Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

in terms of stuff cut from the CR show? I'm not as familiar so I'm curious what did
They're trying to cover many hours of the D&D campaign in a handful of half hour episodes. A LOT is inevitably going to get cut especially in this Chroma Conclave arc which is particularly long. They're faithfully hitting the major story beats for the most part but they have no time for the smaller character moments. For example one of my favorite episodes of the campaign is when they spend the entire episode after the initial attack on Emon sitting in their keep completely shell shocked over what happened. In the show it wasn't even a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

what episode is this?
Word of warning if you've never watched it before then this episode will reveal a bit more about Thordak than the animated series has thus far.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 20, 2023

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
edit: VVVV yeah you're right.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 26, 2023

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Some dragons do put all that treasure to use. Buying magic items or rare spell components they can't get by force or hiring spies and other lackeys.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Percy is a homebrewed fighter subclass so he has decent HP and AC as well. As a rogue, Vax has several tools to mitigate damage. VM weren't all that squishy overall.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

CuwiKhons posted:

Alright I finished watching the episodes and they're good, I don't want anyone to take the wrong thing from what I'm about to say. I did like them.

But BOY they did not do the Feywild arc justice. And I get it - the Feywild storyline in the original campaign was like 5 episodes long, a solid 20ish hours total. Obviously they were gonna have to cut some poo poo down. But that means losing a lot of fun stuff like Percy showing off his knowledge of the Feywild, then immediately getting blinded for a few hours because Keyleth touched something she shouldn't have. Or Percy getting charmed and going to Scanlan about it and Scanlan bitching that he has an ability called Countercharm "But I don't know how to use it!" Or Grog shotputting Garmelie across multiple rivers at a time. Or the werewolf pack that's at war with a bunch of pixies and honestly the pixies are the real dicks. Or the campsite they found with mysterious music coming from nowhere and Vax got stuck under a compulsion to dance forever until Grog raged to make himself immune to charm, charged Vax, grabbed him, kept running, and Percy had to shoot Grog to keep his rage up (since he wasn't taking or dealing damage) so Grog could get all the way out of range of the music. And also, to be honest, Percy and Vex's conversation was a lot more heartbreaking and sincere in the original.

But in fairness, if you were going to really do the Feywild justice, you'd need half the season to do it and I really do understand that they don't have that kind of time.
Or when they gave Garmelie the "threshold crest" he wanted.
I'm surprised they didn't take a second to set up threshold crests in general. They're going to be relevant in the Mighty Nein adaptation too.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 3, 2023

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
For anyone that hasn't seen it, I'd recommend watching Kaylie's original reveal.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
They haven't even started adapting Sam's greatest moments.
Spice
Mother's name
The letter
Tary
Flashcards
Matt: At what level? Sam: 9
Sam/Scanlan is the goddamn best. Even Liam and Laura agree.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 14, 2023

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
That's way too big of a spoiler to safely post in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Scanlan's likeability was always bound to take a hit in any adaptation. It's practically impossible to translate what made him so great in TV form.

Sam Riegel/Scanlan's greatest strength is his humor, particularly his improv. You can't improvise in a scripted animated show. CR's humor in general never worked nearly as well in scripted form.
There's also the matter of the audience he's playing to. At the table he's joking with his close friends which are all in on the joke so even at his crudest, creepiest and most vulgar everyone can laugh out of character even if in character they just look at him in disgust. In the show only the in character reaction is left. Even for the audience it's no longer as easy to separate Sam making a joke with Scanlan being awful as the character is all you see.

It's also harder to show what a great D&D player Sam is and how brilliantly he used Scanlan's abilities but that's more of a general problem for everyone. In the game you have precise knowledge of what resources everyone is working with. How much HP, which spells, how many times they can use them, etc. As a result in the game a clutch move that saves everyone is a clever play, in the show it's a lazy rear end-pull.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 28, 2023