Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Jizz Festival posted:

I like the direction things are going, but I think moderators should either stay out of discussions or make it extremely clear when they're acting as a moderator and when they aren't. For example, commiegir recently posted this in response to petercat:

How is a post like this supposed to be interpreted? Is this a warning that continuing down this road will lead to mod action, and if it is, then why is it so vague about what, exactly, the problem with the post in question is?

If this is a "normal post" disconnected from commiegir being a mod, then how is it an acceptable post? It's equivalent to saying "this is cringe" which is hardly adding anything to the discussion.

edit: I'd like to add that I think CommieGIR is generally a fair mod although I suspect we disagree on a lot of things.

I think it’s almost certainly the latter — the post was minimizing wage theft by claiming it, at least, wasn’t enforced by gun violence, as opposed to other kinds of theft. These other kinds of theft happen orders of magnitude less than wage theft. It’s probably better if they clarified but I think CommieGIR was suggesting that this is a ridiculous argument to make. If that is the case, I agree.

I’ve observed most of the time if there might be mod action on a particular topic CG will give warning first.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

MikeC posted:

Sounds more like you want a carte-blanche on more Whataboutism to poo poo up the China thread.

Why is whataboutism bad and why do you think it should it be proscribed?

I wonder the same about what people call “doomism,” which people also seem eager to punish.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

TheDisreputableDog posted:

CommieGIR and I were butting heads over something and one page later they asked people to stop posting on that topic (I did). Later on they retroactively probed me for breaking that rule (I hadn’t), and when I asked via PM I was told “I retroactively probed you because several people reported your post”.

CommieGIR has proven repeatedly they don’t have the emotional maturity to either separate or properly communicate “posting hat” vs “mod hat”. One of those hats should be off the table.

I agree with this 100% and brought it up the last time. They seem nice enough but do not show the characteristics and cool head that is required of the job, which should be pretty clear from the fact that they have had to be put on probation for other moderators because of their highly reactive handling of situations. It seems like a bad thing to do to someone to keep expecting them to hold this responsibility. I personally like them more than other mods, but that has no bearing on whether they make a good one. Many people are saying this and it keeps coming up. This behavior seems unlikely to stop.