Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

D&D seems a lot better now than it was just a few weeks ago, so good job :thumbsup:

Yep. The difference is significant. I don't post much in D&D (or in general), but I'm much more likely to participate in the CE thread now than I was a few weeks ago.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I think the CE thread is at it’s best when it’s loosely moderated and posters themselves determine where it leads. A semi-relevant derail every now and then isn’t something that warrants active intervention.

I agree with this to some extent...but it obviously depends on the derail, and the overall "feel" (for want of a better term) of the conversation. I don't really give a poo poo if there's a derail about something interesting and somewhat related (or even not related at all, but I realize that's more personal and one thing that folks are trying to actively discourage). That being said, there are particular "black holes" of political conversation that have been beaten into a fine mist on these forums, and erring on the side of shutting them down (unless there's something seriously new being brought to the table) is the wise choice.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Also good to see the 'let me restate your position into something totally different from what you said, and then get angry about it for 20 posts' get shut down more consistently.

Holy poo poo this.
It seems like folks who are often 90% in agreement on issues act like Lifelong Posting Enemies based on one or both of them constructing elaborate-yet-simplistic imaginary positions to be outraged by.
This, IMO, was one of the most common precursors to pages of lovely slapfighting, and it's super nice to see it pointed out and discouraged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU