Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Best Friends posted:

The cycle of China thread discussions often is:

1) China is uniquely bad for doing this thing
2) that thing is not unique and in an international context not even unusual
3) mods, please ban all this whataboutism

Oftentimes the 'uniquely' is something not initially argued, but read in via step 2.

Which would be strawmanning, not whattaboutism, but ends up in the same place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

Just because a criticism of the US contains a fallacy, that doesn't invalidate the criticism.
But it does mean that criticism is not germane to the China thread.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

I feel like using terms like abuser is hosed up and as a victim of abuse it pisses me the hell off to see such a real harmful thing reduced to points-scoring in internet debates with

and it turns out my efforts to be even-handed don't amount to poo poo. nope, when i voice a genuine objection to seeing abuse trivialized like this, its "punishing my posting enemies" rather than being genuine. thats hosed up and it pisses me in particular off
If a term bothers you, say so.
Even if someone is using a different definition in good faith, they should be able to use a better word going forwards.