Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
I get the criticism so far, but man hearing everyone and seeing them in motion after watching them stream for years is really neat. I'm so excited for the Briarwood arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
I just realized how unique this show is in terms of the performances. The main party are all voiced by the people who have written these characters and played them for years and years. I've seen every episode of Critical Role so it might not stand out to me but I have to wonder if that is noticeable in the performances to someone who isn't familiar at all with CR.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
It's been very interesting watching this with my roommate, who doesn't watch Critical Role but does play d&d. Them being aware of the risks you take as a player when you split off from the party really added to the tension in episode 3. I will say though, trying not to accidentally spoil anything while watching with them has been a real struggle.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
What a drat good show. I'm so glad this turned out well. Seeing campaign 1 animated is so wild.

In the finale there was a split second shot of Percy putting on the mask with a crazy smile that made me jump out of my skin. 10/10

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
Yeah I think Scanlon's great, though that might be because I've watched all of campaign 1. Honestly compared to early stream Scanlon he's pretty toned down in the cartoon. The Briarwood arc is so dark that the occasional joke feels like a nice way to break up the misery.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
I didn't know how much I needed Thordak having Shin Godzilla atomic breath.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
Speaking of, I love the design of each of the dragons and the emphasis on how scary their powers are. Umbrasyl especially. The animation is a huge step up from season 1.

My buddies are big fans of the cartoon but haven't seen the CR streams, so seeing their reaction to episode 3 was a fun time. Seeing all of those flashbacks and knowing what was coming was absolutely killing me.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

What I am wondering about, though is what they're going to do with Scanlan's character. In the stream, there was a brief moment between the Whitestone and Chroma Conclave arcs where Scanlan (Campaign 1 Stream, Episodes 37-39) discovered he had a daughter from one of his many dalliances, and that was used as a Need To Change which fueled Scanlan changing as a character. Even after Season 1's finale, I was a little concerned that they seemed to be jumping right into the second arc without that part, because I had a hard time picturing a way to insert that element without it feeling like a contrived coincidence and/or really rushed.

(Season 2, E1/E2) Sure enough, Scanlan in S2E1 had no motivation to fight dragons now. In S2E2, his piercing character insight from the Sphinx was "no one cares about you." Which is fine, but that on its own does not feel like a sufficient Need To Change, so I'm wondering where they're going to go with him.

I'm assuming that they'll run into Kaylie and the traveling musicians when they go to Westruun. They have plenty of time to introduce her as a character. They were already sowing some seeds in season 1 that Scanlan feels unappreciated by the group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
Thinking about it, they could probably improve on tying the overarching plot together when they adapt it into a show. That aside, this news is crazy! I hope they don't burn themselves out but also campaign 2 has my favorite characters, so I'm looking forward to it.