Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Alan Smithee posted:

expensive as in gold/jewels? Baldur's Gate never made you pay for spells so that always surprised me when I heard the TT one did

Yeah-- the resurrection spells have varying levels of gems that get consumed as part of the spell. Revivify (1 minute or less, can be done in combat) costs diamonds worth a total of 300 gp, Raise the Dead (10 days) costs 500 gp of diamonds, Resurrection (100 years) costs 1,000 gp of diamonds, and True Resurrection (200 years, don't even need a body) costs 25,000 gp of diamonds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah it'll be phrased in the rule book as (made up everything for example) 5,000 gold worth of diamonds consumed for the spell. There is technically another way to resurrect someone and that is casting Wish which is basically max level end game stuff.

e: beat me too it and with real values, but hey at least I got wish in there.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Dameius posted:

Yeah it'll be phrased in the rule book as (made up everything for example) 5,000 gold worth of diamonds consumed for the spell. There is technically another way to resurrect someone and that is casting Wish which is basically max level end game stuff.

e: beat me too it and with real values, but hey at least I got wish in there.

Also Reincarnate, which is the fun one.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Antitonic posted:

Also Reincarnate, which is the fun one.

"If it looks like I'm going to come back as a gnome just let me die"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Gave up on show. Death doesn't matter, Scanlan sucks incredible rear end still, Keylith is still a drag that saves every episode with a big spell.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Doltos posted:

Keylith is still a drag that saves every episode with a big spell.

What

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

If you're not into the show, that's fine, but I do find it extremely funny to say "Death doesn't matter" when Vex's death dramatically changed the story arcs not only of Vax but also Percy (the Deathwalker's Ward was originally intended for him).

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
She's an extremely powerful character and it'd be uncharitable but not entirely wrong to describe her characterization thus far as "you can do anything, if only you believe in yourself". Young, awkward, and figuring out how to manage ludicrous expectations is an archetype because so many people connect with it. It's also common enough some folks will bounce off of it hard, especially if it feels unearned or shallow compared to other depictions.

In the CR fandom, these complaints were typically secondary to a load of sexist bullshit. I think Show!Keyleth and Stream!Keyleth get a lot of unearned hate, but I see tiring of Keyleth ex Machina as perfectly valid (particularly when you don't connect with the character). I have the stream as context and generally like both Marisha and Stream!Keyleth, so I'm less irked by it. But I get it.

CuwiKhons posted:

If you're not into the show, that's fine, but I do find it extremely funny to say "Death doesn't matter" when Vex's death dramatically changed the story arcs not only of Vax but also Percy (the Deathwalker's Ward was originally intended for him).
A dead character is now notdead. Within the four corners of the show, Vax hasn't been shown to desire much of anything other than being with his sister. So after she died, he made a vague and unclear sacrifice(?) that got him back his sister and also amazing new armor and powerful skills and also the ability to fly.

Obviously with the stream I know the heartwrenching reality and implications of his deal. On the show, what we learn from those episodes is that there are ways to reverse death and if those don't work, there are other more powerful ways to bring them back. Death is demonstrably quite impermanent so, yeah, I can get where the complaint comes from even if I'm unbothered by resurrection in a fantasy series.

We know the cast and writers felt this exact issue was a concern as well, based on the Craven Edge rewrite and their associated commentary.

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012
Keyleth has gotten two How Do You Wanna Do This moments, one per season. She gets some flashy stuff for trash mobs, but she only Saves The Episode With A Big Spell twice: the Season 2 episode explicitly about her character arc and backstory, and Sylas in Season 1 as the culmination of a multi-episode subplot about the Sun Tree.

Every other big victory is some other character: In Season 1, Grog gets Brimscythe (though it was really a team kill), Percy gets Stonefell and Anders and Delilah. In Season 2, Vax gets the not-beholder, Scanlan wounds the sphinx and finishes Umbrasyl, Grog gets Kevdak, and Vex gets Syldor.

Keyleth is just a hate magnet for weirdos.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Detective Eyestorm posted:

Keyleth has gotten two How Do You Wanna Do This moments, one per season. She gets some flashy stuff for trash mobs, but she only Saves The Episode With A Big Spell twice: the Season 2 episode explicitly about her character arc and backstory, and Sylas in Season 1 as the culmination of a multi-episode subplot about the Sun Tree.

Every other big victory is some other character: In Season 1, Grog gets Brimscythe (though it was really a team kill), Percy gets Stonefell and Anders and Delilah. In Season 2, Vax gets the not-beholder, Scanlan wounds the sphinx and finishes Umbrasyl, Grog gets Kevdak, and Vex gets Syldor.

goon media literacy has always been ahhhhhh not great

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I think this is partly a feature of how the show has recalibrated a lot of group moments as "one character saves the team" moments so they all get spotlight character development. It works but it comes at the cost of showing them working ad a team.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Maybe we've just got different defintions of it? As a couple examples, in the very first episode she reflexively saves the entire party from the unkillable dragon that massacres armies and has killed every mercenary band in the realm. In the fourth, she singlehandedly turns the tides against the Briarwood ghouls(?) that were destroying both the party and the soldiers guarding them.

Sylas was well set up within the show's plot and Pyrah was clearly A Very Keyleth Episode but it's not a gripe made up from wholecloth.

Agreed on the weirdos, though. The gendered critiques are never tough to spot.

ETA:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think this is partly a feature of how the show has recalibrated a lot of group moments as "one character saves the team" moments so they all get spotlight character development. It works but it comes at the cost of showing them working ad a team.
I really don't envy their challenge on this. You don't want every fight to be assembling the MegaZord but it's tough to have an obvious group effort and not suffer from increasingly inflated enemies. The crowd control from Grog and the Horde was one alternative, everyone giving their best and clearly wounding Umbrasyl was another.

I feel like that's one of the bigger challenges any TTRPG adaptation is going to face. At the table, it's largely a function of initiative order with every blow clearly contributing to the killing blow -- with a few encounter-shattering exceptions [MarishaFallsBackwards.gif]. On screen, it's tough to avoid last=most important.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 28, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

Maybe we've just got different defintions of it? As a couple examples, in the very first episode she reflexively saves the entire party from the unkillable dragon that massacres armies and has killed every mercenary band in the realm. In the fourth, she singlehandedly turns the tides against the Briarwood ghouls(?) that were destroying both the party and the soldiers guarding them.
I don't really noticed that, for me it was just "primary caster does some overpowered stuff to remove a momentary problem" as usual, you just nod and keep watching. I'm sure that when the MN will be adapted we'll see a Caleb more or less in the same role. The "Saves The Episode With A Big Spell" moments for me are stuff like her in Pyrah or Pike in Whitestone.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

By reflexively saves you mean she... made a shield out of vines that saved them from falling rocks because Brimscythe chose to give them a 'rocks fall, everybody dies' death instead of handling them personally like he does everybody else? I think that's more on Brimscythe than anyone else, because Vox Machina definitively did not win that fight against him. And when they did win the fight against him, it was a team effort. As far as the undead horde, I assume you mean the ice storm which really just allowed them to get out of the street and to the Sun Tree, where Pike proceeded to save the day, not Keyleth. And if Keyleth or Pike taking out a ton of undead bugs you then I have bad news - they're both directly from the stream (that's a general 'you' not a specific 'you', I'm pretty sure you're a stream watcher). Magic users are good at AoE. It's why the ol' wizard Fireball is so infamous.

The only major moments Keyleth had this season were the episode that was explicitly about her in Pyrah and maybe saving Vax and Percy from the treants in the Echo Tree. Which was cool, but those were just lackeys. Vex was the one that actually ended that fight. Oh and I guess the Plane Shift, which she hosed up on and split the party.

If some people don't like Keyleth, that's fine. It really is - there's main characters I don't like in all three campaigns. Vax is my least favorite of the VM bunch (although he's actually been better in the cartoon and Scanlan has overtaken him for least favorite) but I'm maybe a little oversensitive to Keyleth bashing because oh my god were people godawful about her in Campaign 1. It's just one of those things I don't trust at a glance.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CuwiKhons posted:

If some people don't like Keyleth, that's fine. It really is - there's main characters I don't like in all three campaigns. Vax is my least favorite of the VM bunch (although he's actually been better in the cartoon and Scanlan has overtaken him for least favorite) but I'm maybe a little oversensitive to Keyleth bashing because oh my god were people godawful about her in Campaign 1. It's just one of those things I don't trust at a glance.

Yeah, the 'oh, she's just the GM's girlfriend' stuff was awful.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Scanlan's likeability was always bound to take a hit in any adaptation. It's practically impossible to translate what made him so great in TV form.

Sam Riegel/Scanlan's greatest strength is his humor, particularly his improv. You can't improvise in a scripted animated show. CR's humor in general never worked nearly as well in scripted form.
There's also the matter of the audience he's playing to. At the table he's joking with his close friends which are all in on the joke so even at his crudest, creepiest and most vulgar everyone can laugh out of character even if in character they just look at him in disgust. In the show only the in character reaction is left. Even for the audience it's no longer as easy to separate Sam making a joke with Scanlan being awful as the character is all you see.

It's also harder to show what a great D&D player Sam is and how brilliantly he used Scanlan's abilities but that's more of a general problem for everyone. In the game you have precise knowledge of what resources everyone is working with. How much HP, which spells, how many times they can use them, etc. As a result in the game a clutch move that saves everyone is a clever play, in the show it's a lazy rear end-pull.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 28, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

YggdrasilTM posted:

I don't really noticed that, for me it was just "primary caster does some overpowered stuff to remove a momentary problem" as usual, you just nod and keep watching.
Agreed! But without the tabletop context - as Senjuro notes - that's not particularly great storytelling or worldbuilding. As I mentioned above, I'm quite forgiving of it... I just see how it can be a sticking point for people beyond "GM's girlfriend again :jerkbag:"

CuwiKhons posted:

By reflexively saves you mean she... made a shield out of vines that saved them from falling rocks because Brimscythe chose to give them a 'rocks fall, everybody dies' death instead of handling them personally like he does everybody else? I think that's more on Brimscythe than anyone else, because Vox Machina definitively did not win that fight against him. And when they did win the fight against him, it was a team effort. As far as the undead horde, I assume you mean the ice storm which really just allowed them to get out of the street and to the Sun Tree, where Pike proceeded to save the day, not Keyleth.
The pilot opened with the Rocks Fall Party Dies scene from the trailer, in which Brimscythe trivially slaughters the group of brave heroes who are canonically seen as more competent and reputable than Vox Machina. When it comes time to finish VM, Brimscythe (supercharged by Keyleth) blows easily through Pike's shield and drops the mountainside on the party and Keyleth - already having both frozen and failed during the fight - saves the party from certain doom by throwing up a (thorny) vine shield as the rocks are falling (not quickly enough to spare Grog's hand/arm, apparently). In case there's any question about what happened, Pike explicitly throws out:

quote:

Except we didn't die, because of you Keyleth. You hear me? We're alive because of you.
For the ghouls(? I have no idea what they actually were), I did actually mean the fourth episode. The Briarwoods send the whateverthefucks to steal back the book while Vox Machina is under house arrest and easily dispatch most of the guards and are thoroughly trouncing the party and remaining soldiers. As Keyleth hides under the table and Pike repeatedly fails to cast, the rest of the party is shown to be entirely ineffective and at last overwhelmed. Percy gives a strained yelp from the ground as he struggles to keep the enemy from killing him:

quote:

Keyleth, it's time. Prove yourself!
And Keyleth goes on to create a miniature sun that turns the near-invincible foes into enemies that can be easily (literally, what up Percy?) stomped to death and decapitated by Grog's bare hands. Again, hoping to make things very clear, when Pike tells the group she'll be staying behind to figure out her Everlight stuff, she has two interactions. First is a tearful goodbye with Grog, the second and final is with Keyleth:

quote:

You're their light now
Which is met initially by an anxious stare and then a solemn nod. To be clear, episode 4 is probably my favorite episode of the first season in part because it's the one that convinced me they could make a show of it after the first couple fell a little flatter for me. But it, like the pilot, like freeing Cassandra, resolves its primary tension with "Keyleth is both super powerful and unsure of herself".

I love the coming of age story and growing into leadership story Marisha told with Keyleth and think the second season did a great job hitting some really subtle beats that showed her growth and maturity.

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm maybe a little oversensitive to Keyleth bashing because oh my god were people godawful about her in Campaign 1. It's just one of those things I don't trust at a glance.
Hell, same. For some reason, that manifests for me as looking to see if there's merit behind

None of it is that deep, I just felt it worth pointing out that however uncharitable Doltos' takes were, there is explicit backing in the show. Goon media literacy cracks aside :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Senjuro posted:

There's also the matter of the audience he's playing to. At the table he's joking with his close friends which are all in on the joke so even at his crudest, creepiest and most vulgar everyone can laugh out of character even if in character they just look at him in disgust. In the show only the in character reaction is left. Even for the audience it's no longer as easy to separate Sam making a joke with Scanlan being awful as the character is all you see.

There's a very interesting bit I noticed re-watching the first campaign at one point when Orion was going full Orion and was trying to be funny you could see Sam shake his head a little and say just audibly something like "don't do it" so Sam knows what lines not to cross.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

There's a very interesting bit I noticed re-watching the first campaign at one point when Orion was going full Orion and was trying to be funny you could see Sam shake his head a little and say just audibly something like "don't do it" so Sam knows what lines not to cross.

still the biggest bag-fumbling in recent memory. that dude coulda been set for life

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Senjuro posted:

Scanlan's likeability was always bound to take a hit in any adaptation. It's practically impossible to translate what made him so great in TV form.
I think another factor is the song parodies he came up with off the top of his head on-stream that were used as Bardic Inspiration which were all axed for the cartoon.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Sam is very good at knowing when a joke is in poor taste or how to phrase a somewhat rude joke so it lands properly instead of offending someone. Like, he had a running joke about Scanlan's dick being referred to as "the cube" (because it was the same length as the width). It's a dick joke, but it's a dick joke on Scanlan because he's saying he's got a tiny dick. That can be funny, or at least less offputting than most if you're tired of dick jokes overall. Orion is just like "Oh man, my character is hard right now!" which... isn't funny and is just kind of a weird thing to bring up. It's not a joke because the only punchline is "My character is horny for your character." Sam knows there has to be a punchline and the funniest punchline is when he's taking shots at himself.

Which reminds me - never forget that time Laura Bailey murdered Sam Riegel live on air with "Your face is smaller but your teeth are the same size!"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CuwiKhons posted:

Which reminds me - never forget that time Laura Bailey murdered Sam Riegel live on air with "Your face is smaller but your teeth are the same size!"
Now you're just making me think of "The Ashley Johnson Roast of Sam Riegel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uAu55Nb5F0

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

One of my favourite Sam moments is when he isn't even at the table but skyping in.

The group is in a dangerous place and Marisha/Keyleth says "We have to be careful about getting too high" and without missing a beat Sam leans in on the laptop and says "Marisha has never said those words in her life" and everyone just dies laughing

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I get the impression Sam is constantly calculating the absolute most and least he can get away with. He'll mime being hosed onstage during a live show, and he won't even look at the art of the other player characters. It's fantastic

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Remember: this guy's won an honest-to-god Emmy

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

Honestly surprised he isn't credited on the show as Emmy Award Winning Actor Sam Riegel.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
an Emmy looks like it would be painful

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Crazy Ted posted:

I’m watching campaign one right now and in the opener for “The Cindergrove Revisited” Chris Hardwick makes reference to the fact that work-Sam is very much not Critical Role-Sam.

“I've been working with this guy for the last couple of years on Sanjay & Craig. He gets all businessy, he's a responsible adult in the workplace.”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

tbh work Chris is probably not on screen Chris either

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Alan Smithee posted:

tbh work Chris is probably not on screen Chris either

Let’s hope no one else is like off-screen Chris.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

What did Sam win an Emmy for?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Outstanding Directing in an Animated Program

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Outstanding Directing in an Animated Program

Yeah but which program?

Edit: nevermind it's this:

quote:

In 2018, he received the Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Directing in an Animated Program for his work on Danger & Eggs.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/SamRiegelsFlask/status/1461550551536123905

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

what did they do to werthers

or where did they i should ask

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Campaign 3, within the first like 4 episodes? Travis started out the campaign playing a character he had no intention of actually continuing with, an older man who was kind of useless but friendly and helped get the party together. Travis fully planned for the character to die so he could bring in his actual character later, and when he did die, the other characters searched him for any possible clues (and you know, for loot) and they joked he had Werther's in his pockets because duh, he's an old man. It's old people candy. They very quickly became a running joke.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

CuwiKhons posted:

Campaign 3, within the first like 4 episodes? Travis started out the campaign playing a character he had no intention of actually continuing with, an older man who was kind of useless but friendly and helped get the party together. Travis fully planned for the character to die so he could bring in his actual character later, and when he did die, the other characters searched him for any possible clues (and you know, for loot) and they joked he had Werther's in his pockets because duh, he's an old man. It's old people candy. They very quickly became a running joke.

Also Campaign 3, very much not to Alan Smithees query but after the first four? episodes motherfuck each and every one of you dumb motherfuckers who spammed Twitch chat with variations of "WhErE TrAvIs? I wish nothing upon you but misery and anal cancer.

edit: Sorry, just realized this is Show and not Campaign thread, apologies and NVM

AJA fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 2, 2023

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

AJA posted:

Also Campaign 3, very much not to Alan Smithees query but after the first four? episodes motherfuck each and every one of you dumb motherfuckers who spammed Twitch chat with variations of "WhErE TrAvIs? I wish nothing upon you but misery and anal cancer.

edit: Sorry, just realized this is Show and not Campaign thread, apologies and NVM

I feel like that one is on you for trying to participate in chat which has been cancer since pretty early in c1.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
imagine paying attention to Twitch chat as anyone older than like, 12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

imagine paying attention to Twitch chat as anyone older than like, 12
Also if you follow a channel that has more than about 75 subscribers because it's not like you're going to be able to keep up and read chat on a popular channel anyway.