Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Wuuf the Bika is a nice pick. The low HP means he bites it every now and then, but the flask he comes with is really really nice, for reasons that will become apparent. I don't remember where you first find a flask in the game, there might be one hidden somewhere in level 2? I think there's one near the exit of 2.

Darouu though... well he survives things that the useful party members don't, and can then haul their corpses to the resurrection altar. Darouu might some day be capable of successfully casting Lo Ful. Darouu might gain a wizard level. Some day.

It's a really impressive game though. Most contemporary RPG games were saddled with the awful D&D ruleset, while this one has a very sleek, modern and unobtrusive system where characters learn what they do. No silly equipment restrictions either, you can have your black Gandalf wield a battleax and wear a bra if you choose. The only thing that keeps it from being approachable these days is the lack of an automap, and the fact that a compass is not an UI feature. The dungeon is mostly designed to be easily navigable, but with every corridor looking the same you're likely to get lost anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

And I missed the fact that our wizard Tiggy has even less HP than Wuuf. Our back line is made of glass, I can see constant trips to the resurrection hole in the future of this party. The good news is that offensive spells are very powerful and the casting times are short, so Tiggy should be able to serve out the pain while alive.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 4, 2022

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I found out that it's possible to play the DOS version of the game in a browser these days:

https://playclassic.games/games/role-playing-dos-games-online/play-dungeon-master-online/play/

Edit: use Ad-Lib for the sound, Sound Blaster is ear destroying

Turns out there are way more flasks around than I remembered. You can't really have too many, though.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 5, 2022

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

The old dropping the massive door the enemies head trick. Good for damage and for putting a barrier between you and them when they move out of the way. Did anyone work out just how much damage this does as it never seemed enough?

It's possible to push the button and have a door start banging on the heads of your own party. It's about 7-10 hp each hit with maybe 2 hits per second. It can't miss, it'll always hit all 4 sub squares.

Yeah, I remember the tougher enemies just tanking a door and still beating your front lines' asses.