Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Dameius posted:

I was already telling some people who bounced off the stream because of its runtime to watch the show and basically treat it as the anime to the source manga. Think they should just lean into that the further in we get.

I was thinking its little like this is Scanlan's retelling of what happened and he's changed a few things and trimmed some of the fat to make it work a little better for the wider audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Phylodox posted:

Was it fake in the game? I very much remember it being real, and someone having to race over to give her a potion before she died.

I don't remember anything about it being fake, I remember Vax bursting in and trying to oneshot Anders and failing and Anders immediately slitting Casandra's throat.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I enjoyed the show but am mad we didn't get Keyleth talking to the Suntree.

PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN SOMETIME

It NEEDS to happen so we get to see the much grumpier Suntree she tries to talk to later on

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

DarklyDreaming posted:

He left just before the plot went into overdrive, so he really didn't matter

The only thing he would have brought to the fight was a bunch of mirrors

Literally all the mirrors in Emon

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Paracaidas posted:

The biggest change from the stream thus far - aside from when and how the Slayers Take is introduced - is Craven Edge.

On stream Percy identities the sword and what it does and allows Grog to take it mostly without warning. Which is the equivalent of giving lit matches to a clumsy kid taking a gasoline bath.
I'm not surprised they retconned it, it's a deeply shitheaded move by Percy that I don't recall leading to any character growth or tension beyond Grog's experience with the sword
. So the vibes around the sword haven't changed much -- though I can see why some would prefer they had.

Another part of the problem was the fact it wasn't "identified" properly, non of VM actually had the spell "Identify" that gives all the info about the item (they were just attuning to items and finding out) When Grog got free of it, Matt gives him the full stats of the sword and the paper is twice as long as before and explains what the curse was.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

I think they were just trying to avoid posting that potentially MASSIVE spoiler in this thread to avoid people who've never seen C1 accidentally reading it

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Pattonesque posted:

The not-a-beholder was super cool. The way its tentacles kept going off at extreme angles and its unblinking stare were A+

I liked the weird noise it made as well

also Keyleth getting the "jet engine" sound with her big rear end fire blast

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

rocketrobot posted:

But why did they kill Kam? :(

"dramatic effect" and to make it personal for Scanlan maybe?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

I'm guessing they'll just keep her "as is"

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Yeah all it needs is some bean counter says "its not as profitable anymore" for them to stop making it and "gently caress you" if its still in the middle of a story

That or some brain-dead idiot to take over and just ruin everything, like with whats going on with HBO/Discovery

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

The "infinite amount" of sorcerer points he had at his disposal (because he was cheating) were very helpful to him and wouldn't be an issue in animated form

but having a blatant cheater in the game really ruins it overall - its always funny to watch Sam's reactions to the numbers being called out because he can see the dice and knows its bullshit,

I think Sam and Marisha are enlisted as his "dice checkers" as he gets worse and people in the chat are noticing it and calling it out

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Lance Reddick is loving amazing as Thordak

I loved how he ended his facetime by breathing fire into the camera/Umbrasyl's face

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I really love this adaptational series but I really found the ending to Umbrasyl anti-climatic to say the least. I appreciate that they wanted everyone to have a moment but I felt like Umbrasyl is dominating them the entire fight and then Scanlan just shows up in the nick of time to kill him on one hit wasn't the way to do it. In the original, Umbrasyl is on his last legs and roars in pain and fury "I WILL FINISH THIS!!" and breaths acid on the party, and in an ironic twist this attack triggers a reactionary counter-attack from Grog, which was just enough to finish him. I can appreciate the writers don't want to gloryhog to Grog, and Scanlan finding his resolve being the big part of the episode but the price was a really anti-climatic death scene.

I liked it Scanlan never got to kill the King (and the Queen) of the Underdark in the animated series, so giving him a dragon as a replacement seems fitting. Also the symbolism that "The Hope Devourer" was taken down by the guy who's job it is to give everyone "inspiration"

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Pattonesque posted:

do they even bother with Draconia considering all the baggage?

I noticed they used the "tree on the side of cliff" gag from when they went to Draconia for Vasselheim instead, so maybe not

Probs doesn't help that "Dragonborn" are owned by DnD (although there are ways around it - like Dragonfolk or something)

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Dawgstar posted:

Doesn't Orion have some rights to that stuff?

Orion made a big deal about owning the copywrite for his character "Tiberous Stormwind" at the time but he doesn't own the concept of the "dragonborn race"

Him being all "ITS MY ORIGINAL CHARACTER! DO NOT STEAL!" is one of the main reasons he's purged from VM history and why he will never make an appearance in LoVM

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 13, 2023

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Philthy posted:

I really enjoyed the season. Vex's arc is where it's at. Being a champion for the goddess of death is very :rock:

He's Vax, she's Vex :eng101:

very easy and common mistake to make, they even made t-shirts about it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

One of my favourite Sam moments is when he isn't even at the table but skyping in.

The group is in a dangerous place and Marisha/Keyleth says "We have to be careful about getting too high" and without missing a beat Sam leans in on the laptop and says "Marisha has never said those words in her life" and everyone just dies laughing