Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol @ episode 2 where everyone runs like normal people except Percy is naruto running

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I think it's also worth noting that due to the nature of the origin as a D&D campaign the characters are all coming from the actors/players with input from Matt Mercer as DM, and I think this arc works because Percy just was a bit more thought out than the others were at the start (Vax and Vex are very much generic Fantasy Hero types, Keyleth pulls a lot from the Last Airbender, Riegel's been open that Scanlan started life as a riff on Eminem, and Grog was like 90% the voice), largely because Taliesen Jaffe is the most experienced, other than Mercer, with TTRPGs and put together a backstory for his character that lent itself to being made a major plot hook.

Yeah Taliesen was the one person with enough experience to be like "my character has Actual Conflict in his backstory that the DM can bring up when ready," something basically everyone did in campaigns 2 and 3 but was relatively unique in 1

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I believe they've said they weren't even really role-playing things very much until Laura just started talking in character while haggling with a merchant.

yeah that's part of why I don't mind the first two episodes so firmly establishing them as dipshits, it's quite accurate. they're just going to rapidly accelerate that bit to the part where they start becoming actual people rather than broad archetypes

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol sam revealing that the children that get killed in e1 are his son and liam's daughter

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah it's pretty hard to watch "one guy no one likes" who is also "the guy who is constantly literally cheating"

Dameius posted:

e: completely unrelated, this whole thing started when Felicia Day asked them to bring their game on her Twitch channel and she guest starred in an episode that takes places before the show. I think it would be nice if they worked her character into the plot somewhere down the line.

she already was the military commander that got fried by brimscythe! with how voice acting works, i wouldn't be surprised if she has some other small parts

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cool looks like they're out, wasn't sure if they got released at 0:00GMT like other prime shows

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

they're really starting strong with just how scary undead are

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

e4 written by ashly burch, cool

will have to be on the lookout for writing credits

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the pace of these is so much better, they're a major improvement

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sun tree, perfect

love the soundtrack over the end credits of e5 just the creaking of the nooses

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also love how much more actually getting to see this sells how terrifying zombie giants would be

like, full on attack on titan

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Wyld Karde posted:

Oh look everyone, No Mercy Percy's back.

i liked that that last bit in e6 was not a fight at all. always nice to defy convention and have it just be "percy has a gun, this guy has a hammer, lol"

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

AngryBooch posted:

They are setting up so much foreshadowing for this sequence, it has to happen in the next batch of episodes.

they're also setting up kiki talking to the sun tree lol, i hope Matt's the one doing it

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Polaron posted:

So I've only seen Campaign 2 and the start of campaign 3 (and this show, which I'm loving), but why would people have issues with Marisha? She seems awesome

just your bog standard "when women roleplay characters dumbass men online think they are those characters"

the same people also hated beau for the same reasons, despite being essentially the opposite of keyleth in most every way

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 6, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol literally the entire cast in the replies to this

https://twitter.com/imaginekatrina/status/1490722907626037251

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the everlight is anime as hell, i loving love it -- the sun exploding into existence was a suitably cool entrance for the first Legit God we have seen

e: i also like that their Pike arc is her realizing that the only reason she was cut off from the everlight is that she made it real herself via guilt over dumb moralistic "it's wrong to party with your friends and have fun" poo poo her god Does Not Care About At All lol

eke out fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 11, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

if you wish there were more systematized rules i have excellent news for you about a certain actual play twitch stream

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

Oh huh, I didn't know they had a rankings thing. Looks like it's #3 in the US. That's pretty good then. And god knows Amazon has the money to throw around.

Amazon's internal metrics used for renewal are opaque and highly specific though, they famously nearly exclusively care about whether a show is the first thing a new Prime account watches -- at least I've heard Connor Raitliff and Griffin Newman talk about this a lot (both actors on cancelled prime shows) and it was commonly discussed in the Wheel of Time thread.

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 12, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

I've long wondered how Twitch plays into this from Amazon,'s perspective, given CR's massive presence on the site.

Yeah, some of the rules for smaller shows may well not apply when there's major cross-platform synergy for them.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah and while it comes up a lot from people who've been cancelled, they may well just ignore the same downward trend from their more successful shows since almost by definition it's going to go down every season for practically every show.

after all nothing's really requiring amazon to be honest about their opaque and probably much-more-complicated internal politics for what gets renewed. may just be a convenient metric to justify cancelling shows they want to (especially in relation to shows like the Tick, that had enthusiastic/loyal fanbases and good critical response, so some of their other metrics were probably good)

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 12, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dexo posted:

That's not how hasbro/WotC rolls lol

yeah they seem to have a productive relationship at dealing with the soft overlap in a way that makes everyone money, but i imagine that it's a very different story when it comes to officially licensing dnd material for amazon

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 13, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

loved the aesthetic/effects on orthax

also i like the narrative decision to lean into yeah the bad guys of s1 are the briarwoods but really the final boss is Percy

eke out fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

keyleth's goofy little smile while sacrificing herself for vex was a perfect character moment

i liked marisha's portrayal of her in the twitch but that's a character that really benefits from the way TV lengths condense some of the nervous/unsteady/unsure of herself character arc