Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
does SMRPG count as a final fantasy? because i know i beat that one. lazy shell peach + frying pan ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

9 is by far the comfiest final fantasy. If I get isekai'd i want it to be to the world from fighting foodons, but FF9 is in close contention.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Khanstant posted:

how many final fantasy games have you ever beaten, like, beat the main final boss? Unless I did it as a young teen binging on SNES ROMs and forgot, I don't think I ever have. FF7 I've come closest, but once you get disc 3 and the map opens up i gotta get the golden chocobo and secret materias and beat up the secret weapons and blegh I'll never finish that game. FF12 is the best combat of the franchise by a few thousand miles, but drat these games are freaking long with lots of downtime to drag em out longer, even with fast forwarding tricks.

just 7

8, i got stuck in the fight where rinoa is attached to ultamecias back right at the start of disc 4
9, i got stuck at some staircase with a massive eye monster right at the top, might have been near the end can't remember
10, i stopped somewhere around a big wedding scene with a lot of seymour

rox
Sep 7, 2016

nier: [a]utomata time at frost fatales

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i got to the final boss of 4 as a kid and couldn't be bothered figuring out how to deal with big bang

other than that I've beaten 5, 7, 9, and 10. despite how much i like 10-2 I've never actually finished it lol. 1 is neat, 2 is weird, 3 sucks, 6 i think i got about halfway through and stopped for whatever reason, same with 12, 15 just didn't grab me at all. never played 8 or the 13s

rox
Sep 7, 2016

i beat ff1 and thats it lol

almost got to the end of 12 tho

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t care too much for the battle system in most Final Fantasies, I’ve only been able to complete about four of them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
FF9's faults are numerous and I love it all the same despite those numerous flaws.

I think the best way I could describe why I enjoy FF9 so much is if I just quote this bit from the game.

quote:

Ipsen and his good friend Colin worked at a tavern in Treno. One day, Ipsen got a letter. The letter was so wet from rain that most of the writing was illegible. The only part he could read said, 'Come back home'. Nowadays, we have airships and stuff, but back then, it was really hard to travel. He didn't know why he had to go back, but he got some time off, gathered his things, and set out on his journey home. He walked a thousand leagues through the Mist. Sometimes he was attacked by vicious monsters, but he made it, because his friend Colin was by his side. And then, after much time on the road, he had to ask Colin something: "Why did you come with me?" "Only because I wanted to go with you."

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FFs definitely are all too long

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

6 was actually surprisingly breezy. If I hadn't cleaned up all the espers and what not it woulda been less than thirty hours

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
FF9 is only 12 hours long :twisted:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
my sister always does this nonsense to me: "I'm going to _____, do you want any souvenirs?"

What the heck do I want from Chicago

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I beat 6 on an emulator while in high school, 7 in college, and 9 just a few years ago with my wife basically reading a strategy guide to me to smooth out the rough parts. I beat 15 like a week after release, it was really easy and straightforward in spite of the road trip aesthetic.

Shinjobi posted:

my sister always does this nonsense to me: "I'm going to _____, do you want any souvenirs?"

You could get a little replica of the Cloud Gate bean. I thought that was a cool sculpture when I visited but didn’t think to get any souvenirs.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 1, 2022

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Shinjobi posted:

the bean

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
These Final Fantasy games are too long at 40 hours.

Excuse me while I go play Horizon and Elden Ring for two hundred hours.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Shinjobi posted:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Shinjobi posted:

Have her bring you back a big tub of Garrett’s Popcorn

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Marbles. Ask for some chicago-made marbles.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shinjobi posted:

“pizza”

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
don't fall for that they'll try to give you a lovely lasagna

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Shinjobi posted:

pizza

e:f,b

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I accept any and all t-shirts

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
19 hours into Elden Ring and i am nowhere close to finishing this. I looooove it. This game is huuuuuuuuuge.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone play Infernax? It looked cool but the price looked steep for a game that seems like it'd be pretty short.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How I’m coping:
Maybe my white-screen-on-startup-and-crash-to-desktop elden ring problems are just from the reportedly subpar pc version of the game that will soon be fixed in a patch, and not the result of my twenty-year-old graphics card that I cannot afford to replace anytime soon

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If anyone wants to make me momentarily depressed: quote my previous post and say “nope that’s not how it works” with enough confidence to sound like you know what you’re talking about

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

How I’m coping:
Maybe my white-screen-on-startup-and-crash-to-desktop elden ring problems are just from the reportedly subpar pc version of the game that will soon be fixed in a patch, and not the result of my twenty-year-old graphics card that I cannot afford to replace anytime soon

You're probably right

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thank you, gamer :unsmith:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
your video card is bad and it reflects a moral failing as a human being onto you

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If it was your video card then the game would be choppy as hell, not just crashing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Your penis size is directly correlated with VIDEO CARD sorry mang

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What does crossfire imply

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Simply play shoestring budget JRPGs instead imo

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

FilthyImp posted:

Your penis size is directly correlated with VIDEO CARD sorry mang

does anyone need a video card? I'm trying to switch to integrated graphics.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/1498504217761173511?s=20&t=4sjJ-Xd2VyLpCUPGbMlffw

:yikeseroo:

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Jay Rust posted:

How I’m coping:

I had the exact same problem, and I'm coping by downloading Sekiro :smith: .

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There are a bunch of potential fixes for it on “reddit”, some pretty out-there ones I don’t quite get (uninstall the epic game store? Delete your temp folder? Rename your .exe files?) that sometimes seem to work for some folks, though I haven’t had much luck myself. I’d still recommend checking google, maybe you’ll be one of the lucky ones?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Someone make march thread, NOW

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's plenty of time left in February

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

There are a bunch of potential fixes for it on “reddit”, some pretty out-there ones I don’t quite get (uninstall the epic game store? Delete your temp folder? Rename your .exe files?) that sometimes seem to work for some folks, though I haven’t had much luck myself. I’d still recommend checking google, maybe you’ll be one of the lucky ones?

If you've got the space, try cranking your paging file up a shitload to, like, 20-25gb. Crashing without an error usually speaks to being out of memory from my past experiences.