Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

For a while the COVID thread had been doing a lot of "what's your source on this" arguing which not only bogs down the thread, but is ultimately futile because of the dearth of high-quality information out there (there's a lot we don't know, every new variant gives us new things that we don't know, and a lot of so-called experts are just pushing their own pet narratives). The thread has been more readable lately, and I give my sincere congratulations to the mods for that.

Alchenar posted:

And as per my earlier post, I think the reason D&D has a dearth of high quality threads compared to the niche interest subforums that actually discuss stuff in detail is that the people who know what they are talking about get drowned out by the people who either desperately want you to know how bad America is or who are just really really angry that someone else had another opinion on the internet.

It takes a lot more time and effort to respond to misinformation than it is to post misinformation in the first place. And even if the wrong post is corrected, the anchor of the original misinformation is difficult to override.

I agree that it's frustrating to post in D&D within one's area of expertise, so I usually avoid participating on these topics. But I wouldn't go as far as to state that the people that I have interacted with on these topics are doing so in bad faith just to serve a separate argument. People can be wrong for a number of different reasons (see Smeef's post at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3992182&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post521120898) and assuming that others aren't simply misinformed or missing a piece of the bigger picture is entirely unfair to the other posters.

Ultimately, this is a downside to mods not moderating positions. It's impossible for them to be experts in all fields so they can't moderate the positions, and it would be unfair to ask or expect that of them. But yes, it ultimately leads to D&D posting trending toward "being wrong in the right way" and that anyone wishing to be actually informed on a technical topic should do so by reading the other subforums and threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU