Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Fritz the Horse posted:

What constitutes a white-noise or low-content post? When should mods act? Instant 6er on sight? Issue a reminder/warning and then probes if it continues? Let occasional low-content posts slide but if it becomes a pattern for a user, take action? I'm genuinely curious to gauge peoples' thoughts on it.

Whatever it is, just be consistent. There are so many white-noise shitposts that go completely unpunished while others are aggressively prosecuted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jizz Festival posted:

I dislike DV as much as anyone but his use of theq word is completey in-line with the stuffy dictionary definition provided and fits his general posting style as well.

If I would like to see less of anything from normal posters, it's these sorts of attempts to turn pretty harmless offenses into huge deals that are causing real harm and action must be taken, blah blah blah. It's all so boring and people never let this poo poo go.

Idk if it's offensive or whatnot but calling people itt abusers and trolls seems like flagrantly violating multiple DnD posting rules like assuming good faith and not posting about posters. He's been regularly shitposting in a thread under constant moderator supervision yet somehow never seems to catch even a 6er.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Smeef posted:

Which itself is a suggestion for D&D: use the principle of charity with your fellow posters. Give their posts the benefit of the doubt, or at least be considerate when expressing that doubt. This principle isn't just about word choice, but this exchange is illustrative.

Dv is literally doing the opposite in that very post.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Idk why you included my post in that weird rant because I explicitly did not take offense to his use of that word.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Horatius Bonar posted:

Is this post seriously a whataboutism about a poster complaining about whataboutism?

And they said irony was dead. poo poo.

lmao.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Alchenar posted:

And as per my earlier post, I think the reason D&D has a dearth of high quality threads compared to the niche interest subforums that actually discuss stuff in detail is that the people who know what they are talking about get drowned out by the people who either desperately want you to know how bad America is or who are just really really angry that someone else had another opinion on the internet.

Ultimately I think you have to just pick a group of posters that you think D&D is for, make that choice very clear, and then be pretty ruthless about enforcing that choice. I think the recent changes to moderation have been inching towards that, but you just have to take a leap and pick an identity for D&D.

e: ^^ I think very specifically for the China thread in D&D, one thing it really needs is to be closed and for someone to write a new OP that isn't very pre-Xi. If someone were willing and able to do that then it would be good opportunity to reset the tone of the thread and establish what it is for.

The lack of good posts is probably due to a lack of posters. Getting rid of posters would result in even fewer good posts.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Somaen posted:

There have been posters bringing up rape apology and Tara Reade in this thread, I would like to just ask how do you square that with being posting friends with this guy who, previously being a champion of Tara Reade, claimed that the Chinese athlete that was taken away by Chinese authorities, had her name scrubbed from the internet and forced to delete her internet post detailing her rape against a powerful party member?

These whataboutisms are getting out of hand.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

If moderation is only done by people outside of the discussion then that means only those who are completely unfamiliar with the thread will be moderating them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

It's pretty easy to read back a few pages and get a good sense of the context for the report. Also, some mods, like myself, do a lot more lurking then posting. So even if I don't spend a lot of time posting outside Covid thread, I still keep up with a number of DnD threads and am familiar with their discussions.

That's good to hear.