Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The progression of Vox Machina’s personality goes from ‘edgy teens’ to ‘grownups that care for each other while still making the occasional low-brow joke”. It’s the funny thing with trying to get people into Critical Role. People see the beautiful fanart, cool world-building and funny animations but then you show them the livestream and it feels like something out of an Adult Swim comedy some of the times.

I got a curious friend into EXU when it was coming out and they nearly dropped it at the (EXU campaign spoilers) pissing contest and poo poo beard prank . They stuck around.

When it comes to Critical Role, you have to deal with their worst if you want to see their best. And some don’t want to invest in something they don’t like for the not garunteed chance it gets better to them.

If I hadn't already been hooked by Campaign 2, I don't know that I would have stuck through Campaign 1. Early Vox Machina are pretty lovely people at the start, and 70+ hours to get to a part where they go from jackasses to jackasses who actually mean well is a tough sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Paracaidas posted:

Hell we're seeing that with one hour right now. Lightly optimistic that since they're already foreshadowing Vax and Keyleth and slightly less so Vex and Percy they'll also be starting character growth that wasn't really present yet for the briarwood arc on stream.

To be fair, the Briarwood arc is where the character growth started (at least from my memory). Percy has just hit one of his lowest points and everyone is still willing to help him deal with his family poo poo, and the party finally has a clearly evil set of antagonists to play off against (and no real allies to gently caress over with their own selfishness).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Paracaidas posted:

^^^Underdark arc was worth it for Clarota :colbert:

+1 for Clarota, but -1 for Orion.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Tinydryad posted:

My friend is a huge critter, and I never really got into it. I've listened to about one episode. I liked it, but at this point it seems like such a massive thing to try to get into. So watching this was basically required reading or she would vibrate into another plane of existence in her rage. I've played some D&D but not lots. I liked the show! My husband and I laughed at the jokes, and speculated about what spells they were using. I'm looking forward to more.

Thankfully, if you (or anyone else coming in because of the cartoon) want to try the stream again the campaigns aren't connected so you can just start with the newest one (which only has 11 episodes so far) and not have to worry about the 100s of hours from the other two campaigns.