Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My observation on the Chinathread is that the situation in Xinjiang only actually comes up when someone decides to do a driveby 'nothing happened you can't prove anything happened' post, and that seems to happen suspiciously around the time when someone (usually Ronya) has just done a high-quality post on some new analysis or policy trend. The result is that the thread gets sucked back into a 3-4 page groundhog day recital of the same ground until a few sixer's get handed out, the interesting post gets lost and the interesting poster gets a bit less willing to post.

To take that observation to the wider forum isse: 'We don't moderate positions' might be a thing, but I think the best and longest running threads on the forums have been the ones which have been willing to constructively enforce a policy of 'we've had this discussion and unless you have something new to say, shut up and go away'. There's a big difference between enforcing groupthink and having threads stuck in an endless cycle of white noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

idk if I necessarily agree with this characterization, but you're missing an important group: people actually in China (HK, Taiwan) or very familiar with internal Chinese politics who don't fit into any of the groups you describe. ronya is a good example of that but far from the only one.

And as per my earlier post, I think the reason D&D has a dearth of high quality threads compared to the niche interest subforums that actually discuss stuff in detail is that the people who know what they are talking about get drowned out by the people who either desperately want you to know how bad America is or who are just really really angry that someone else had another opinion on the internet.

Ultimately I think you have to just pick a group of posters that you think D&D is for, make that choice very clear, and then be pretty ruthless about enforcing that choice. I think the recent changes to moderation have been inching towards that, but you just have to take a leap and pick an identity for D&D.

e: ^^ I think very specifically for the China thread in D&D, one thing it really needs is to be closed and for someone to write a new OP that isn't very pre-Xi. If someone were willing and able to do that then it would be good opportunity to reset the tone of the thread and establish what it is for.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 31, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

fart simpson posted:

why are you so sure of this, instead of just thinking there's people that disagree with you in d&d?

Because it's a pattern that repeats itself over and over again? Everytime the Chinathread gets remotely close to discussing something interesting about China someone who hadn't been posting will on cue dash into the thread to drop a 'BUT WHAT ABOUT THIS THING AMERICA DOES?'