Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

Hello and welcome to the Legend of Vox Machina, where a bunch of nerdy rear end voice actors hosed around and launched a multimillion dollar multimedia empire because they play dungeons and dragons. The series can be found on Amazon Prime with new episodes dropping on Thursday nights/Friday mornings :siren:The first episodes drop at Midnight PST on 1/28:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvwxQSc-3os

Midnight GMT* and it's up, thankfully - it's 11am in Australia and I shifted a meeting so I could watch.

EDIT: Ahahahaha Gnome nuts.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

That does make me as a spoilerish question: did Pike have a problem channeling divine energy in the campaign?

They got a little bloodthirsty at one point and had to atone but IIRC didn't that impact her mechanically, eventually taking a leave of absence from the group to help rebuild a temple (while the player was off filming on the other side of the country.)

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I went looking at the merch they have linked on the Amazon page and I'm pretty sure this is a machine generated design

Death from the Shadows is a really a bit on the nose, they'd undoubtedly shift more units with "Dagger Dagger Dagger (breathes) Dagger"

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

DesertIslandHermit posted:

If it's the scene I think you're thinking of, then yeah. That was when I went from liking Scanlan to loving him.
That whole sequence of events was accentuated by same Sam showing up straight after work (late for the start) still rocking a tie that didn't stay around his neck for long.

It was an immortal moment and they would be mad not to include it.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Push El Burrito posted:

There's a scene in the trailer of Scanlan looking back at something while Bigby's Hand is giving the finger and I'm assuming that's right before he jumps off the roof.

Just saw the playlist on Spotify.

Song 27, titled Scanbo.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Dameius posted:

Speaking of Keylith, I can't wait for the we're basically gods moment in... probably season 2? 3? moment.

IMO it would work best in a "filler" episode just before the finale, similar to Ember Island Players in Avatar.

That scene will have the most impact once they've fully built her up, showing how far she has come and how powerful she is.

Remember at that point, everyone else had died at least once in combat. Kiki just needed an important lesson in humility..

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Dameius posted:

Really showcases her strengths of sound a calm decision making while under panic.

I picked up tabletop rollplay in the Pandemic and that lead me to here - the whole goldish sequence resonates with me so much. I've had a similar moment, and my character even had featherfall which helped me about as much as Kiki being able to turn into a bird. Sometimes you gently caress up and just have to wear it, it's funnier for it.

Dameius posted:

Also the bathtub moment will be golden.

Honestly their whole courtship was just loving hilarious ; but that was certainly the highlight.

I do worry about how it will translate, I feel like most of the fun in those those scenes were the other players losing their poo poo, or in the case of "The Experience" that Vax gave Grog towards the end, the energy of the thousands of people watching it live.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The scene in Scanbo where Scanlan walked into guards playing D&D makes me want Grog's One Shot to be adapted even if it's extremely unlikely to happen. For those who don't know, Travis did a one-shot where he roleplayed as Grog running Dungeons and Dragons Bunions and Flagons for Percy, Scanlan, Vax and Vex. They played themselves and shenanigans ensue. It's a funny episode despite Travis falling out of acting as Grog near the end. Playing a dumb Barbarian takes a lot of energy.

To be fair they're more or less in character the whole time except when losing it from laughing, or when Laura (Vex) dropped character completely and called out Travis (Grog) for using a wedding gift as a prop and damaging it. I think at one point Sam (Scanlan) nearly asphyxiated from laughing which would have also been appropriate in character at that point.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

Among other things they changed, one of the more interesting ones is that Grog just finds Craven Edge (Sylas' sword) in the rubble and decides to keep it. In the original stream, the party chilled out in Whitestone for like a week afterwards for a well-timed Fantasy Christmas episode and Percy found the sword. And after inspecting it and coming to the conclusion that hmm yes, this sword is kind of hosed up, he.... gave it to Grog as a Fantasy Christmas present. Grog loved it. This change makes Percy a lot less of an rear end in a top hat but also to be honest, I kind of like that Percy's an rear end in a top hat sometimes.

Paracaidas posted:

I think this is purely a consequence of timing. With most of the season's arc being Percy is driven to nearly killing himself, his last remaining family, and all of his friends by his evil weapon, turning within minutes of screentime and knowingly giving Grog Craven's Edge isn't an rear end in a top hat move. It's pure villany.

Wyld Karde posted:

To be fair, Percy just got done trying to murder his sister and all his friends. Additional arseholery on top of that would push him over the edge from 'bad boy who is kind of an arsehole' into 'irredeemably bad why the gently caress does anyone associate with him' territory.

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, that part was more Taliesen than Percy, I feel.

Honestly?

Tal just wanted to see what happened, and boy howdy!

Cursed items, when used correctly by a DM, create drama and are loving hilarious.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Agaragon posted:

One time he set up an adventure in a city that they'd been planning on going to, even making plans with a guest who was going to be a major part of it. He later had to text the guest, "I'm so sorry, they hosed off to an entirely different country"

Yeah and it was Matt loving Colville - would have been rad as hell.

On the D20 stuff, the rough part in terms of audio quality is in the middle (when they had to figure out recording it while all the players who would usually be in the same room together were under lockdown).

The production value is insane - Bloodkeep is probably the easiest jumping in point with Mercer as a player, but you have to give Fantasy High a go - watch the first two episodes at a minimum. I am so happy Lou is on Calamity, his breakdowns at the poo poo Brennan pulls is just *chefs kiss*

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Exia posted:

Episodes 1-3 of S2 are up now

Well, there goes my productivity for the afternoon.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

in terms of stuff cut from the CR show? I'm not as familiar so I'm curious what did

Senjuro posted:

They're trying to cover many hours of the D&D campaign in a handful of half hour episodes. A LOT is inevitably going to get cut especially in this Chroma Conclave arc which is particularly long. They're faithfully hitting the major story beats for the most part but they have no time for the smaller character moments. For example one of my favorite episodes of the campaign is when they spend the entire episode after the initial attack on Emon sitting in their keep completely shell shocked over what happened. In the show it wasn't even a minute.

They were able to save more people as well.

Another example; the Slayers Take - they actually travelled to Vasselheim before the Chroma Conclave attack and spent a bunch of episodes there with a bunch of guest characters. Long story short one of the firsts things they did was wander out into the wilderness and kill a hydra without the proper permit (which the show alludes to), so to make amends with the take they did some other contracts where they met Kash and Zahra. To be honest I appreciate the way they managed to truncate that entire arch; Kash and Zahra being shitheads is a bonus.

Also the Broom has been introduced without the baggage that comes with it.

We haven't seen Grog going shopping yet which is one of the highlights in the stream, however it is easy to cut because the best part of Grog haggling was Laura (Vex) completely breaking character whenever Travis (Grog) had an opportunity to gleefully set money on fire haggle.

Personally I'm looking forward to the bath tub - a lot of the joy of that scene is watching the entire table lose their poo poo but I reckon they'll pull it off.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 20, 2023

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Lucas Archer posted:

All I want is to see at one point them animate Bunions and Flagons for a single episode.

And do the "in game" parts live action.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Phylodox posted:

I mean, if they open up those College Humor floodgates, I would lose my goddamned mind. Lou Wilson, Zac Oyama, Emily Axford. You know the Critical Role folks would take any excuse at all to get everyone involved.

Fantasy High adaption when?

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

Ripley teaming up with the dragons is a WILD plot twist. Her whole deal in the original stream is that she's a fantasy racist. She believes humans are superior to every other species, so what's she doing working with Umbrasyl unless she's just that pissed at Percy?

Think like a human.

Get close, appear useful, become indispensable... then bomb the gently caress out of the scaly bastard when they're least expecting it. Honestly there is a plethora of ways she could be playing it and Ripley will work with anyone who will support her work and backstab as soon as it becomes convenient to do so.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 27, 2023

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

It's a D&D campaign, I don't really consider it spoilers that people die and get rezzed? In fact I specifically said that a lot of those deaths probably won't happen in the show. I didn't specify which ones they'll likely keep, where they are, why they're important, or anything like that.

I'm really hoping that they're given a powerful single use artifact to revive somebody, only for it to be used in the goldfish incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Antitonic posted:

Also Reincarnate, which is the fun one.

"If it looks like I'm going to come back as a gnome just let me die"