Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'd be interested to hear from Willa or anyone else on the above points which I don't think have been discussed much itt.

What do you think the tolerance should be for white-noise posts, vague accusations, one-liners etc that don't add much to a discussion?

Obviously I'm not saying there should be a minimum word count for posts or anything. My impression is this is mostly an issue in CE, though less so this month. That thread can get pretty chat-y with a lot of low-content posting.

What constitutes a white-noise or low-content post? When should mods act? Instant 6er on sight? Issue a reminder/warning and then probes if it continues? Let occasional low-content posts slide but if it becomes a pattern for a user, take action? I'm genuinely curious to gauge peoples' thoughts on it.

Here's my two cents on the matter.

White noise: It's pretty subjective on what is or isn't white noise but I do think it'd be good to clamp down on the sort of posts Willa outlined about hypothetical posting. I don't think it should be outright banned or even penalized all that harshly but imo the folks that only wanna post about dumb poo poo some rightwing media personality says or may hypothetically say should be encouraged to post about it in the threads dedicated to that (unless it's relevant to something in the news, of course).

Vague accusations: These days I'm seeing that sort of thing get challenged more often, usually someone responding to the person in question to say something like "Who specifically is saying this?" and then the poster making the accusation ignores that post. Good that people are pushing back on those kinds of vague posts but it's something that does need a mod to step in. IMO if they ignore it and keep posting then they should be asked to give specifics and if they refuse to then obliterate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU