Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I remember when I played through this myself the first time I tried to talk anyone else into driving Jen and telling her I can't drive either before even trying to get the keys. As you'd imagine with this sort of story, it does not work in the slightest, even though it really undercuts the whole "come to grips with your guilt over the horrible thing you did, you monster" point.

e: To be fair to this game, it's still on the whole an entertaining game and I love the style! This just commits a pretty common videogame writing sin and undercuts its power as a result.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

TheMcD posted:

I mean, it doesn't really undercut it that much. This isn't about what could have happened or what could have been done differently. This isn't about taking one of the several off-ramps to potentially avoid this. This is about what happened, and how James specifically did not take any of those opportunities to not go through with this. Like how I ended up writing "slow down" in the driving part and all I got back is "That's not what really happened though, is it?". James is still hiding mentally, ducking into fantasy to keep from having to accept reality. This segment is about him specifically going through exactly what happened that night, every last step of it, and after three sessions of hiding in fantasy, having to finally accept the actual reality that he's been trying to keep from facing. That's why it's railroaded. The player is to specifically go through the sequence, seeing every pitfall and every mistake, all the way to the collision, and then seeing James make his situation even worse by trying to frame someone else for his mistake in the heat of the moment.

I think maybe it would have come off differently if the explicit, obvious railroading had started earlier. Type in "tell Jen I can't drive", get back "you've drunk a bit, but you're fine, you're even better than fine right now, and everyone else is clearly way more drunk". Try to ask Mom or Dad etc. and you get "they're clearly too drunk to drive her, and anyway Jen's in a hurry, don't you want to help her out?" Bit of a quibble over when James' mind should have started telling him he needs to relive this vs. the fences being more invisible for longer, maybe, and I don't disagree with the artistic target that was set for this.