Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

refleks posted:

I already know R and Python, dont need another pos

the trick is to forget r and python and do julia instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

I don’t know anything about this language so I’m gonna assume it’s bad like every other trendy language

except it is not very trendy, been around for some time and if anything i think hype has gone down a bit, which suggests it might actually be good!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am a bit of a fanboy in general. not without its own messes: the gc is garbage, compilation pauses kind of stupid, you can get fancy with the typing in two different directions (building both towers of overly generic type nonsense while also having code which just abuses dynamic types badly), but does the usual numpy'ish stuff well, does gpu really neatly, and has had a pretty good focus from the start which means it has a lot of the more important libraries really well done and very composable.

e.g. the dtable stuff is a good case for composability, pretty freely gluing together distribution-unaware implementations with a distributed scheduler into a new thing without changing those components at all: https://julialang.org/blog/2021/12/dtable-performance-assessment/

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

If your language of choice does stop the world garbage collection it should just delete itself and save everyone time.

i mean, most every gc has a stop the world phase, but also julias gc is bad in ways beyond having an excessive stop the world.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

akadajet posted:

does Julia even have threads??

it has if anything too many parallelism constructs, including but not limited to threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as well as n:m tasks/channels, mpi, a bunch of its own distributed models, and that's only the stuff under the julia org itself.

the excellent cuda support remains the killer application for me with julia. the getting started is little more than installing the package and throwing in a @cuda before any expression you want to evaluate on gpu. more to it only as you find yourself needing more features, making it trivial to experiment your way through stuff.