Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

MikeC posted:

and Neurolimtal https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3466532&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=661#post521098251 tried to say that censorship is just the same in 'murica cuz they use soft power to ensure all movies are pro war, pro cop, etc etc and that censorship is effectively the same. Yet again I had to sit there and type a response to prove the blatant lie that took longer to vet than the baseless claim.

I wouldn't personally say "they gave a bullshit reason for firing Emily Wilder, and received epic clapback on twitter over it" is necessarily a thorough debunking, personally. As for accusations of disingenuity & intentionally mucking up threads, I actually opted not to respond precisely because it would have involved getting deep & dirty with the specifics of western soft influence that wouldn't have had much immediate & visible relation to China, as per Fritz' request. I don't believe the posters critical of China are bad-faith actors, I ask for the same in turn.

Daduzi posted:

As someone who's been on the receiving end of both extremes of bad faith arguing in the China thread, I'd like to tentatively purpose two possible rules:

1) No discussing US policy/history/social conditions unless they interact with China or are directly involved in a current news story. I know this seems draconian but at this stage I honestly don't see a way to prevent the thread constantly devolving into arguments about the US otherwise. Note: this still allows for comparison, just not the typical, lazy option of comparison to the US specifically.

2) No jumping straight to Xinjiang/Hong Kong/Tiananmen every time anything that could be construed as remotely positive about China is posted. It should be possible to look at poo poo China does and occasionally think it's a good idea (like jailing business leaders who lie about emissions) without immediately being accused of supporting genocide.

I honestly think those two rules, or something similar, would clear up a lot of the issues people have with the thread.

I think these two rules might help a fair amount in defusing complaints on both sides of the subject. I think posters can tolerate some negative takes without comparing & contrasting if it means some positive takes can be posted without quips about Xinjiang.

For what it's worth; there are four other China threads on the forum, covering negative news about China & food, travel information about China & food, goons in China & food, and positive news about China & Eastern European politics (food didnt seem to catch on as much there). The disharmonious thunderdome nature of the D&D thread, in-my-opinion, gives it purpose beyond aggregating the news portion of the other threads. I don't think theres a way to excise that tension without it becoming a dead thread once more.

All else I've got to say is that Koos is doing a decent job as D&D mod. I hope it doesn't burn him out.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
For the record, Ronya tends to give the most frank, at times cynical, but always thorough and/or informative links & reads on what's going on in China, and I don't believe I've ever seen someone positive on China-in that thread or the Eurasia thread-ever give them The Business. I don't think people convinced that China is [generally] on the right track believe that it can do no wrong, or is above critique when that critique is convincing.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 31, 2022