Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I appreciate Matt playing seemingly every other random white guy in Tal'Dorei. It's a nice way to keep the vibe of him as DM while allowing more diversity in casting of the more significant characters. I also kinda wish Stephanie Beatriz was playing Kima with her normal voice, as I think the sort of chirpy quality would contrast nicely with Kima's whole soft-butch feel.

Edit: Awww, Sam and Liam put their kids in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's been a while but (spoilers for the D&D campaign) David Tennant is the dragon, right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sunil Malhotra's Gilmore is uncannily close to Matt's performance. I almost wish McGlynn had pushed him to make it more his own.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I liked the rap as a nod to Riegel admitting Scanlan started as a Slim Shady inspired joke character.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the other hand, the casting for (ep2 stinger) Delilah is loving perfect. I dunno why I never thought of Grey Griffin for that role.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They also very explicitly put a stinger into episode 2 to go "Hey, here are the new baddies for next episode!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No, you're dead on, Scanlan works almost by sheer force of will from Sam Riegel because almost anyone else would either make him too obnoxious or too tame

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's also worth noting that due to the nature of the origin as a D&D campaign the characters are all coming from the actors/players with input from Matt Mercer as DM, and I think this arc works because Percy just was a bit more thought out than the others were at the start (Vax and Vex are very much generic Fantasy Hero types, Keyleth pulls a lot from the Last Airbender, Riegel's been open that Scanlan started life as a riff on Eminem, and Grog was like 90% the voice), largely because Taliesen Jaffe is the most experienced, other than Mercer, with TTRPGs and put together a backstory for his character that lent itself to being made a major plot hook.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean everyone else does have stuff that comes up, but I'm honestly not sure how much of that was in the home game and how much got fleshed out once they realised the stream was a success and their theater kid sides came out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One thing I think the show weirdly messed up is I think the first two episodes should've made it clear that part of Keyleth's powerset includes turning INTO animals. Even the bird moment in episode 3 is kind of 'blink and you'll miss it'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The slightly shaky part is the Exandria gods are mentioned in official D&D setting content because of there being multiple official books but I assume Willingham or the lawyers negotiated IP rights to that stuff in that deal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dexo posted:

Scanlan is using "Scanlan's" hand in the show he yells it out when he's casting it

Raging isn't owned by WotC

Their new book Taldorei Reborn is not via Wizards, which is why it uses alternative names like the scaled tyrant for Tiamat

They are making an adventure call of the netherdeep which is officially Wizards licensed though.

Yeah, the Tal'Dorei book reprint is being done through Darrington Press, AKA Critical Role themselves.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tinydryad posted:

3 more fun episodes. I enjoyed the character bits around the campfire particularly. My husband and I are looking forward to learning what is Percy's Deal with the smoke and whatnot. Husband suggested a cursed artifact?

Sad to hear it's only going to be 12 episodes, but I do like having more than one at a time to watch. That's a real bummer with a half hour show.

Edit: we're still playing What's That Spell. We think Keyleth cast daylight. Wondering what level everyone is supposed to be though, because Bigby's Hand is a 5th level spell.

9 or 10 at the point they were in the campaign, but it's also largely because Bigby's Hand was kind of Scanlan's signature spell. (Sam Riegel pretty quickly clued into how versatile it is). Similarly Keyleth cast Call Lightning in the first episode, because Marisha Ray used it as a go-to for Keyleth a lot too. (And the 'clench fist, yank down as if pulling the bolt down' gesture is directly from her)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Ended up watching all the released episodes yesterday, craving for more. Never watched Critical Role, but I have played a bunch of D&D and the show's still very juvenile fun. Some nice nods to awful dice rolls and weird player escapades. If you don't have any experience with the podcast or table top gaming, I imagine the show wouldn't really work.

I guess they're putting out a few episodes every Friday?

Looks like 3 a week, possibly as a compromise to the Kickstarter backers, so you can technically watch the entire season off a single month Prime trial.

EDIT: Also, watching some reaction vids and such, it makes me :3: to see people be so into Keyleth given how much unwarranted poo poo Marisha got during the actual game.

DOUBLE EDIT: OMG I just got the linking motif of the opening titles. (MAJOR SPOILERS FOR CR) The golden threads that flash past them all come from a black bird. Presumably a raven. Maybe they'll lean harder into the Raven Queen (or presumably 'Matron of Ravens') being more of a patron to the whole group against the Whispered One to shortcut some stuff.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 6, 2022

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

The only problem I've ever had with Marisha is that she had an issue paying attention to things other players would do. From what I've seen in Campaign 2 it's not as bad but at one point even Matt got snippy with her in the episode with the kraken because she just wasn't paying attention to anything that was happening.

I think the problem was Keyleth as a spellcaster and a druid specifically had so MANY options that to not slow the game down for the audience, she had to be planning her turn while everyone else was going.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bou posted:

I did not know anything about the origins of the series. I decided to watch it because i loved the old Goldbox-CRPGs. So i was already pleased with the first three episodes and it only got better from there. I can get the dislike for Scanlan, but i think it's absolutely fine and even appropriate to have one character going the sex- and fart-humour route. The daggerthrowing half-elf rogue as a trope is far more groan-worthy.
Despite the light tone in the banter the show gets surprisingly visceral and outright malicious. Yeah, the tree-scene... outstanding.

Would it shock you to know the actor/player who created said half-elf rogue is a big fan of Dragonlance and Drizzt?

But also to maybe get back on focus to the show itself, but also my earlier point about Keyleth, I'm also pleasantly surprised at how well Ray is handling the acting side, seeing as this is actually a pretty rare leading role for Marisha. (She's usually 'Soldier #2' or 'Additional Voices' most of the time). She's nailing the sweet, slightly naive 'homeschooled girl at college' vibe that the character calls for. Which duh, she created the character from the ground up, but it's still a different experience to read lines other people wrote for your character as opposed to improvising your own dialogue.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 7, 2022

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Brief to Titmouse for the giants: You know Attack On Titan?

That's it, that's the email.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A couple of the more Easter Eggy things I thought were worth mentioning/critiquing: I think they could've set up Grog's catchphrase in the 2 parter a bit more elegantly. (Hell, you could've riffed on 'How do you wanna do this?' as a set up and it would've been much less clunky AND gotten a twofer). But on the other side, the introduction of Percy's rifle was basically perfect and elegantly introduces the name in a way I'm pretty sure even complete newcomers would start to use it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
"Who's the sixth barrel for?"

OMG, the score is literally referencing the Rambo theme!

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 11, 2022

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It feels like this is what Ashley conceived Pike as and was never quite able to fully reconcile on camera. Like the synthesis of the two sides was kind of the missing piece.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A little sad they went more serious and impressionistic for the Sun Tree, but I get it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm embarrassed by how hyped I got when Percy broke out Bad News against that giant.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...I just got the joke where Grog said Scanlan's into the freaky poo poo when the house is on fire: He thinks they're still talking about the brothel because Vex mentioned it a minute ago.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

I wish they'd kept the fact that even with the reveal that yeah, Orthax was tied to the gun, Percy was still mad because making the List was so loving expensive and now it was just gone. But I guess I can see why they didn't. It was just very funny at the time.

To be fair, that part was more Taliesen than Percy, I feel. I am slightly disappointed they moved one line to be in this arc instead of next season: Percy's line about living as long as Whitestone does. In game it was a really touching moment between him and Keyleth and emphasising that connection to a place and a home. It's still sweet here, but it's taking one line from a monologue and that makes me a little sad.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 18, 2022

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly you could boil it down to Jester and Nott the Brave* and just rotate anybody else in and out for me.

One of the funniest things Sam ever said was "Oh, there's no comma."

The thing is, a C2 cartoon is the first time you'd definitely have to recast one of the main cast. I suppose mmmmaybe you could justify Sam playing Nott, but BIG SPOILERVeth is a different story, I don't think the thing of keeping the voice the same works when you can see her

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

There's also the bit where Taliesin never really did figure out how to do Molly's accent. Although he wouldn't have to do it for long either :v:

That was more a function of most of the cast going subtle on accents in the first session... except the Bailey-Willinghams, who just went straight to 11 and everyone else eventually had to shrug and just keep up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I was actually meaning the gender aspect, more. It's not any more appropriate for Sam to play Veth than for Matt to play Allura in that sense. But yes, the racial identity side also complicates it more.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

Interesting that Grey wasn't the first choice for Delilah! Would love to know who it was. e: I may have misunderstood "Scratch" in an animation casting context?

He could, and has, hosed up a dodo bird.

Scratch is a temporary track usually used to let other actors have something to react to or to help animators time out the scene.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

so he's the equivalent of a powerful elixir/weapon that never gets used "in case" you need it later

As Cuwi mentioned, there's a bunch of mechanical jank that makes him not that useful in combat, plus Laura Bailey, who plays Vex, really didn't like the idea of him getting hurt so would avoid using him in fights. Plus the animators apparently don't like having to animate a realistic bear, so all 3 things combined lead to a mascot that doesn't really do much.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Minor thing, but is Ashley Johnson giving Pike a pronounced Minnesota/Wisconsin accent this season? I think she always kinda leaned a little that way as Pike, but it feels much more noticeable in these eps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

YorexTheMad posted:

What is this referring to, may I ask? I've seen CR season 1 up through most of Chroma Conclave, but I'm not sure what I missed here.

The young gnome that glares at... Grog and Pike, I think, is pretty likely supposed to be Scanlan's daughter.