions that the player can take that NPCs can react to. This is something that ironically is probably way easier with a more traditional game, like using Hades as an example when you die and go to the hub the first NPC always comments on how you died, or what killed you.

Two of the things I've been thinking about to approach this are:
1) A 'battle' system except the whole thing is that your character is powerful and has a gun and has no problem slaughtering mere mortals, but maybe has a limited number of bullets in their gun for the entire run, or whatever. So the player can decide to solve problems violently and easily by just shooting whatever's in their way, but that tracks a hidden kill count and NPCs start reacting to you differently at different kill count tiers. Or you can be a good person and not kill anyone unless they really deserve it.

or 2) Having a whole bunch of pointless macguffins that players can steal/interact with/break/destroy/repair/whatever - things that don't necessarily have any bearing on the plot, but that creates a trigger for NPC comments. The more advanced version of this would be like, having several 'quests' where you can solve a problem in one of 3+ different ways, and NPCs comment on the choices you make.

An alternate to #2 is basically having newscasts going on throughout the game world (like a wizard's projection of a news anchor, or sci-fi TVs everywhere, or town criers, or whatever) and have those NPCs continually commenting on both the game's world/universe and on the ways the player is interacting with it.

Ultimately every time I get to this point in the brainstorming session I get really overwhelmed feeling like I need to add a ton of mechanics, interactions, complex flowcharts, etc. to make the game fun. But that's largely because I'm very jaded w/r/t videogames and don't find many of them 'fun' and I keep trapping myself into thinking I need to gamify everything and come up with powerful synergistic mechanics or whatever instead of just creating a cool world.

If I could do everything differently (like if my brain worked differently) what I would want to do with my game is build an entire world full of mundane conversations with NPCs and then try to work in the interesting/plot-relevant stuff because I think that stuff would be waaaaay easier to design with an established world space/characters/etc. But I have super-extreme ADHD and basically I just have to work on whatever part strikes my fancy at any particular minute

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 30, 2022

Khanstant
just realized i didnt animate the arms for the side view lol

blaise already has these but feel free to make evolutions or edit these or whatever anyone else

deep dish peat moss posted:

a game where you capture and collect different NPCs and call on them like pokemon to do dialog with other NPCs

that's how its sposed to work for goblins, the monsters send people to fight. but doing dialogue as the fight is the byob way

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 30, 2022

biosterous

code:
//Entrypoint for SNAKEMOM
# SnakemomEncounter
SNAKEMOM: Oh no. No, I know that look. Wait. Wait. Hold on. Before you try anything, did you ever play Metal Gear Solid 3?
- Yeah, I've played a lot of it, caught the tsuchinoko and everything!
	SNAKEMOM: Ok cool you're get what I'm talking about, hopefully.
- Is that the one in the jungle with a guy made of bees or something?
	SNAKEMOM: Eh, close enough. 
SNAKEMOM: Okay, so there's this optional codec call, where you call SIGINT after hiding in a carboard box right?
- Sure
SNAKEMOM: And Snake's all like "SIGINT, you need to go in the box, then you'll understand what it's like to be in the box!"
- Okay...
SNAKEMOM: And SIGINT is like "Man I don't want to go in the box, Snake"
- Oh wait, I thi-
SNAKEMOM: I don't want to go in the bag, yo. Don't tell me to go in the bag.
- Hmm. But what if you j-
SNAKEMOM: No. No bag.

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

blaise rascal

rear end-penny posted:

in a dialogue where maybe the player is asking about potential work, have the npc say "gently caress a job" or "gently caress a dang job"
I'm implementing this now, in a character called "Hodtogg" who also serves the purpose of pointing the main character in the right direction. I'm thinking the main character and Hodtogg will both wear cowboy hats, which is the official symbol of byobéfans. (Planning to use khanstant's cowboy hot dog guy drawing for this.) Let me know if there's something you (or someone else) might wanna change...

code:
//Entrypoint for hodtogg
# HodtoggEncounter
HODTOGG: hey.
HODTOGG: hey i can answer your questions if you want.

# HodtoggQuestions
HODTOGG: anything you're curious about?
- Is the BYOBÉTEMPLE nearby?
	HODTOGG: yeah it's just up shmorth (which is how you say north in this fantasy world)
	HODTOGG: i love the byobétemple. i'm even wearing my official byobétemple hat.
	HODTOGG: i see you have one as well. always cool to meet fellow byobéfans.
	goto # HodtoggQuestions
- Do you know about potential work nearby? [if hodtogg_work_knowledge == false]
	HODTOGG: gently caress a job.
	set hodtogg_work_knowledge = true
	goto # HodtoggQuestions
- Why do you hate work so much? [if hodtogg_work_knowledge == true]
	HODTOGG: man it's cause gently caress a dang job.
	goto # HodtoggQuestions
- Do you want to get into my backpack? [if has_read_book == true]
	HODTOGG: why would i do that?
	- If you get into my backpack, then you won't have to work anymore.
		HODTOGG: ...
		HODTOGG: ya got me there.
		do remove_this_character()
		do play_capture_sound_effect()
		Hodtogg got into your bag!
		//By the way, blaise did not explain this, but saying goto #end will end the current conversation
		goto #end
	- Hmm... I can't think of any reason.
		HODTOGG: yeah seems like a silly request. anyway...
		goto # HodtoggQuestions
- No questions for now.
	HODTOGG: okey dokey.

blaise rascal

Interesting thoughts. Personally I don't like to include too many times where NPCs react heavily to the actions of the main character. If the main character doesn't do thing X, then the player will never see the cool npc reaction you wrote to thing X. (unless you make doing thing X mandatory.) I kinda like my games to be as close to a book as possible, without being a book. I like "npc reactions to surprising player behavior" to be fun little confetti sprinkled everywhere, while the unskippable / mandatory content is the main course. But I will also say: I agree that it's good when the player has actual agency and changes the world around them. Like in katamari when you roll everything up, the player is definitely affecting the world. Actually, the game we're making now is basically katamari (except you put things into a bag instead of rolling them up)

As far as feeling overwhelmed goes, and not knowing how to plan out big projects, I totally get that. I ended up abandoning all of the big game projects I've worked on in the past. That's why I really like 10-day projects like this one. You really have to force the scope to be small to get everything done in time, and you have to hone in on "what is the essence of something small and fun that i want to bring to life"

hell yeah, i think we have our main character!

biosterous posted:

code:
//Entrypoint for SNAKEMOM
# SnakemomEncounter
SNAKEMOM: Oh no. No, I know that look. Wait. Wait. Hold on. Before you try anything, did you ever play Metal Gear Solid 3?
- Yeah, I've played a lot of it, caught the tsuchinoko and everything!
	SNAKEMOM: Ok cool you're get what I'm talking about, hopefully.
- Is that the one in the jungle with a guy made of bees or something?
	SNAKEMOM: Eh, close enough. 
SNAKEMOM: Okay, so there's this optional codec call, where you call SIGINT after hiding in a carboard box right?
- Sure
SNAKEMOM: And Snake's all like "SIGINT, you need to go in the box, then you'll understand what it's like to be in the box!"
- Okay...
SNAKEMOM: And SIGINT is like "Man I don't want to go in the box, Snake"
- Oh wait, I thi-
SNAKEMOM: I don't want to go in the bag, yo. Don't tell me to go in the bag.
- Hmm. But what if you j-
SNAKEMOM: No. No bag.
lol. this character will be added to the game. i'll probably make this character spawn AFTER the player reads the byobedex, so we don't have to bother including dialogue for a possible conversation beforehand. (story-wise, the player will not have a desire to put anything into a bag until after reading that book.)

Bios did you have a preference on what this character will look like? It's possible I could match it to some existing art...

E: Actually I have a different thought; we COULD make this character spawn before the player reads the book, and just have some other conversation occur at that time (the above conversation would be an unlocked conversation option later in the game)

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 30, 2022

Fredrik1

Gopherslayer
:rock:

blaise rascal posted:

:dance: This is perfect! going straight in the game. By the way, your ghost book is still proudly displayed on my shelf. So good

wow, cool, thank you.

I'm very exited for the game, I'll try to make time for making more stuff.

blaise rascal

Fredrik1 posted:

wow, cool, thank you.

I'm very exited for the game, I'll try to make time for making more stuff.
Awesome!

blaise rascal

Okay here is the current build 0.2!

Play it here (password yob)
:getin: https://blaise-rascal.itch.io/byobemon :getin:

Updates:
- Added hodtogg npc
- Filled in a few placeholder graphics
- Made many updates to dialogue gui, including adding the ability to select dialogue options with the number keys
- Made it possible to capture 3 different npcs (though one of them will need additional work)!

There is still a bunch of changes I want to make, in order to make the game have good "flow." But we're getting closer!

Here, once again, is the dialogs.saywhat file, in case you're curious what all this dialogue looks like behind the scenes. All of this subject to change, of course...
code:

// NOTE: All boolean variables are initialized to FALSE in the main program's code. I should probably move that logic here at some point

//Entrypoint for book
# BookEncounter
	This faded, dust-covered book is enormous. The title appears to be BYOBÉDEX.
	Do you begin reading?
	- Yes
		goto # BeginReading
	- No
		goto # EndBookDialogue
else
	You approach the BYOBÉDEX.
	goto # Index

# BeginReading
set has_read_book = true
This book appears to be a bestiary; an encyclopedia of animals.
//You recognize some of these creatures, but many are unfamiliar to you.
In addition to beautiful illustrations, there is writing which describes these creatures in detail.
Skimming through the book, you find a chapter entitled, "A rallying call to BYOBÉMASTERS everywhere."
"Fame and glory await those BYOBÉMASTERS who PUT ALL THE MONSTERS INTO A BAG!"
"Capture all the monsters, and earn your place amongst the stars!"
Your heart swells with ambition. You realize, for the first time ever, your vocation.
You must PUT ALL THE MONSTERS INTO A BAG, and in doing so, become a BYOBÉMASTER. It is your destiny!
Your pulse races as you turn page after page, absorbing all the monsters yet to be bagged.
goto # Index

# Index
What in particular do you look for?
- The biggest, toughest monster in the book.
	goto # ToughMonsters
- Any creature that's utterly bizarre.
	goto # StrangeMonsters
- Something cute!
	goto # CuteMonsters
- Is the HOUSE in this book? [if has_asked_if_house_is_monster == true]
	set knows_house_is_monster = true
	Yes, in fact, you do find an entry on the HOUSE. The BYOBÉDEX explains that monstrous houses can be distinguished from their regular, inanimate counterparts by their pink-and-red coloring, as well as their ability to speak.
	You make a mental note of this information.
	goto # Index
- Nothing; close the book for now.
	goto # EndBookDialogue

# ToughMonsters
Paging through this book, you encounter many monsters that look like they could tear you to pieces.
The enormous GRIGTAR... The spine-covered BLARG... The poisonous URETHREAU...
Could your quest to PUT ALL THE MONSTERS INTO A BAG be a deathwish? 
You involuntarily shudder, and turn back to the index...
goto # Index

# StrangeMonsters
Many of the monsters described in this book appear to violate not just laws of biology, but of physics as well.
But none is as strange as TOUKESUS, a lifeform that resembles a toucan, but with a fleshy cross-shaped appendage growing out of its back.
The biological purpose of this growth is unknown, but cryptozoologists hypothesize that it's a method of camouflage in case the TOUKESUS ever finds itself inside a church.
goto # Index

# CuteMonsters
Within the pages of this book, there is an abundance of utterly adorable critters.
It's almost as if the contents of this book were designed by corporate executives to appeal to children.
A teensy creature called a CHUTNEY is your pick for cutest mon'. Its big, shiny eyes could end wars! Or start them!
goto # Index

# EndBookDialogue
You step away from the imposing tome.

//Entrypoint for house
# HouseEncounter
if has_met_house == false
	set has_met_house = true
	Wow! This house is beautiful!
	You sprint up to the house and begin kissing it to show your appreciation for its beauty.
	HOUSE: Hey. Stop that.
else
		HOUSE: You heard me.
	else
		HOUSE: What now?
		- Would you consider getting inside my backpack? [if has_asked_if_house_is_monster == false]
			HOUSE: What on earth? Where did you come up with that idea?
			- A, uh, a book told me that it's my destiny to put all the monsters into a bag.
				HOUSE: Interesting. And you think I'm a monster? It seems to me that I am a house, not a monster.
				- Maybe you're a monster, and you just don't realize it?
					set has_asked_if_house_is_monster = true
					goto # ProveHouseMonster
				- I guess you're right.
					HOUSE: Of course I am. Now leave me be.
		- I can prove to you that you're a monster. [if has_asked_if_house_is_monster == true]
			HOUSE: Oh yeah?
			goto # ProveHouseMonster
		- See you later.

# ProveHouseMonster

HOUSE: Why do you think I'm a monster?
- Well, you can talk, right? Houses can't normally talk. [if has_mentioned_talking == false]
	set has_mentioned_talking = true
	HOUSE: Yeah, and I suppose, telephones are monsters too, right? Are those kids' toys that make the animal sounds monsters as well?????
	HOUSE: Your argument melts beneath my faultless logic, like so many subprime mortgage lenders melting under the weight of their own toxic loans.
	goto # ProveHouseMonster
- The housing industry engages in all kinds of monstrous activity. I have this NYTimes article... [if has_mentioned_nytimes == false]
	set has_mentioned_nytimes = true
	HOUSE: Oh God, here you go with generalizations. I suppose it never occurred to you that I might be a zero-carbon orphanage for runaway capybaras, and that I charge far below the average rent for my area?
	- Well, no, I suppose it didn't.
		HOUSE: Yeah, bet you don't feel like such hot poo poo anymore.
		goto # ProveHouseMonster
	- But is that true?
		HOUSE: That's beside the point, isn't it? Burden of proof, bitch.
		goto # ProveHouseMonster
- Look behind you! (try to stuff the HOUSE in your pack while they're distracted) [if has_tried_distracting == false]
	set has_tried_distracting = true
	HOUSE: What are you trying to pull? I can't turn around even if I wanted to.
	You feel silly for trying that.
	goto # ProveHouseMonster
- The BYOBÉDEX said that you are a monster. [if knows_house_is_monster == true]
	HOUSE: Oh, it did, did it?
	HOUSE: ...
	HOUSE: All right, I'll get in your bag. If it gets you to shut up for a second.
	do _remove_character_currently_near()
	//do play_capture_sound_effect()
	Somehow, the House managed to fit itself into your bag!
- I guess I can't think of a reason.
	HOUSE: No, you can't. Now leave me be.

//Entrypoint for limecreature
# LimeEncounter
ADVICE-GIVING CREATURE: Hey, kid. Want some advice?
- Yes
	ADVICE-GIVING CREATURE: You can "jazz up" any glass of water with just a wedge of lime. Give it a try.
	set lime_knowledge = true
- No
	ADVICE-GIVING CREATURE: It's your funeral.
- Is it about the limes again? [if lime_knowledge == true]
	ADVICE-GIVING CREATURE: I know what I know. Take it or leave it, bub.
- Do you want to get into my backpack? [if has_read_book == true] [if lime_knowledge == true]
	ADVICE-GIVING CREATURE: Hmm. An interesting proposition.
	ADVICE-GIVING CREATURE: Perhaps being inside a backpack would give me the opportunity to learn some new advice!
	ADVICE-GIVING CREATURE: Like, if it turns out to be terrible, I could start telling people, "My advice to you is to NOT get into that one guy's backpack."
	- So you'll do it?
		ADVICE-GIVING CREATURE: Yes. But there's one condition - first, you must defeat me in an ADVICE-OFF!!!!!!
		ADVICE-GIVING CREATURE: Whoever's advice is better, wins! What do you say?
		- Let's do this!
			Blaise has not implemented the advice-off yet. Let's just make the advice-giving creature get captured.
			Advice-Giving Creature got into your bag!
		- No deal!
			ADVICE-GIVING CREATURE: Your loss, bub.

//Entrypoint for hodtogg
# HodtoggEncounter
HODTOGG: hey.
HODTOGG: hey i can answer your questions if you want.
goto # HodtoggQuestions

# HodtoggQuestions
HODTOGG: anything you're curious about?
- Do you know about potential work nearby? [if hodtogg_work_knowledge == false]
	HODTOGG: gently caress a job.
	set hodtogg_work_knowledge = true
	goto # HodtoggQuestions
- Why do you hate work so much? [if hodtogg_work_knowledge == true]
	HODTOGG: man it's cause gently caress a dang job.
	goto # HodtoggQuestions
- How do I get to the BYOBÉTEMPLE?
	HODTOGG: it's just up shmorth (which is how you say north in this fantasy world)
	HODTOGG: i love the byobétemple. i'm even wearing my official byobétemple hat.
	HODTOGG: i see you have one as well. always cool to meet fellow byobéfans.
	goto # HodtoggQuestions
- Do you want to get into my backpack? [if has_read_book == true]
	HODTOGG: why would i do that?
	- If you get into my backpack, then you won't have to work anymore. [if hodtogg_work_knowledge == true]
		HODTOGG: ...
		HODTOGG: ya got me there.
		Hodtogg got into your bag!
		//By the way, blaise did not explain this, but saying goto #end will end the current conversation
		goto # END
	- Hmm... I can't think of any reason.
		HODTOGG: yeah seems like a silly request. anyway...
		goto # HodtoggQuestions
- No questions for now.
	HODTOGG: okey dokey.

# ByobetempleEncounter
The sign on the door says, "WELCOME, TRAVELER, TO THE BYOBÉTEMPLE."
"NO LOITERING."
Blaise has not gotten room transitions working yet, so just walk outside the screen to the left to get to the temple interior

blaise rascal

If you're reading this and wondering what to work on, you can come up with some ADVICE for the ADVICE-OFF

Example:
You can "jazz up" any glass of water with just a wedge of lime. Give it a try.

I'll need some examples of both GOOD and BAD advice for this li'l dialogue

SIDS Vicious

if you ask someone if theyre a cop they have to tell you

wow that was an old sig lol
chec k out my drawings the sidsons :)

Ass-penny

lmao this game is sick so far.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Stoner Sloth

blaise rascal posted:

If you're reading this and wondering what to work on, you can come up with some ADVICE for the ADVICE-OFF

Example:
You can "jazz up" any glass of water with just a wedge of lime. Give it a try.

I'll need some examples of both GOOD and BAD advice for this li'l dialogue

always look both ways before crossing your eyes

Schweinhund

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Never make any dates or appointments, then you don't have to buy a calendar.

blaise rascal

Haha, all excellent. Thanks. Keep 'em coming!

Schweinhund posted:

Dialogue

1) character: I have an important mission for you, do you wish to accept it?
a)yes -> go to 2
b)no -> go to 2
c)what is the mission? Go to 1.

2) Thanks for accepting the mission. Your mission is to get me a taco.

(give taco to character)
3) I wanted a soft taco, this is a hard taco.

art assets:

Schweinhund, I'm gonna implement this character. Do you have a preference on what the character looks like? You could pick from among the art posted in this thread, or perhaps use the drawing on the left here:

(Plant Monster drew these amazing critters. I already have plans for everyone but the 2-headed creature on the left.)

Schweinhund

Looks good to me!

blaise rascal

Schweinhund posted:

Looks good to me!
Okay, cool. As far as how to get the NPC into the bag, I envision that they refuse to talk to you until you do the mission. And then when you fail the mission, they say that you should be put into jail. They'll ask you if you know of any jails nearby, and you'll have the option to say that everything outside of the backpack is a jail. The NPC would say that, obviously, they are not a criminal, so they don't belong in jail, so then they'll voluntarily climb into your backpack. Sound good?

Also, still need a name for this NPC... Maybe uh, Japeshit? (cross between jape and apeshit)

...Naming npcs is hard. I'm trying to think of what that art looks like it should be named

bad guy

blaise rascal posted:

...Naming npcs is hard. I'm trying to think of what that art looks like it should be named

talk to transformer's got your back bro:

quote:

The best names for NPCs are:

1. Polishthunder

2. Youstwolf

3. alchetron

4. Upplet

5. Kastor

6. Yourfacer

7. Mailfist

8. Divy4

9. lutinr

10. Ms.Haendimu

11. Bashgory

12. Velegn

13. Ceelmir

blaise rascal

bad guy posted:

talk to transformer's got your back bro:
:stare: Polishthunder...

I like Youstwolf, lol. Thanks for the recs

bad guy

your welcome, here are some more

quote:

1. butttheshitmanfart

2. Cloyd

3. Eduardo_A

4. ???

7. headguy

8. Crap4JK

9. Sid

10. Olli_the_cool

11. Woof

12. Furry_

13. Ohfuckthisguy

14. JeremyJones

15. a.berta

16. Jim

17. DO_Not_Go_This_Way

18. Mr_Fossil

19. Guy_E

20. Mr_Pussypants

21. Ramey

22. Swear0n

23. Nikos_of_KAPEX

24. Mandocz

25. Itzik

26. Gene

27. Helldude12

28. Sh4ts

29. F4rwh4r

30. 18ba4 (I don’t think that is my name)

31. fusil33

32. Lars_Of_KAPEX

33. Sigmund

34. Corte

35. He8Er

36. UnkemptDude

37. Richie

38. BillyZ

39. Joe

40. Bee_D

41. Alecto

42. fau7

43. Hogcock_Cope

44. Herr_Fitt

45. Macguff

46. Serb

47. Chlidrens_Time

bad guy

just one more and you should have all the names you ever need

quote:

1. Fart gently caress Hell

2. Bald Scruffy Cheerleader

3. Laundry Lady

4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle

5. Angel’s Due

6. Tender Hooker

7. Strange Farmer

8. Crusty Bastards

9. Roaming Drunks

10. Drunk Dick

11. Waiter

12. Buggy Driver

13. Resident Watcher

14. Raging Dude

15. Dumb Drunk

16. Greasy Stuffer

17. Hip Hop Lover

18. Hot Cyclist

19. Mr. Drunkard

20. Dumber Drunk

21. Stuff Brain in Old Basset Hound

22. Fat rear end Baboon

23. Beat-Up Baby

Khanstant

blaise rascal

bad guy posted:

haha, these are great. thanks!

oh this is perfect, thank you!

bad guy

//Talking to Ms. Haendimu

#Haendimu
Ms. Haendimu: I am Ms. Haendimu and I see the future. The spirits surround me, whispering of one who will come from far away to put me in a backpack.

-That's me!
[if moustache_on==falso]goto #HaendimuReject
[if moustache_on==true] goto #HaendimuCapture
-Hubba hubba. Is there a Mr. Haendimu?
Ms. Haendimu: There will be.
-Can you tell my future if I pay you?
Ms. Haendimu: Yeah, I can tell your future. I can tell you won't pay me. Buzz off!

#HaendimuReject
Ms. Haendimu: Nice try, but the spirits say that he will look different. He will have a moustache.

#HaendimuCapture
Ms. Haendimu: Just as the spirits foretold! In preparation of this day, I have coated myself in backpack grease, to better enter your backpack.
Ms. Haendimu got into your bag!

blaise rascal

Hello all. Real life took over for several days, and I haven't done any work on the game. But I'm back at it tonight! It may be a 15 day project instead of a 10 day project at this point, but it's about the journey, or something

bad guy posted:

//Talking to Ms. Haendimu

#Haendimu
Ms. Haendimu: I am Ms. Haendimu and I see the future. The spirits surround me, whispering of one who will come from far away to put me in a backpack.

-That's me!
[if moustache_on==falso]goto #HaendimuReject
[if moustache_on==true] goto #HaendimuCapture
-Hubba hubba. Is there a Mr. Haendimu?
Ms. Haendimu: There will be.
-Can you tell my future if I pay you?
Ms. Haendimu: Yeah, I can tell your future. I can tell you won't pay me. Buzz off!

#HaendimuReject
Ms. Haendimu: Nice try, but the spirits say that he will look different. He will have a moustache.

#HaendimuCapture
Ms. Haendimu: Just as the spirits foretold! In preparation of this day, I have coated myself in backpack grease, to better enter your backpack.
Ms. Haendimu got into your bag!
Haha, that is exactly the vibe I'm going for! Thanks! I wonder how the player gets a moustache... You know, to keep it simple, maybe they can just push their lip up into a moustache face, or something. Plus that way we wouldn't need to do moustache art...

SIDS Vicious

do you need any backgrounds i painted the hundred acre wood and if you need a background i can post it (:

wow that was an old sig lol
chec k out my drawings the sidsons :)

blaise rascal

BONER X posted:

do you need any backgrounds i painted the hundred acre wood and if you need a background i can post it (:
Go ahead and post your background! There's a good chance I can work it into the game.

It's worth mentioning that Khanstant posted some trees and stuff here:

If your background does not mesh stylistically with these trees, it'll be okay; I'll add it somewhere else.

free Trapt CD

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

bad guy posted:

Beat-Up Baby: unbelievable baby. Just unbelievable.
Player: ?
BUB: You ever get all excited for something and it happens and it's totally not what you expected, baby?
BUB: I waited nine months and I thought getting born was gonna be the best thing ever
BUB: doctor gotta slap my rear end or something, I don't know, past that it's all gravy baby I thought
BUB: but there I am making my debut you know, crowning etc
BUB: and the doctor just clocks me one. Straight cold cocks me, baby.
BUB: just absolutely goes to town on me for a good five minutes and I mean god drat, I was already crying but
P: ...
BUB: it keeps happening
BUB: can't walk down the street without somebody tripping me over and poo poo
BUB: I called the suicide prevention hotline and the guy on the other end told me he'd "come to my house and turn me around some"
BUB: you know the Buddha says existence is suffering baby?
BUB: well this time around the wheel of reincarnation I got the jackpot, in like, suffering terms
BUB: thanks Vanna, I'll take an L
P: (shifts from foot to foot)
BUB: yup. Sure is hard being Beat-Up Baby.
BUB: tell you what, I wish I could take it all back, crawl right back into whatever damp space i came from
P: (motions to backpack)
BUB: eh. Any port in a storm eh baby
P: *got Beat-Up Baby*

nut

Shawn: you ever see those pictures on Facebook where they open the sorted garbage and recycling bins to reveal both holes go to the same, giant bag?
Shawn: Sometimes I feel like I'm that bag and all the trash and recycling are always being dumped on me.
Shawn: Other times I think of the picture on Facebook in the replies that, as a counterpoint, shows two different bags with no intermingling of trash and recycling.
Shawn: Those times I feel like I'm the dump where both bags go and where over hundreds if not thousands of years, those bags will break and decompose and the trash and recycling both get dumped on me at last.
Shawn: Do you understand me?

Char: Yes/No

>if Yes
Shawn: No you don't. No one does.

>if No
Shawn: Oh, that's okay.

bad guy

blaise rascal posted:

Hello all. Real life took over for several days, and I haven't done any work on the game. But I'm back at it tonight! It may be a 15 day project instead of a 10 day project at this point, but it's about the journey, or something

Haha, that is exactly the vibe I'm going for! Thanks! I wonder how the player gets a moustache... You know, to keep it simple, maybe they can just push their lip up into a moustache face, or something. Plus that way we wouldn't need to do moustache art...

i thgouht maybe they could get the moustache from UnkemptMan but if that's going to be too hard to code and can just rewrite it so there's no item/quest involved

bad guy

#Upplet

Upplet: What up. My name is Miles Upplet. They call me that because I got ups. Hang time. They also call me Frequent Flyer Miles.
Upplet: Want to play basketball?
-Yeah!
Upplet: I will dunk on your face. If you look in a dictionary for "humiliated" there will be a picture of me going to town on your face, dunkwise. At dinner your companion will let you know you've got something on your face and when you try to take it off, you'll realize it's my dunk, and it's permanent. Your health care plan does not cover the experimental procedures necessary to give you the therapy you will need after your face is the location of my dunk. On Google Maps if you try to get to Your Face, it will direct you to My Dunk. The street view will be my dunk, all over your face, in every direction. The only thing I'm better at than dunking on your face, is telling you how much I'm going to dunk on your face. I guess I don't really have anything else to say, so I'm going to get in your backpack now.

Schweinhund

I made rocks.

individually:
https://goons.neocities.org/rocks/bluerock1.png
https://goons.neocities.org/rocks/bluerock2.png
https://goons.neocities.org/rocks/bluerock3.png
https://goons.neocities.org/rocks/bluerock4.png
https://goons.neocities.org/rocks/greyrock1.png
https://goons.neocities.org/rocks/greyrock2.png
https://goons.neocities.org/rocks/greyrock3.png
https://goons.neocities.org/rocks/greyrock4.png