Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

There was a very rare sequel to Bomberman 64 called The Second Attack that hardly anyone has played or even knows about despite its predecessor's relative fame. It improves upon the first in basically every way with branching story paths, an extremely rad elemental stone system that let you use all sorts different elemental bombs, and a surprisingly heady plot full of like, biblical allegories and poo poo.
The real standout part is the soundtrack though which is somehow even better than the original's and is legitimately one of the best soundtracks to any game I've ever played. There's a scene late in the game where the incarnation of God suddenly heel-turns on you for your elemental stones and the music is timed in such a way that the song fully kicks in just exactly when they make their declaration; I was actually amazed that Bomberman of all things was actually wow-ing me with its story and composition :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I owned it and had no idea at the time it was super rare lol

It was fun in coop but the multiplayer was more or less standard Bomberman again so I didn't like it as much. You could buy items from the cowboy prospector's store, including the literal clothes off his back

The price has gone down a bit after they printed some reproduction carts a few years ago, but even now it's still a good couple hundo on ebay. I manage to snag mine back in 2010 for $40 right before the price shot up :laugh:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yatsunori Mitsuda (the Chrono Trigger guy) did the music, in case you didn't know.

The story of that game was directed by Naoki Yoshida aka Yoshi-P, the FFXIV dude, and there's apparently references to that Bomberman story stashed away in some dungeon somewhere.

Well this explains a loving lot about the abnormally high quality of the game :lol:
There was a whole squad of other excellent composers who worked on it too but I didn't know it was that Mitsuda hidden away in there, and that Naoki Yoshida who wrote it :stare:

victrix posted:

Wait, what the gently caress?

edit: what the gently caress?

Yeah my sentiments exactly. I wonder what the hell dungeon has the secret references in it?

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 4, 2022