Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

MikeC posted:

Except the context is very clear if you actually read the thread instead of taking isolated posts. He's posting right after *yet another* bout of Whataboutism when Terminal Autism https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3466532&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=661#post521093439 and Neurolimtal https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3466532&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=661#post521098251 tried to say that censorship is just the same in 'murica cuz they use soft power to ensure all movies are pro war, pro cop, etc etc and that censorship is effectively the same. Yet again I had to sit there and type a response to prove the blatant lie that took longer to vet than the baseless claim. This is exactly the type of thread making GBS threads I have talked about before. Constantly posting low content bullshit in the hopes no one takes the time to disprove it. It is an obvious misuse of posting to deflect criticism of China in the China thread.

Smeef's point on Stink's options is spot on. It very much feels like their goal is to take any language that could be misconstrued as offensive and say 'WE GOT HIM BOYS' and start an even wider derail - all in the effort to punish their posting enemies and not engage on the topic at hand - because they can't really defend their positions or be bothered to see if the other person's reply is valid or not. I am well beyond the point of "charity" here. It is the same people, using the same tactics, week after week.

You are a vile oval office

fart simpson posted:

yeah but this is one of the big problems with that thread in particular. there’s a group of posters in there who largely want the thread to be the bitch about china, supported by news articles thread, and another group that want it to be the discuss the role of china on the world stage thread, contextualized through the western perspective that all of us are familiar with. the former group has a few people who cry foul, bad faith, trolling, and lying when anyone else wants to do anything other than bitch

Very much this

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Having a different opinion isnt bad faith posting.

Alchenar posted:

And as per my earlier post, I think the reason D&D has a dearth of high quality threads compared to the niche interest subforums that actually discuss stuff in detail is that the people who know what they are talking about get drowned out by the people who either desperately want you to know how bad America is or who are just really really angry that someone else had another opinion on the internet.

Ultimately I think you have to just pick a group of posters that you think D&D is for, make that choice very clear, and then be pretty ruthless about enforcing that choice. I think the recent changes to moderation have been inching towards that, but you just have to take a leap and pick an identity for D&D.

e: ^^ I think very specifically for the China thread in D&D, one thing it really needs is to be closed and for someone to write a new OP that isn't very pre-Xi. If someone were willing and able to do that then it would be good opportunity to reset the tone of the thread and establish what it is for.

You seem to be doing a fair bit of projecting there buddy. Also its blatantly obvious you are posting in bad faith when you describe people with similar opinions to your own as "people that know what they are talking about", having a different view on a nuanced topic doesnt mean someone is wrong or trying to poo poo up the thread.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Somaen posted:

There have been posters bringing up rape apology and Tara Reade in this thread, I would like to just ask how do you square that with being posting friends with this guy who, previously being a champion of Tara Reade, claimed that the Chinese athlete that was taken away by Chinese authorities, had her name scrubbed from the internet and forced to delete her internet post detailing her rape against a powerful party member, was actually a bad breakup? The user comfortably posts among folks calling out the moderators for rape apology or trying to shut down discussion about Reade. The hypocrisy is palpable, how do you create a community where we can assume any good faith posting regarding sensitive issues where the double standards are like this?

You do realise that all the poo poo you claim happened to Peng Shuai didn't actually happen right? Way to use a quoted post that perfectly shows the massive bias at work in the China thread.

As you say, the hypocrisy is palpable. I'll say it again, having a different opinion is not unreasonable, especially in the supposed debate and discussion forum.

thatfatkid fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 31, 2022