Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I mean...if you feel its probe worth: Report it. Mods are fair game, and I've been hit before as a mod. But in no way did I use probes as a way to shut down arguments I was involved with in that example. So I guess: What's the problem? I have no doubt Koos will freely probate me or call me out if I'm doing something wrong and I also specifically asked for mod peer review of that argument in general.

Lib specifically said I was threatening to use my buttons on them and then they refused to engage because of it.

And fully agree with Koos: There should be a rule against Mods using their buttons against people they are debating with. Its already pretty much a defacto unstated rule as it is.

You're not getting it: You issue commands, directives & challenges that are... inappropriate coming from a mod, as is what seems to be your ego having to have the last word & not gracefully terminating an argument once it's run its course.

It has nothing to do with reporting your poo poo & everything to do with your being unpleasant in the way you engage with & respond to other posters. It's not about you probating people with whom you're arguing, but rather your hostile & threatening tone.

This is a pattern a lot of people are noticing, mentioning itt & PM'ing Koos about. And instead of acknowledging what these issues are, you're digging in & doubling down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Generally, I'm v. happy with life under Koos Your Daddy and it seems as if we're getting a wider range of posters these days, which means more interesting content.

Broader allowable discourse is a good thing, not a bad thing, as are challenges to one's beliefs outside of echo chambers & circle jerks. It's not "trolling" or "bad faith"; it's sharpening the discourse instead of dulling it.

If one's beliefs are firm, and one trusts them, one should welcome challenges to those beliefs to help solidify them, rather than dismissing them out of hand by trying to label them as insincere.

Improvements that still could be made:

Get Rid of the White Noise
Not sure why “fox news will have a field day with this!,” “conspiracists will love this!” or other fantasies/ventriloquizing about ideological enemies is considered hallowed content to be celebrated & propagated.

It’s boring! Who cares what they’re “going to say”! If you’re that obsessed then go visit freerepublic, or at least the freeper-oriented threads, but if conservatives are taking up that much free[p] space in your mind then at least keep that poo poo out of a “current events” thread bc such fantasies are neither current nor events.

Practice What You Preach
Mods don't always give posters the benefit of the doubt; mods don't always play nice with posters; mods don't always avoid claiming hivemind-like think themselves.

Clamp Down on Vague, Unsourced Accusations
Eg, crap like "Nice to see people in this thread believe Hitler was a cool guy" without quoting the poster to whom they're directing their misguided venom. Probate that poo poo on sight.

Get Rid of the Deadwood
No, not the guy who backseat mods every thread (although seeing a probation or two land in his lap for it would be novel), but rather the necromancy in the topic list of threads. Rules thread should stay at the top, like an admin/forums announcement. Not sure why the other threads are stickied rn, except for maybe the toon contest. (eta: And please gas CRAP-rated threads already. They're gassed for a reason--they're crap!)

Posters Should Be Encouraged to Walk Away from Arguments
Pissing contests are boring to read, and I say this as someone who's streamed a lot of urine here. Ain't no one want to read 6 pages of back-n-forth.

vvv Yah, I agree that the easing-off has been a positive development, in spite of my harshing above.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 29, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ This too.

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'd be interested to hear from Willa or anyone else on the above points which I don't think have been discussed much itt.

What do you think the tolerance should be for white-noise posts, vague accusations, one-liners etc that don't add much to a discussion?

Obviously I'm not saying there should be a minimum word count for posts or anything. My impression is this is mostly an issue in CE, though less so this month. That thread can get pretty chat-y with a lot of low-content posting.

What constitutes a white-noise or low-content post? When should mods act? Instant 6er on sight? Issue a reminder/warning and then probes if it continues? Let occasional low-content posts slide but if it becomes a pattern for a user, take action? I'm genuinely curious to gauge peoples' thoughts on it.

edit: I also don't intend for the above examples to be the only options, just throwing out ideas.

I'm fine with letting the "what will freepers do?" posts slide if that's the general consensus (I mean, they're irritating & boring but not harmful), but I think those accusatory-toward-no-one-in-particular strawman posts are lovely & harmful to discourse.

eta: I agree with srice 100 percent:

Srice posted:

Here's my two cents on the matter.

White noise: It's pretty subjective on what is or isn't white noise but I do think it'd be good to clamp down on the sort of posts Willa outlined about hypothetical posting. I don't think it should be outright banned or even penalized all that harshly but imo the folks that only wanna post about dumb poo poo some rightwing media personality says or may hypothetically say should be encouraged to post about it in the threads dedicated to that (unless it's relevant to something in the news, of course).

Vague accusations: These days I'm seeing that sort of thing get challenged more often, usually someone responding to the person in question to say something like "Who specifically is saying this?" and then the poster making the accusation ignores that post. Good that people are pushing back on those kinds of vague posts but it's something that does need a mod to step in. IMO if they ignore it and keep posting then they should be asked to give specifics and if they refuse to then obliterate them.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 31, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Alchenar posted:

And as per my earlier post, I think the reason D&D has a dearth of high quality threads compared to the niche interest subforums that actually discuss stuff in detail is that the people who know what they are talking about get drowned out by the people who either desperately want you to know how bad America is or who are just really really angry that someone else had another opinion on the internet.

Ultimately I think you have to just pick a group of posters that you think D&D is for, make that choice very clear, and then be pretty ruthless about enforcing that choice. I think the recent changes to moderation have been inching towards that, but you just have to take a leap and pick an identity for D&D.

Holy crap, what a great example of the worst of old-style D&D-think, from your deciding who "knows what they're talking about" to making them an Elite Posting Group to banning others on the subjective grounds of "people who disagree with me or others who think like me."

Props for your honesty, though; I'll give you that.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 31, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Do you want to go into detail what "D&D-think" is? Last I checked you were a top 3 poster in the most active thread in the forum.

I think that post is bad too, but do you imagine that reinforcing "D&D posts like this, but we post like this" does anything good?

I should have said "old-style D&D-think" like during the nasty rodents' tenures modding and when contrary opinions were banned or probated. My fault, and I'll edit that post.

eta: I explained what I meant in the post you're asking me to explain what I meant.

Koos Group posted:

We must then assume that Willa loves D&D-think, and engages in it at a high level.

Too true! The modern dnd, I do. Old-style dnd was a loving cesspit.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 31, 2022