Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

30.5 Days posted:

To be fair, step 2 ends up being a long drawn out argument and then someone walks in and goes "why the gently caress is every post on this page about whether America suppressed Fred Hamptons free speech by murdering him?"

It's reasonable to not want that to happen in the China thread, but it also seems unavoidable as long as there's a crowd of people badly overextending themselves to declare China the Most Evil Country and doggedly refusing to admit it.

I think the problem here is the unstated assumption that if a comparison is going to be made it is only possible for it to be to the US. Which, yep, means every other page the thread derails into arguments about American politics which really loving sucks for those of us who just want to discuss what's happening in China.

As someone who's been on the receiving end of both extremes of bad faith arguing in the China thread, I'd like to tentatively purpose two possible rules:

1) No discussing US policy/history/social conditions unless they interact with China or are directly involved in a current news story. I know this seems draconian but at this stage I honestly don't see a way to prevent the thread constantly devolving into arguments about the US otherwise. Note: this still allows for comparison, just not the typical, lazy option of comparison to the US specifically.

2) No jumping straight to Xinjiang/Hong Kong/Tiananmen every time anything that could be construed as remotely positive about China is posted. It should be possible to look at poo poo China does and occasionally think it's a good idea (like jailing business leaders who lie about emissions) without immediately being accused of supporting genocide.

I honestly think those two rules, or something similar, would clear up a lot of the issues people have with the thread.

Daduzi fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
I'm as sick of whatabboutism as the next person, but trolling on an internet forum ain't abuse. It's pretty easy to just not engage.