Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

have liked it and though I have taken a few probes in that time, none of seemed especially unfair or about anything deeper than my admittedly habitual line-stepping ways.

I like that there is less TAKE IT TO X THREAD where the conversation often goes and dies.

I appreciate that we seem to have a little wider band to talk about politics as not being entirely encompassed by electoralism which also seems good to me. I am trying to get better at seeing when I’ve reached the uncrossable divides in worldview that basically mean a conversation should be over—despite the somewhat popular refrain, I don’t think everyone in, for instance the CE thread “wants the same thing” and it’s felt a little easier to tease out those differences.

Edit:

One thing I feel is different is the haste with which certain types of posts lead to suspension, which is to say I think folks are given a little bit more time and leeway to discuss and debate. I think a great example is the post that proved so egregious to someone’s sensibilities that they gave me my custom title and the link to the post that pissed everyone off so bad. But go read that post: at no point do I recommend doing anything actually illegal, it’s just leveraging the system, and in ways that have been done by all flavors of political actors in our system in the past. Any discussion of illegal acts in the post is use to frame the lengths to which political actors have gone before, not as a suggested course of action, as a rhetorical device for measuring the exact level of fecklessness of the administration at the time the post was made.

I think I could’ve explained all that had there been a less hasty, angry reaction, and more of a “it seems you’re saying” and a request for clarification.

I will say it was validating to see the individual points I made become boilerplate discussion fodder in the months that followed and I hope whoever bought me my title and text reflects on that; I took my probe with the feeling of an eighteen year old who has been caught playing on a Babe Ruth little league team, and what was once heretical has become banal.

selec fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU