Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I did a quick rewatch of Season 1, and then the first three episodes of Season 2.

As far as creative liberties with the adaptation, I think Season 1 took a lot more liberties than what Season 2 has done so far. Season 2 feels much closer to the actual stream episodes. Of course there are differences, because of the adaptation which cut out the first 20-ish episodes of the stream.

I do kinda agree that (S2E3) Young Vax breaking down and crying felt a little too much, although even Campaign Vax was a little clingy.

What I am wondering about, though is what they're going to do with Scanlan's character. In the stream, there was a brief moment between the Whitestone and Chroma Conclave arcs where Scanlan (Campaign 1 Stream, Episodes 37-39) discovered he had a daughter from one of his many dalliances, and that was used as a Need To Change which fueled Scanlan changing as a character. Even after Season 1's finale, I was a little concerned that they seemed to be jumping right into the second arc without that part, because I had a hard time picturing a way to insert that element without it feeling like a contrived coincidence and/or really rushed.

(Season 2, E1/E2) Sure enough, Scanlan in S2E1 had no motivation to fight dragons now. In S2E2, his piercing character insight from the Sphinx was "no one cares about you." Which is fine, but that on its own does not feel like a sufficient Need To Change, so I'm wondering where they're going to go with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

CuwiKhons posted:

Definitely some interesting changes, although I think the way they arranged everything worked out pretty well. I was expecting them to do more with Ripley than they did though. I'm kind of unclear on the point of adding that into the story if the only thing it adds is telling the Conclave about the vestiges, which most of them don't seem to care about.

That's probably just to keep the character "alive" in the audience's minds, because she'll be key for the next arc. Campaign Ripley does know about the Vestiges and is going after them herself. This came as a surprise to the players and characters in the campaign, and having her here sets this up so it's not a sudden twist when she interferes later on.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Zzulu posted:

I don't know anything about what this show is based on, I just saw a torrent of it and learned what it was.

The humour is by far the worst part, it's super cringy and juvenile in a way where it sometimes feels like a stunted 15 year old wrote the lines.

Juvenile humor is (spoiler free)pretty accurate to the livestream, actually. A frequent refrain is "we are children."

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 28, 2023