Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Spoke Lee posted:

Because it's just negating the purpose of the thread. 9 times out of 10 it's directed at someone who has no qualms admitting that the US government is terrible. The reason it's not being discussed is because what some other entity did doesn't change the reality of what is happening in Xinjiang as the biggest example. Where is the discussion expected to go after you have had the poster agree that all forms of genocide are bad if not back to the topic of the thread?

Yeah, this is why the 'pointing out hypocrisy' is worthless- people posting in a forum thread aren't responsible for what the US does anyway, so pointing it out is basically just a massive dodge and attempt to scrub the thread of anything negative about China. "You don't have moral standing" is a bizarre way to argue on an internet forum, IMO. It's the bizarre oscillation between moral grandstanding and harsh realpolitik that gets on my nerves about a lot of the c-spam contingent's posting.

Alchenar posted:

And as per my earlier post, I think the reason D&D has a dearth of high quality threads compared to the niche interest subforums that actually discuss stuff in detail is that the people who know what they are talking about get drowned out by the people who either desperately want you to know how bad America is or who are just really really angry that someone else had another opinion on the internet.

Ultimately I think you have to just pick a group of posters that you think D&D is for, make that choice very clear, and then be pretty ruthless about enforcing that choice. I think the recent changes to moderation have been inching towards that, but you just have to take a leap and pick an identity for D&D.

e: ^^ I think very specifically for the China thread in D&D, one thing it really needs is to be closed and for someone to write a new OP that isn't very pre-Xi. If someone were willing and able to do that then it would be good opportunity to reset the tone of the thread and establish what it is for.

Yeah, i think you're gonna have to pick a lane with moderation here, people don't seem to be able to adjust their posting for moderation, so they're always going to complain about the oppression of getting probated for poo poo-posting.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

some plague rats posted:

Why would people be doing this. What do you imagine is in it for them. Because it seems like you're saying "people posting things I disagree with don't actually believe them, they just have a sinister pro-prc agenda to push" which would not really be in the spirit of d&d, would it

I'm sure they think they're fighting the anti-imperialist good fight in the D&D china thread of something awful dot com.