Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Senjuro posted:

For anyone that hasn't seen it, I'd recommend watching Kaylie's original reveal.
Peak Sam bullshittery. Also worth watching for the "wait, is this really happening?" reactions from the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Yeah, don't watch that. The non-spoiler version is that it's a mid fight emotional beat that they'll really need to earn. Like Grog finding his strength in his friends would have fallen flat without establishing him and Pike as best buddies. Only worse because the in campaign moment also draws on OOC relationships that campaign watchers would know of and were invested in beyond the IC fight.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

The deaths except for maybe 2 goldfish which probably gets skipped and Artagan where it's established in universe that this one is different don't even need to be deaths for plot purposes. There's functionally no difference storytelling wise between death/ressurection and critically wounded and survival is not given. Like the ressurection rituals could just be the others talking over a hospital bed or the wounded person's coma visions.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

No, there's definitely at least three deaths we haven't seen yet that need to be real deaths. Vague spoilers: The one that will happen shortly after Ank'harel, the one (or potentially two) that will make Scanlan freak out, and the one that allows the Artagan one to play out the way it does.

In a non-D&D medium where ressurection is going to considered cheap bs, not killing them might be the better storytelling choice. You still get the emotional beat without the baggage of weakening the threat of death. We've seen there are limits to healing magic so it's not like in game where until they're dead dead, you can just toss a cantrip and they'll be fine so you have to actually cross the barrier to have consequences. Just have Pike/Keyleth be like "This is beyond my capabilities, I can keep them alive but we need time/someone more powerful" and things can still play out as is.

Specifically though still vague, for the first one might hit harder as a non-death since the important bit that can't be cut is the last bit of the res ritual, which I think works better as calling someone from back from the brink "step away from the light" bedside grieving/coma vision than talking to a corpse.. The second one I can see going either way. A near death experience should be enough if they make it cool enough, but I can see going all the way. They have to change it a bit anyways since they probably cut the assholery that's the last straw. And the third one yeah, it has to happen but we've already established that it's different.