Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hey I think the changes have been pretty good, probably the biggest change is just the attitude at the top. Some previous mods appeared to have palpable open contempt for the users here (just look at some of the previous feedback threads), maybe that happens to everyone eventually due to frustration and burnout, I'm not judging but it did cause problems. Just feeling like mods respect posters and enjoy the discussions makes it feel much better.

The moderation has seemed more consistent which I think is probably more important than strictness, I'd much rather have modding that's stricter than I'd prefer if it's consistent, versus modding that's as laid back as I want but arbitrary and unpredictable. It sucks when say, personal insults that mods agree with are allowed under the rule of funny, but if the target hits back they get probed. And I haven't seen that under the new regime.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Also good to see the 'let me restate your position into something totally different from what you said, and then get angry about it for 20 posts' get shut down more consistently.
Yeah as someone who has been guilty of this it's probably a good way to go.
Sometimes people are vague though and kinda like to hint at lovely arguments without coming right out with it, and then act victimized when called out, so one other thing I've appreciated is mods noticing that and telling people who are posting vague one-liners to either make a complete argument or cut it out.

Koos Group posted:

So that's where I jumped the gun a bit in saying Vox was justified by the rules in using "abuser" how he was. The point of the rules is to avoid imprecise language done in order to increase the emotional impact of what you're saying, and to reflect common usage, and Vox's use fails both of those.

Since we're talking about consistency though I'm not really sure that the dictionary debate is the important thing here.

I see people get hit with sixers all the time for accusing people of bad faith and trolling, with a note saying they should report the offending posts or PM a mod about it rather than attacking them in the thread. So I don't understand why that rule against posting about posters isn't being applied here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I haven't seen CG bait anyone they're arguing with into getting probed (at least since Koos took over anyway, idk if it happened before or not)

They do have kinda a bad habit of taking an imperious tone in arguments, which comes off as threatening from a mod, but this was also acknowledged already as something they'll work on.