Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

There was a very rare sequel to Bomberman 64 called The Second Attack that hardly anyone has played or even knows about despite its predecessor's relative fame. It improves upon the first in basically every way with branching story paths, an extremely rad elemental stone system that let you use all sorts different elemental bombs, and a surprisingly heady plot full of like, biblical allegories and poo poo.
The real standout part is the soundtrack though which is somehow even better than the original's and is legitimately one of the best soundtracks to any game I've ever played. There's a scene late in the game where the incarnation of God suddenly heel-turns on you for your elemental stones and the music is timed in such a way that the song fully kicks in just exactly when they make their declaration; I was actually amazed that Bomberman of all things was actually wow-ing me with its story and composition :stare:

I owned it and had no idea at the time it was super rare lol

It was fun in coop but the multiplayer was more or less standard Bomberman again so I didn't like it as much. You could buy items from the cowboy prospector's store, including the literal clothes off his back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I owned it and had no idea at the time it was super rare lol

It was fun in coop but the multiplayer was more or less standard Bomberman again so I didn't like it as much. You could buy items from the cowboy prospector's store, including the literal clothes off his back

The price has gone down a bit after they printed some reproduction carts a few years ago, but even now it's still a good couple hundo on ebay. I manage to snag mine back in 2010 for $40 right before the price shot up :laugh:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I remember playing Bomberman 64 and loving it, since it was so different from other Bomberman games. I tried to collect all the costume pieces but there'd be, like, a collectible on a pedestal in the middle of a chasm and like four spaces up with nothing around it and I just absolutely had no idea how to get to those.

Still loved the game. The only Bomberman game ive ever owned.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

There was a very rare sequel to Bomberman 64 called The Second Attack that hardly anyone has played or even knows about despite its predecessor's relative fame. It improves upon the first in basically every way with branching story paths, an extremely rad elemental stone system that let you use all sorts different elemental bombs, and a surprisingly heady plot full of like, biblical allegories and poo poo.
The real standout part is the soundtrack though which is somehow even better than the original's and is legitimately one of the best soundtracks to any game I've ever played. There's a scene late in the game where the incarnation of God suddenly heel-turns on you for your elemental stones and the music is timed in such a way that the song fully kicks in just exactly when they make their declaration; I was actually amazed that Bomberman of all things was actually wow-ing me with its story and composition :stare:

Yatsunori Mitsuda (the Chrono Trigger guy) did the music, in case you didn't know.

The story of that game was directed by Naoki Yoshida aka Yoshi-P, the FFXIV dude, and there's apparently references to that Bomberman story stashed away in some dungeon somewhere.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yatsunori Mitsuda (the Chrono Trigger guy) did the music, in case you didn't know.

The story of that game was directed by Naoki Yoshida aka Yoshi-P, the FFXIV dude, and there's apparently references to that Bomberman story stashed away in some dungeon somewhere.

Wait, what the gently caress?

edit: what the gently caress?

victrix fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 3, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mitsuda is the Xenogears guy, too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

A number of people have played Bomberman 64, but I've not met a soul who's played the rather rare Saturn Bomberman that supported 10 player matches.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Gonna go again, and this time, talk about,

GrimGrimoire

GrimGrimoire (stylized on the cover as GriMgRiMoiRe but like hell I'm typing that over and over) is an RTS without multiplayer exclusively for the PS2. That's a pretty ridiculous idea on its face. Most people who play RTSes mostly play multiplayer. And controlling an RTS with a controller instead of keyboard+mouse is kind of miserable. So how is this not only on my list, but one of the highest ranked games on metacritic? (At the time I write this post, it is the top-rated game on Metacritic by user score--though considerably lower by critic score).

Well, first off, the fact that the game doesn't have multiplayer sort of counterbalances the inherent weakness of controller an RTS with a controller. Because it's all single-player, you can pause whenever you want, and scroll your cursor around while paused. So, at the very least, those two weaknesses "cancel out" and result in an experience that isn't terrible on its face. And the single player campaign is pretty good! I'm sure it's nothing special by RTS standards, but I feel like most of the people playing Grimgrimoire are anime nerds, not RTS nerds, and a baby game with a baby campaign suits us nicely. It starts you off slowly and ramps up nicely, as a perfect intro to RTS concepts in a low-stakes environment. It ends up fairly simplistic because it's not trying to be balanced for multiplayer. Once you're far enough in the campaign to have access to the highest tier of units, every map can be solved by turtling until you have more dragons than the AI does, and then just marching them across the map. But there's some interesting facets in the turtling. It's not going to top anybody's lists of RTSes, but it's fun enough.

So what makes it so special, besides being an RTS for babies? That comes entirely down to the aesthetics. I.e., everything but the gameplay. First off, it's a vanillaware game. That means the spritework is gorgeous, especially for the era. It's sort of hard to find a screenshot that just communicates how good it looks, especially in motion, but if you've ever played a Vanillaware game (Odin Sphere, Muramasa, 13 Sentinels) you'll understand instantly.

This screenshot was the closest I could find to showing off its spritework, but it really just doesn't look as good in screenshots as it does in motion

I end up revisiting this game every five years or so mostly because of the story, though. It presents itself as a harry potter-esque story: our lead is a young student of magic on her first day of classes at magic school. She soon discovers that she's stuck in a timeloop, and quickly starts abusing that to her benefit. No single element of the story is particularly original, but it's all done so well that it sticks in my mind years later. She strikes a deal with a devil to gain information in exchange for her soul--but then time loops before the devil can collect. She uses the accumulated knowledge of her past loops to blow past her teachers and explore the secrets of the school. She meets a homunculus questioning the purpose of her existence and teaches her to love. It never really does anything particularly original, but everything it does is so well-executed it's stuck in my brain when so many of its contemporaries have faded out of my memory.

Pictured: a gay couple so obvious even my dumbass teenage self could tell they were loving

Anyways, if you don't mind a bit of old game jank, like anime, and are curious to see what the fuss is with the highest ranked game on metacritic, give it a shot. It's a little hard to really say what makes it so good, besides just saying, it's good.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Speaking of single player PS2 RTSes: I played the poo poo out of KESSEN back in the day. That was my first exposure to strategy games of any sort.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kessen was dope

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Well this explains a loving lot about the abnormally high quality of the game :lol:
There was a whole squad of other excellent composers who worked on it too but I didn't know it was that Mitsuda hidden away in there, and that Naoki Yoshida who wrote it :stare:

victrix posted:

Wait, what the gently caress?

edit: what the gently caress?

Yeah my sentiments exactly. I wonder what the hell dungeon has the secret references in it?

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 4, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This explains all the FF14 bosses that throw bombs at you

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Who the gently caress played Nightmare Ned except for me.

This was a kids game from 1997 that was about a kid named Ned who falls asleep after eating a bunch of junk food and has nightmares where he has to go through a series of themed levels after his fears like school (bullying), a human mouth/hospital (the dentist), a graveyard (the inevitable death of his grandfather), and so on. Supposedly it was based off a TV show but I never saw it, and Wikipedia says that it was dropped after 12 episodes in 1997.

The art style was a combination of cartoon, semi-realistic photographs, and claymation. You went around hitting things with your yo yo and trying not to get hit in return, or you would get sent back to the start of the level. If you lost too many times the entire game would end.

It was actually a pretty creepy game for something designed for kids, featuring a lot of body horror and legitimately creepy designs. It was also hard as gently caress because the game was so janky. It was probably my first experience as a kid with something that was supposed to be actually creepy instead of Halloween-chic stuff on TV, and probably had a lot to do with why I like horror games now.

Also the game is so old that I believe that you cannot beat one of the levels on a modern computer, the autoscroller where you are tied to a gurney, because the level is tied to clock rate and it turns it into Battletoads.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 5, 2022

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Crime Time from 1991. It's a DOS adventure game.

Honestly it's not very good, but it was one of the only games I had on my Dad's computer at a formative time in my youth, and...

Yeah. DOS boobies. Is that little red dot there supposed to be a nipple? Probably not because it's nowhere near the right spot. This was the HEIGHT of titillation at the time, I swear.

quote:

The story is a classical mystery setting: two friends go hitchhiking, and since it's raining so bad, they rest in a small hotel. One of the two starts to drink till he's totally out of control. He stumbles into the wrong room, gets knocked out and wakes up next to a corpse. Now, you have to prove you didn't do anything.

I never got terribly far in this, but it's stuck in my mind permanently.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

CuddleCryptid posted:

Who the gently caress played Nightmare Ned except for me.

This was a kids game from 1997 that was about a kid named Ned who falls asleep after eating a bunch of junk food and has nightmares where he has to go through a series of themed levels after his fears like school (bullying), a human mouth/hospital (the dentist), a graveyard (the inevitable death of his grandfather), and so on. Supposedly it was based off a TV show but I never saw it, and Wikipedia says that it was dropped after 12 episodes in 1997.

The art style was a combination of cartoon, semi-realistic photographs, and claymation. You went around hitting things with your yo yo and trying not to get hit in return, or you would get sent back to the start of the level. If you lost too many times the entire game would end.

It was actually a pretty creepy game for something designed for kids, featuring a lot of body horror and legitimately creepy designs. It was also hard as gently caress because the game was so janky. It was probably my first experience as a kid with something that was supposed to be actually creepy instead of Halloween-chic stuff on TV, and probably had a lot to do with why I like horror games now.

Also the game is so old that I believe that you cannot beat one of the levels on a modern computer, the autoscroller where you are tied to a gurney, because the level is tied to clock rate and it turns it into Battletoads.

God, I recognized that cover instantly. You're not alone! I played it too as a kid. Next to no memory of it, though.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

A number of people have played Bomberman 64, but I've not met a soul who's played the rather rare Saturn Bomberman that supported 10 player matches.

Absolutely the defining game of my teenage years before music and girls dragged me out of my room. My friend basically had his flat to himself because his mum worked nights so we'd pile over with anime and horror tapes and play Saturn Bomberman, Street Fighter Alpha 2and pull old XMen comics from a Farmfoods bag. It was great and I think Saturn Bomberman is one of the best videogames ever made.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I really enjoyed leveling to max/exploring the world of Richard "General British" Garriott's Tabula Rasa. I haven't heard anyone mention it in something like a decade because it was just another failed MMO from a period when those were a dime a dozen. But I'm a weirdo who likes to play MMOs just to level to max and then quit, and I'd say that one is probably in my top 3. There was just something about the game's atmosphere that really gelled with me.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Oh my. It looks like those Dark Sun computer games are actually on GOG. Maybe that means these versions are possible to play without futzing around with MS-DOS console editors. https://www.gog.com/en/game/dungeons_dragons_dark_sun_series This is nice! I remember that watching people playing the old TSR D&D video games was one of the things that got me really excited to learn to read. As a kid, seeing the little pixel people fighting their way through all sorts of wild locations and monsters was pretty engaging, but the mystery of the dialogue and its power to change or remove fights was also fascinating. Dark sun was the most memorable of all, because it had lavishly detailed pixel art maps that rewarded the player for scrutinizing them for hidden details or choke points that could give an advantage in combat.

In Dark Sun, you start as a party of slave gladiators, battling your way through all sorts of crazy monsters in the arena until you eventually figure out one of like half a dozen ways to escape (plus like half a dozen fake routes, there's quite a few jerks who will scam you or dead ends.) I can still remember the monster sprites and sound effects, the artists did a spectacular job making me just recoil from the screen when a new monster popped up and go "woah, what IS that?" Spells and attacks all had really impactful sounds, though the music wasn't anything truly special.

But then, you get out. Your party of adventures makes their way into the sewers, gets embroiled in rat people politics, and you again have multiple factions to talk to and possibly side with. If you are careful and observant, you might even discover a giant optional dungeon with a memorable mad scientist who was messing with the rat people from the shadows I completely missed the first time through. All the routes and the willingness to let the player miss content made for a phenomenal feeling of freedom and replayability. Shattered Lands keeps opening up from there, with a massive world you can get lost exploring and surprisingly little handholding.

There are more impressive western RPGs, from a writing or gameplay perspective. It has been almost 30 years since Shattered Lands came out. But it is still very charming. And I can't think of many games with such gorgeous pixel art. You have an inventory and a paper doll with slots for equipment, and shuffling stuff around had a lot of tactile appeal. Bone swords look different from obsidian swords, which look different from the rare metal swords. And then when you start finding magical sprites, the new sprites have little glowing gem decorations where a pixel flows between different shades of color. It's cute!

I remember that when I got player housing later on, I spread out a bunch of the little treasures I'd picked up all over the house and just marveled at all the sprites. I had loads of treasure chests and bags, most of which again looked totally different from each other, and I could open each one up and half-remember the story of when I tried saving a town from a creepy brainwashing wizard who kept threatening to feed hostages to a sand kraken, until I managed to take advantage of a moment of hubris (he thought that his new demon-statue body was invincible). Or when I managed to broker a peace between surprisingly chill talking spiders and a hiving mind of fungus-hobbits.

There is a bigger story, about making allies so you can stand together against a punitive army from gladiator slave city. The game often bugged out around then. But I remember Shattered Lands best for the lands themselves. The desert was huge, and weird, you never knew what the next map might bring. I absolutely adore this game, and it played a big role in making me into a fan of D&D. Thank you, Strategic Simulations Inc!

EDIT: Oh nice, looks like there's actually an archived LP of this: https://lparchive.org/ADD-Dark-Sun-Shattered-Lands/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I had I want to say the full version of Dark Sun Shattered Lands, or maybe it was some sort of demo. See, I can't tell you because it never worked on my PC back then, and by the time I got a better system, I had moved on.

Checking it out on Wikipedia, this made me :lol: and also explained what likely happened with my copy:

Wikipedia posted:

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands is a turn-based role-playing video game that takes place in the Dungeons and Dragons' campaign setting of Dark Sun. It was released for MS-DOS in a somewhat unfinished state in 1993 by Strategic Simulations, and later patched to a more workable version.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Man, I have strong memories of playing Forgotten Sun and having absolutely no loving idea what I was supposed to be doing. I was used to far more traditional j/RPGs of the time, so starting in an arena without the 'normal' starting plot of RPGs, having to find your own way out or inevitably die in the arena, having no idea what half these races/classes were...

Felt like a supreme badass when I finally broke out despite not knowing what I was doing, the number of paths available was so cool. Then just sorta got lost wandering around the desert. Shame.

What did happen if you kept fighting in the arena? Did you eventually just get put against something that was literally impossible to defeat?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I don't think so. I just kept slaughtering my way through ever more fearsome monsters until it started looping. Half-giants basically have what felt like double damage and healing, so if you have two big-huge fighters you can basically slaughter most things that don't have an immunity to nonmagic weapons.

When you right click to change mouse cursor modes, some modes freeze time. I found that it was surprisingly easy to use that to line up opening attacks, and you can also scroll the screen to get enough advance warning to lay down battlefield control. Oh, and I think it is possible to half-complete the southern sneaky escape, kill the templar and take his magic sword without putting the whole place on alert. THAT means you can handle arena monsters immune to nonmagic.

With mildly exploitative tactics and a party with maxed starting stats, I usually found that it was possible to use the arena as a way to farm xp and money, until I was strong enough to go hard on my slave rebellion and kill all the guards. It always felt fantastic, not only are they jerks but each one has a different semi-random item when you loot them on top of the standard issue weapons+armor.

EDIT: Genie's Curse was also fantastic, but I was too dumb to solve some of the puzzles as a kid. Only managed to see the whole thing when I revisited it in my 20s. It was an action RPG, felt very much like D&D Zelda. The soundtrack was a bit cooler too, I liked the Arabian Nights chiptune mixes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSd5eRt00y0
EDIT 2: Oh man. I just found a Shattered Lands upload that uses the same soundcard I had back in the day. These tracks are just as cool as I remembered, it's great :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3_9LJFgIVk

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 8, 2022

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
On the same topic...

As a kid this game was completely baffling and fascinating to my friends and I. There's basically no real plot past the first cutscene beyond 'you're some adventurers, go kill stuff'. Nothing is explained. Everything is very poorly balanced, like how the low level darkness/entangle spells seemingly permanently disabled anything they hit, so you could wander over to the swamp, hit a dragon with it and get enormous amounts of xp. Half the high level spells tended to kill your party without warning, as well as anything else on the screen. I was very confused by 'Turn Undead', it had a cool green projectile but didn't do anything??? (now I know).
Incredibly dated and would probably be deeply unfun to play now, but for a young nerd it was amazing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

D&D in a nutshell

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Any time you have a game that tries to accurate replicate DnD rulebooks you either end up with magic barely better than a bow and arrow because the uses are limited by the imaginations of their creators or magic so overpowered that you question why you have these brutish barbarians in the first place.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dark Sun is notable for making me feel crazy when Baldur's Gate came out, because it felt like a direct spiritual successor to me, but I rarely saw any mention of it by anyone

victrix fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 9, 2022

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

victrix posted:

Dark Sun is notable for making me feel crazy when Baldur's Gate came out, because it felt like a direct spiritual successor to me, but I rarely saw any mention of it by anyone

Like, Baldur's Gate felt like a direct spiritual successor? Came out something like five years later from Dark Sun, I think it just happened to net a new group of people that had never gotten into the gold box rpgs or whatever engine that Al-Qadim and Dark Sun were made on from back in the day. Like, I was big into RPGs, and played those games (probably from some 56-games-in-1 CD I got from a store in China) but Baldur's Gate was just something fresh and way more player-friendly...or maybe I was just old enough to understand what was going on, that might've been it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

victrix posted:

As an outside who has played neither game (yeah, I know Baldurs Gate rules, but I didn't play it :shrug) I seriously thought they were from the same series and were directly related all this time, so you're not alone.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Any time you have a game that tries to accurate replicate DnD rulebooks you either end up with magic barely better than a bow and arrow because the uses are limited by the imaginations of their creators or magic so overpowered that you question why you have these brutish barbarians in the first place.

I liked having the barbarians, because casting Haste let them get 8 attacks per round instead of 4. Combined with AD&D letting you move in between swings, and you stood a decent chance of killing a whole camp of soldiers in one phase with your magically roided up ogre dervishes. Real monsters could still be scary, though.

The little paper clue books that came with the game made it quite clear that a sting from a wyvern could one-shot even a very scary adventurer without something to block poison. That was a pretty fun era for game guides, they told you most of what you'd need to know but still kept a bit of mystery to the game.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

First game that comes to mind for me is Bokida: Heartfelt reunion

At its core it's a minimal first-person puzzler (not entirely unlike Antichamber in some respects), but it's got an enormous, beautiful landscape to explore, and a very relaxed zen atmosphere that I really found enjoyable. Wander around, find hidden zen koans, peacefully solve gorgeous puzzles. Just lovely.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Razakai posted:

On the same topic...

As a kid this game was completely baffling and fascinating to my friends and I. There's basically no real plot past the first cutscene beyond 'you're some adventurers, go kill stuff'. Nothing is explained. Everything is very poorly balanced, like how the low level darkness/entangle spells seemingly permanently disabled anything they hit, so you could wander over to the swamp, hit a dragon with it and get enormous amounts of xp. Half the high level spells tended to kill your party without warning, as well as anything else on the screen. I was very confused by 'Turn Undead', it had a cool green projectile but didn't do anything??? (now I know).
Incredibly dated and would probably be deeply unfun to play now, but for a young nerd it was amazing.

Also had music by Frank Klepacki and a badass intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_wLv4Y-p2s

:edit:

I'd also like to add that this game ends with a Kaiju battle between a Wizard T-Rex and Cthulhu.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 12, 2022

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.
Man, I loved Dark Sun and played the absolute hell out of it on my old 486. I could never resist making 4 humans and dual classing them from gladiator, to psionic, to whatever final class i wanted (mage, thief, etc). Yes you could dual class twice for some reason, as long as the new class was one level higher than the other two. Using the arena to get 4 level 7/8/9 gladiator/psionic/whatever for unnecessarily powerful characters for a fairly short game was a bit excessive probably, but lots of fun. I also liked that different races had other advantages as they leveled, like the half-giants massive damage and hitpoints and the paralyze melee attack on the mantis dudes. The sequel was a buggy mess and needed expanded memory to run which I never could get to work back in the day. Played a bit of it from the gog version but it crashed constantly and I gave up.

As for a game I really enjoyed that was amazing but never really gets remembered much, I'd say Homeworld: Cataclysm (now renamed to Homeworld: Emergence) fits the bill. Kind of a side-quel rather than sequel, it took the Homeworld setting and gave it a complete rework from capital ships to tech trees to units. Unlike the original HW, you had two radically different factions rather than just a reskin of the same units which made multiplayer a lot more engaging. The story was a pretty decent bit of cosmic horror vs a small group of ordinary miners, rather than the grand fleet and majestic mothership of the original. Progressing from just a humble mining fleet to a full fledged war fleet to finally defeat an ancient space evil was pretty drat satisfying. Got a copy off GOG and still do a play through once a year or so.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I don't really have an effort-post in me at the moment, but there's this side-scrolling Metroid-ish game on the NES called Ghoul School that I was sure I'd hallucinated for maybe a decade.

It's about as creepy as the NES could get. You're a punk kid named Spike who's gone into his high school after dark to find that it's haunted, and that the head cheerleader you've got a crush on is somewhere inside. You run around fighting monsters, getting mad-science power-ups like spring boots, and dying repeatedly because you can't really regain health.

I finally beat it a few years ago via cheat codes on an emulator, and it's arguably worth the trip for the ending, where Spike is rejected instantly by the girl he's just rescued.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You have now.

I lucked into a copy about 20 years ago when my then-local video store was liquidating its Saturn inventory. It might be the rarest game in my home collection, but I've pulled it out to play multiplayer matches from time to time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wanderer posted:

It's about as creepy as the NES could get.

Haven't played Uninvited, I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-PykVUbgNQ

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Thinking about it, a second game that really got me when I was younger was Brave Fencer Musashi. I have no idea how popular it was outside of Japan, but I remember playing the hell out of it and seeing how many things it got right. Sucking abilities out of enemies to solve problems, a day-night cycle, running battles with bosses, and even things like collecting figurines a la later Resident Evil games. It was a pretty incredible game let down by some occasionally janky controls, especially in the timed steam tower sections that required tight jumps on a tight timer back before that was really possible.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

"It's thick sticky goo envelopes you"
Heh nice.
"It's acid!!!"
Aw nuts.

skeezx
Sep 15, 2022

CuddleCryptid posted:

Thinking about it, a second game that really got me when I was younger was Brave Fencer Musashi. I have no idea how popular it was outside of Japan, but I remember playing the hell out of it and seeing how many things it got right. Sucking abilities out of enemies to solve problems, a day-night cycle, running battles with bosses, and even things like collecting figurines a la later Resident Evil games. It was a pretty incredible game let down by some occasionally janky controls, especially in the timed steam tower sections that required tight jumps on a tight timer back before that was really possible.

good as the game was everybody bought it for the FFVIII demo

kind of a catch 22... in another scenario it could've been a thing

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I want to nominate a game I really enjoyed but it seems barely anyone bothered to play, A Pixel Story. It came out in early 2015 having won a number of indie awards while it was in development, from 2012 onwards, but it was seemingly ignored and forgotten almost immediately, and the development studio set up to produce it never made any other games. Seven years later it still only has 26 (mostly positive) reviews on Steam. I think the old rule of thumb is one review for every 100 purchases or so, so I'm guessing it probably only sold a few thousand copies.

It's a puzzle platformer, of the "die and repeat" variety where you expect to die several times while learning how to do the required trick. It's got a nifty mechanic in a magic hat that can be placed at any time, and then you can teleport back to it when needed, maintaining your momentum. It's quite nicely designed, the levels are expansive and varied, there are plenty of things to collect, the soundtrack is great, it's got a nice automapping system which lets you teleport to any checkpoint at will. It's main distinguishing feature is that the game starts off in an 8-bit graphics style, before "evolving" to 16-bit and then 32-bit style graphics. This was back in 2015 when that was still fairly novel. Even today, the game looks gorgeous in the later levels and is attractive in a retro way early on. The story is interesting, there's loads of good jokes and references. Each of the six levels adds a new mechanic, there are some fun intermission segments. It's overall just a really nicely designed game.

Unfortunately, the one area the game falls down in is that it feels fairly awkward to control until you get used to it, which can be off-putting for a game that often requires precision. That, and the game includes a bunch of (optional) challenge rooms to get all the collectables, and the first few of them are probably the most frustrating ones. I guess between that, the game starting off with its worst graphics, and the first area having probably the weakest theme in the soundtrack, just meant that most people gave up on it early on.

Still, I kind of love the game. I've completed it to 100% a couple of times and completed the main game a couple more. Unfortunately completing it to 100% gives you a pretty poo poo ending. It essentially undoes everything you've achieved in the game, laughs at you, and resets everything to scratch.

You can't even find the OST on Youtube. I think I've seen one let's play for the game. Nobody has bothered to speedrun it in years. Hell, maybe there is a way to get a better ending than I was able to - nobody ever posted a decent walkthrough video or guide for it, so I have no way of checking. I even tried contacting the devs back in 2016 and got no response. It seems to have just vanished entirely out of everyone's consciousness. But I still love it. I might even give it another play soon.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 23, 2022

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Got some games I can probably post about here when I'm not at work, but wanted to add about this one:

cheetah7071 posted:

GrimGrimoire

GrimGrimoire (stylized on the cover as GriMgRiMoiRe but like hell I'm typing that over and over) is an RTS without multiplayer exclusively for the PS2.
A remaster with the amazingly dumb title GrimGrimoire OnceMore was released in Japan for PS4 and Switch back in July, and is scheduled for a worldwide release including a PS5 version in Q2 of next year, so there's a good opportunity for people to give it a go incoming. As per Wikipedia: "The remaster included graphical enhancements for the new consoles, an art gallery, fast forward and mid-battle save options, adjustments to the Hard difficulty setting, gameplay expansions through the incorporation of skill trees for Familiars and powerful magical attacks, and a new voice cast." I'll be picking that up for Switch when it drops, never ended up playing it on PS2.

(I'm also hoping the Vanillaware remaster train will eventually reach Princess Crown)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Princess Crown got a PS4 port as a preorder bonus for 13 Sentinels but only in Japan. As far as I'm aware it was a barebones straight port of the original with no changes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Sakurazuka posted:

but only in Japan
Yeah, that's the story of Princess Crown. Original 1997 Saturn version, only released in Japan. 2005 PSP port, only released in Japan. 2020 PS4 port, only released in Japan.

A fan translation of the Saturn game has been in the works for something like a decade and is still confirmed active, so that's what I'm putting most of my hopes in.