Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Mods should need to peer review probations with people they are debating with. I'm sure it happens and I just don't realize it, but more than just asking another mod to probate someone without question, sometimes we all need a "dude your in the wrong here" to better self regulate our emotional responses. The fact that people are afraid of getting probed when a mod is arguing is not great. Y'all do good work, but knowing a probe is being looked at by a neutral person may coax those fears.

It's worked that way since I've been here and I assume most of the time previously. Earlier this week another mod pinged the Discord channel asking for a second set of eyes on a series of posts and thought a specific poster might need a probation. I had a look and didn't think a probation was warranted, but I did participate in the thread for a bit.

It's very common to get a second or third opinion on something before acting and afaict it's sort of an unwritten rule that you grab someone else to review if you're engaged in the discussion yourself. D&D moderation is a pretty collaborative process.

edit: also, we have a pretty active team of six mods looking at the US politics threads and the number of reports is somewhat down as I understand it. The combination of having a pretty full bench and fewer reports means reports are getting looked at very closely and anything tricky involves several mods discussing it.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

A big flaming stink posted:

this isn't an ideological thing, I just think that threads generate better discussion when the subject is allowed to meander

Several China thread posters expressed concern that the thread often wandered into non-China topics, in particular discussion of the US (not necessarily whataboutism).

The specific reason I've popped in to remind people to try and keep posts relevant to China is because several users said it was a problem.

I don't think we've probated anyone for derails or off-topic posting and it's not been my intention to threaten that.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Willa Rogers posted:

Get Rid of the White Noise
Not sure why “fox news will have a field day with this!,” “conspiracists will love this!” or other fantasies/ventriloquizing about ideological enemies is considered hallowed content to be celebrated & propagated.

It’s boring! Who cares what they’re “going to say”! If you’re that obsessed then go visit freerepublic, or at least the freeper-oriented threads, but if conservatives are taking up that much free[p] space in your mind then at least keep that poo poo out of a “current events” thread bc such fantasies are neither current nor events.

Clamp Down on Vague, Unsourced Accusations
Eg, crap like "Nice to see people in this thread believe Hitler was a cool guy" without quoting the poster to whom they're directing their misguided venom. Probate that poo poo on sight.
I'd be interested to hear from Willa or anyone else on the above points which I don't think have been discussed much itt.

What do you think the tolerance should be for white-noise posts, vague accusations, one-liners etc that don't add much to a discussion?

Obviously I'm not saying there should be a minimum word count for posts or anything. My impression is this is mostly an issue in CE, though less so this month. That thread can get pretty chat-y with a lot of low-content posting.

What constitutes a white-noise or low-content post? When should mods act? Instant 6er on sight? Issue a reminder/warning and then probes if it continues? Let occasional low-content posts slide but if it becomes a pattern for a user, take action? I'm genuinely curious to gauge peoples' thoughts on it.

edit: I also don't intend for the above examples to be the only options, just throwing out ideas.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 31, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

fart simpson posted:

yeah but this is one of the big problems with that thread in particular. there’s a group of posters in there who largely want the thread to be the bitch about china, supported by news articles thread, and another group that want it to be the discuss the role of china on the world stage thread, contextualized through the western perspective that all of us are familiar with. the former group has a few people who cry foul, bad faith, trolling, and lying when anyone else wants to do anything other than bitch

idk if I necessarily agree with this characterization, but you're missing an important group: people actually in China (HK, Taiwan) or very familiar with internal Chinese politics who don't fit into any of the groups you describe. ronya is a good example of that but far from the only one.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Professor Beetus posted:

It's pretty easy to read back a few pages and get a good sense of the context for the report. Also, some mods, like myself, do a lot more lurking then posting. So even if I don't spend a lot of time posting outside Covid thread, I still keep up with a number of DnD threads and am familiar with their discussions.

Yeah for example I rarely engage in discussion in CE or China thread but I do have them bookmarked and read or at least skim almost every post, I've done so well before I came on as a mod.