Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The Repo Man posted:

Veth is a darker skinned character

Uh, maybe I'm stupid, but what would be the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

But yes, the racial identity side also complicates it more.

I... still don't get it? Why?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Remember when they cast Scarlett Johansen to play an Asian robot lady?
Honestly, no.

About the rest, blame my small restricted Italian point of view, I suppose.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Doltos posted:

There's obvious differences in the characters, of course, but I don't see how making Scanlan the most powerful person in the party makes him better. It's the same problem as Keyleth ruining every fight by being super timid/cowardly before blasting off a deux ex machina spell. Their characters are drags, why should I cheer for them?

I have often read this type of criticism toward character that are unpleasant or cowardly or weak. I don't know, I'm the only one who like this type of character because they have a huge chance to grow and improve?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I'm watching campaign 2 too (currently at episode 24) and I really like how that group came together and how much unconventional and flawed all the characters are.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

getting deeper into watching campaign 2

how many of these intricate detailed battle maps does matt mercer make and then just never use because the party doesn't go into that particular swamp or whatever

He reuses some of his assets and sometimes when I squint really hard I can see the DM strings he pulls to ensure that yes, whatever the characters will choose to do they WILL meet this plot relevant NPC, learn this plot point and find this dungeon.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Quinton posted:

In a mid-late campaign 2 episode I watched recently one of the players expressed surprise at some map he pulled out and he explained that he put it together during the break.

He's definitely mentioned a couple times not using some elaborate map due to the gang just going off in a completely unexpected direction (spoilers for a major event in Xhorhas: like when Caleb just decided to hand the Beacon over to the Bright Queen)

The "feel free to choose what you want, it will not matter" is something that happens only sometimes. It doesn't happens very often.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Doltos posted:

Keylith is still a drag that saves every episode with a big spell.

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

Maybe we've just got different defintions of it? As a couple examples, in the very first episode she reflexively saves the entire party from the unkillable dragon that massacres armies and has killed every mercenary band in the realm. In the fourth, she singlehandedly turns the tides against the Briarwood ghouls(?) that were destroying both the party and the soldiers guarding them.
I don't really noticed that, for me it was just "primary caster does some overpowered stuff to remove a momentary problem" as usual, you just nod and keep watching. I'm sure that when the MN will be adapted we'll see a Caleb more or less in the same role. The "Saves The Episode With A Big Spell" moments for me are stuff like her in Pyrah or Pike in Whitestone.