Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dameius posted:

Travis (Grog) hates shopping episodes and Orion would spotlight steal by going on exceptionally long solo shopping adventures and towards the end it looked like Travis was struggling to keep composure on camera during them.

There was also the point where Orion made a decidedly untoward comment to Laura in the middle of an episode and everyone kind of stopped cold and Travis looked like he was about half a second away from seriously losing his temper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If anyone really wants to get into the gameplay sessions in Critical Role but find themselves bouncing off of the early episodes, I suggest starting with campaign two. It’s miles less janky than the start of campaign one and much more geared towards having a story and an audience.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

DarklyDreaming posted:

The slow transition from "Oh poo poo I need to get out of here" to "I AM GONNA MURDER EVERYONE IN THIS MOTHERFUCKING HOUSE:black101:" remains one of my favorite moments in any medium

Sam’s kind of manic, wide-eyed, disbelieving “I know I should get out now, but, I mean…I have to see how far I can take this, right?” demeanour throughout that whole sequence of the live stream was pure magic. It’s the first time I can remember everything seeming to click for Sam and him getting fully engaged and sold on the whole D&D thing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Just bought the soundtrack. I haven’t even watched the show yet, I just dig the music. Excellent use of “Your Turn to Roll” throughout.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Was it fake in the game? I very much remember it being real, and someone having to race over to give her a potion before she died.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like it’s a storyline they could just plunk back into the timeline anywhere they wanted, with the added bonus of having Kima be an established character we care about seeing rescued. There’s nothing about it that necessitates it taking place when it does, is there?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The flying cows was after the Briarwoods escaped but before they left for Whitestone, if I recall. It was a stall because Taliesin was away and they couldn’t continue the storyline without him.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’d rather they used that money to license certain Staind/Vanessa Carlton songs, anyways. Those feel more integral to the show, at this point.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If anyone has it to hand, could someone post a link to the CR stream for that solo adventure? I've only started following CR in the past year or so, never watched the first campaign, but it's neat to go back and compare the show with the stream.

A more direct comparison:

https://youtu.be/tmAqpyX-YVQ

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Megazver posted:

Here's a dumb hypothetical for you to pass time:

If you were to pick a cast of a new CR animated show from the PCs from all three campaigns, who would you pick? Since this is presumably an animation, you can pick multiple characters from the same player.

In that case, why would I restrict myself to just Critical Role?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

wokow6 posted:

I've played in a number of full chaotic parties before... They don't tend to be that fun, at least not for long.

No, obviously the problem was that you didn't have enough chaos.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
This is going to be a show that benefits enormously from bingeing. Given that it's an adaptation of a much longer story, they have the benefit of knowing all of the character beats and arcs in advance, so they can plan things out and play the long game much better. Yeah, Scanlan's a bit rough at first and Keyleth and Grog might feel underdeveloped, but I think the show has enough charm to coast through that, especially since they're already guaranteed a second season.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They learned the name Vecna within a few episodes of the climactic fight (or within the same episode, I forget), but didn’t know what it meant.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Having a background in improv, Brennan is the absolute king of "Yes, and..." Unparalleled.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Dimension 20 is great out of the gate, but it kicks into overdrive at the end of the second episode. It’s a recurring theme with Brennan’s games, to the point that it’s become known as being “Episode 2’d”.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Has there been any word on if they're going to release a soundtrack for this season, too? I loved Acree's work on season 1.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Campaign 2 is weird for me. I've watched about a third of it I think? Some of the character work is great but the overarching plot feels less coherent than either C1 or what we have so far of c3.

I dunno, I feel like the overall story is more disjointed, but each character gets kind of their own mini-arc, all of which feel mostly tight and satisfying. And when (spoilers for the ending) the overall plot does all come together, it feels really satisfying, what with tying up Mollymauk's story and all.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It feels weird liking an animated show on a streaming service and not dreading it's inevitable cancellation after one season.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Wait, poo poo, hold up…does this mean we might get a Calamity animated movie/mini-series?!? Could there be animated Bolo?!?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean, if they open up those College Humor floodgates, I would lose my goddamned mind. Lou Wilson, Zac Oyama, Emily Axford. You know the Critical Role folks would take any excuse at all to get everyone involved.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

"This bag. You destroy?"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I kind of thought the opening credits were just kind of spoiling that scene in plain sight. The sequence where they’re all desperate and battered that ends with Scanlan reaching out? I could be wrong, of course.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Plus more Kelly Hu, which is always good.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Crazy Ted posted:

Remember: this guy's won an honest-to-god Emmy

I’m watching campaign one right now and in the opener for “The Cindergrove Revisited” Chris Hardwick makes reference to the fact that work-Sam is very much not Critical Role-Sam.

“I've been working with this guy for the last couple of years on Sanjay & Craig. He gets all businessy, he's a responsible adult in the workplace.”

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Alan Smithee posted:

tbh work Chris is probably not on screen Chris either

Let’s hope no one else is like off-screen Chris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The soundtrack for season 2 was just released today.