Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This shows great. Scanlon is the worst character ever created.

He's worse than Elfo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bou posted:

I did not know anything about the origins of the series. I decided to watch it because i loved the old Goldbox-CRPGs. So i was already pleased with the first three episodes and it only got better from there. I can get the dislike for Scanlan, but i think it's absolutely fine and even appropriate to have one character going the sex- and fart-humour route. The daggerthrowing half-elf rogue as a trope is far more groan-worthy.
Despite the light tone in the banter the show gets surprisingly visceral and outright malicious. Yeah, the tree-scene... outstanding.

I came into it blind too and Scanlan just seems so loving bad. It's one thing to be comic relief but it's another to constantly make sex jokes like a 14 year old. He's too cringey.

The rest of the party is pretty cliche too. Completely confident and mean huntress with silly animal pet, suave half elf dagger rogue, big stupid barbarian giant, unconfident druid that wins every battle with a massive spell once she gets confidence, completely confident and mean artificer that looks like an anime character, and I guess Pike's okay. I think they all work because it's a DnD show, but Scanlan seems too overdone. When they were in Briarwood fighting and Scanlans making sex jokes while resistance fighters are sacrificing their lives for him made it really hard to enjoy the character at all. It takes you right out of the moment.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
As someone who never watched CR and loved the show, Scanlan is the worst character since Jar Jar Binks. I think that appears in every negative review I've been seeing. I can easily see people who are unfamiliar with CR being turned off and never watching the show after episode 1 solely because of Scanlan.

Non stop sex jokes at completely inappropriate times that not only are cringey but deflate the mood of the setting. Him making sex jokes while Briarwood rebels are sacrificing themselves for him is completely repugnant. He ruins the big fight with lurch by blasting him with a dick beam before doing a middle finger exit that a 13 year old would come up with. Percy is having a huge moment for his character lashing out at the Briarwoods outside of the palace, meanwhile they shoot to two different Scanlan anal bead jokes. The finale shows him in a way better light but man does he suck the air out of the show if you're not used to him.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DogsInSpace! posted:

Not a CR watcher and only saw the show but he was alright with me. Think the first or second episode with the “rap” was the only time Scanlan made me groan. Could easily see him grating with more airtime but enjoyed his solo mission episode and made me respect the character more. He may be an annoying perv but at least he can get poo poo done. Jar Jar did nothing but make stupid noises and decisions and made every episode he was in poo poo. Hated the end of a cool antagonist in Clone Wars was also a Jar Jar ep. JarJar did not get poo poo done… except help the Space Nazis win because he sucked THAT bad.

There's obvious differences in the characters, of course, but I don't see how making Scanlan the most powerful person in the party makes him better. It's the same problem as Keyleth ruining every fight by being super timid/cowardly before blasting off a deux ex machina spell. Their characters are drags, why should I cheer for them?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Gave up on show. Death doesn't matter, Scanlan sucks incredible rear end still, Keylith is still a drag that saves every episode with a big spell.