Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Regular visitors of the Coupons & Deals Movie Nite thread know that we've been pitching our upcoming award show for a while now, but with showtime just weeks away we need to get into production mode! There's a lot of work to do between now and March 27, when we'll party together watching our awards right after the Academy Awards! It's gonna be great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF41HS0B0t8

The gist (in case you're new here)

Here in BYOB we have a twice-a-week movie night together, where we sync youtube in our Cytu.be channel and enjoy/lampoon them together in text chat. During 2021 we watched about 100 films together, and are nominating and voting on our favorites, to give ridiculous joke awards to, with an outrageous ceremony and even some starpower in the mix. And did somebody say dancing crabs???

Uh... no, but starpower sounds interesting

The famous host of the Coupons & Deals Movie Nite Awards will be chosen based off of how much funding we raise to pay them with. Heather Papps has more about the candidates here.

:siren:Currently we have raised $500 US which is our dream budget! Thank you to everyone who donated, wow!!!

You can donate directly here. This is now the preferred method of funding this year's (airing in 2022) award show, as we have passed the deadline for merch sales. You can still get Coupon Crab merchandise here, but all proceeds will go to purchase forums ads for regular Coupons & Deals Movie Nite in the summer of 2022.

How else can I help?

Right now we are finalizing the award categories so that official voting can begin, which you can help with over here in the Movie Nite thread, but the production machine is going to need to gear up quickly in the next few weeks:

We still need all kinds of help coming up, including:

-Singers
-Musicians
-Puppeteers
-Animators
-Editors

If you're interested please post ITT, even a few donated hours of your time can make a huge difference!

In this thread, we will show the behind-the-scenes action as we prepare this momentous show. You can build a sea-creature puppet and join the audience, help us sing the big musical number, or just tell your friends to join us on March 27th to celebrate this unique time in movie history. However you became involved in this mess, welcome! Let's make the Coupons & Deals Movie Nite Awards a jest for the forums history books!

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

OKAY! you may be wondering why we are even raising money, and the answer is very stupid and a joke. we came up with the idea of having celebrity hosts for the award ceremoney, and cameo is fairly cheap, so here we are.

for a minor fee we can have a cute duck!

slightly more for a forecast of choclate rain

or an exhausted elderly man in the hall!

if we had infinite funds there are people like mr chong himself (cheech is currently unavail)

we (BFM and i) have really loved movie nites. this past pandemic period, speaking for myself, has been pretty rough. having a scheduled goof off night twice a week has been very helpful in navigating these uncharted waters, and we would love to commemorate this stupid thing that we love in as an elaborate a way as possible. doing an awards show with some legitimately famous guests is the way we've landed on doing that, and we hope ya'll think the idea is as funny as we do.

uh thanks. i'm done editing this post so i can read the op for real now love you goodbye.

Heather Papps fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 2, 2022

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Oh man, this is so cool! I can confidently say that I've never been a part of anything quite like BYOB movie night (in a good way). It's clear that HP's and BFM's passion and talent as hosts shines through every Wednesday and Saturday.

For the past few months, I keep making up a cart of Coupon Crab merch, then canceling my cart due to indecisiveness, haha. I'll put in my order soon.

I'd definitely be willing to help out, starting when I have some free time, which'll be next week at the earliest.

My talents:
-Singer 6/10
-Musician 6/10
-Puppeteer 0/10
-Animator 2/10
-Editor 1/10

e: I tend to do acoustic music: piano, accordion, trumpet, and voice. I also have dabbled in synthesized drums and bass, to make a "whole jazz band" track or two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pu01Kmf35U

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 2, 2022

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

BoldFrankensteinMir

blaise rascal posted:

Oh man, this is so cool! I can confidently say that I've never been a part of anything quite like BYOB movie night (in a good way). It's clear that HP's and BFM's passion and talent as hosts shines through every Wednesday and Saturday.

For the past few months, I keep making up a cart of Coupon Crab merch, then canceling my cart due to indecisiveness, haha. I'll put in my order soon.

I'd definitely be willing to help out, starting when I have some free time, which'll be next week at the earliest.

My talents:
-Singer 6/10
-Musician 6/10
-Puppeteer 0/10
-Animator 2/10
-Editor 1/10

e: I tend to do acoustic music: piano, accordion, trumpet, and voice. I also have dabbled in synthesized drums and bass, to make a "whole jazz band" track or two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pu01Kmf35U

Awesome! Thank you so much, I'm psyched to work with you Blaise, your work is great.

Let's start with, what do you want to contribute? My most immediate tasks all involve the big opening musical number, which I will have a post with more about in a little bit here and which will definitely require help, but there's also gonna be room for other musical numbers, short films, bits of animation, really anything. Awards shows are just crammed with stuff, so if you have any ideas, we're still formulating what the finished product will look like.

This is gonna be great! I totally second HP's sentiment that I love Movie Nites and am eager to celebrate them with y'all.

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

I'm wondering what blender-related stuff might be helpful to contribute (if any). I could, for example, work on backgrounds for things (musical numbers or otherwise). animation is a pretty big collection of individual skills, many of which I don't have, but I could certainly contribute some technical knowledge/execution when it comes to animated things.

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Manifisto posted:

I'm wondering what blender-related stuff might be helpful to contribute (if any). I could, for example, work on backgrounds for things (musical numbers or otherwise). animation is a pretty big collection of individual skills, many of which I don't have, but I could certainly contribute some technical knowledge/execution when it comes to animated things.

I was thinking about it and first of all, thank you so much for offering to help! One animated element I was thinking of which is, relatively, simpler to do is a title card. I have a simple title card up there at the top of the thread but a real one, like an impressive 3d, gleaming, zooming type ridiculous title screen could be pretty fun.

We could have multiple different ones in multiple styles, imagine every time we come back from a commercial break it's the Coupons & Deals Movie Nite Awards in a different animated style. If we have time or lots of hands to really do it up.

And, there's a possibility for an animated skit that I'm just now starting to get together, it would involve Teen Witch and Fleta McGurn doing a red carpet show where they make fun of clothes from the movies. I'm gonna record their audio in early March so it can't be too ornate, but I'm betting it'll be funny enough to warrant a cool puppet/animation/something treatment.

But just like I said before, what's really important is what you want to do. We can make this award show anything we want!

More info inbound, I'm at about 200 kiloKermits of show-building excitement and climbing!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Big opening musical number update!

A lot has changed since I wrote the first draft of the opening song; almost everything really, other than the basic idea of a song and dance about movie nite. I'm still building back-up dancer crab puppets and a curtained stage, but the song and the dance themselves are totally different in this second draft.

The breakthrough came in realizing it would be funnier and easier to have the back-up dancer crabs doing the Can-Can with fishnet stockings on than a full-on Vegas showgirls type thing. I'm going to get a bunch of black fishnet gloves and ruffled skirt material and little feathers to really do the costumes right, and will puppeteer them dancing to the classic music everyone associates with that dance. The real name of the piece is Galop Infernal from Offenbach's Orpheus in the Underworld, an 1850's opera you've definitely heard parodied a million times before. I like how cheesy it is, as well as the cool story of how the opera was made as a parody of an earlier opera, and then this one piece of music from it became something else entirely when Can-Can dancing co-opted it.

I was also inspired by this scene from the 1960 film Can-Can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pQoVHckq_Y

I'm digging this direction much more, and I think even the first steps are going to be easier to record now- everybody knows the Can-Can song, essentially. I'm thinking of using a public domain recording from Archive as the backing, I'll record myself singing the song and then other people can record themselves over that in layers? And if we do it right we can, conceivably, swap that music out later for an original version we record ourselves, should that be a possibility.

So that's where we're at on the opening musical number! I'll post some photos once I start sewing up puppets. And anybody interested in singing a silly parody song with me, please step forward, the more voices we get the better!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Little update- we moved back the deadline for picking categories, so now voting on the actual movies will begin tomorrow, the 12th. And on the budgetary side, we've almost raised enough to have Dunkin Ducks record all 7 segments!

Be sure to stop by during the 12-hour Valentine's Day marathon, and don't forget to vote over in the movie nite thread!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Big musical number update: the backup dancer crab puppets are complete!

Red gloves and matching polar fleece and a paper pattern measured from Coupon Crab's head:

We made more than just these two, but you'll have to wait to see the other puppets, they're not quite done yet.

Some comparison shopping found us the right eyes that look like Coupon Crab's, but have multiple glittery colors to choose from. They're meant for teddy bears I think.

Crinkly black paper scraps for eyelashes, costume black net gloves for hose and skirts and a few shells and bits of lace make a pretty good can-can crab, I think!

Originally the plan was to make 4 but it got cut back to 2, and we made one left-handed. That's a funnier presentation, honestly, it plays on the subconscious recognition of the hand shapes (and left more materials for two more crabs we'll meet tomorrow!)

The award show is set for the 27th of March, only a few weeks away! More soon!

Sig by Heather Papps

biosterous

inquiring mind(s) would like to know: where does that QR code go???

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

BoldFrankensteinMir

biosterous posted:

inquiring mind(s) would like to know: where does that QR code go???

Good question! They go to the Paypal Donation link, where you can still donate to help us hire more special guests to present the award!

And on that note, here's another behind-the-scenes tidbit: the budget! Or, A budget. I should explain.

So far we've only raised 126 dollars to pay the hosts but I have a dream budget I'm going for, where we get to use all our hosts (and a new one, more on that in a moment) and have a complete, ridiculous, full size award show. It would cost about 500 US dollars and it breaks down like this:

---

Host- Kevin McDonald, 3 segments $192

Guest 1 (Coolest Animal) Dunkin Ducks, 1 segment $19

Guest 2 (Rowdiest fight scene) ???

Guest 3 (Best Original Song) Tay Zonday, 1 segment $44

Guest 4 (Sen. Joseph McCarthy Award for Excellence in Unamerican Thought) Bigfoot, 1 segment, $0

Guest 5 (Biggest "Wow Actually This is Rad" Surpriser Award) Tommy Chong, 1 segment, $191

Total
446 dollars
(plus 1 additional host)

----

Other than the missing piece of a Rowdiest Fight Scene presenter, I think this is a very natural way to present these stars and these awards. The gag-prize, Unamerican Thought, will be a goon in the woods shot blurry as a joke, and the top prize will be an actual house-hold name. And we get a Kid in the Hall as our host for three whole segments! It's a hell of a lot of entertainment for probably about 500 dollars, depending on who the last presenter is.

Everything else, the musical numbers and red-carpet fashion show and all the effects and extras are being donated by cool and awesome goons, we just need money to get these cameo stars to show up, so please if you can afford to support the silliest of the arts, donate now to help make this crazy cool thing a reality. To help us put a positive cap on our memories of this era stuck at home watching movies on the forums! :munch:

Edit- OP has been updated with a new donation! Thank you!

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 3, 2022

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

I've offered to pitch in for the awards, and BFM has invited me to contribute some 3d stuff, including some crowd reaction shots. I'm just starting to assemble the various assets (and in the process learning a bunch of stuff) but at BFM's encouragement I'm posting some preliminary work in progress.

Here's a short animation of the empty theater:

https://gfycat.com/portlyhiddenindochinahogdeer.webm

I've also been starting to work up crowd members, here's a lil animation of what I've got so far:

https://i.imgur.com/w5tkNH0.webm

still a whole bunch to do, but I'm plugging away at it!

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Freaking amazing work, Mani! Thank you for helping make this even more special, I am so excited!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Big thanks to the incredible Teen Witch and Fleta McGurn for recording the red carpet pre-show today! I'm off to editing with the raw audio but in the meantime here's a sneak peek of our fashionista crustacean reporters, Batsy and Boom-Boom!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

We have a new, updated production schedule!

The next two weeks are jam-packed, so I'll be reaching out to possible volunteers- there's lots of ways people can still help. More soon!

Sig by Heather Papps

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Guest 2 (Rowdiest fight scene) ???

it is once again time for me to look at all the pro wrestlers on cameo

blaise rascal

Big musical number update: the backup dancer crab puppets are complete!

Red gloves and matching polar fleece and a paper pattern measured from Coupon Crab's head:

We made more than just these two, but you'll have to wait to see the other puppets, they're not quite done yet.

Some comparison shopping found us the right eyes that look like Coupon Crab's, but have multiple glittery colors to choose from. They're meant for teddy bears I think.

Crinkly black paper scraps for eyelashes, costume black net gloves for hose and skirts and a few shells and bits of lace make a pretty good can-can crab, I think!

Originally the plan was to make 4 but it got cut back to 2, and we made one left-handed. That's a funnier presentation, honestly, it plays on the subconscious recognition of the hand shapes (and left more materials for two more crabs we'll meet tomorrow!)

The award show is set for the 27th of March, only a few weeks away! More soon!
omg, just saw this post. beyond excited for march 27th!

BoldFrankensteinMir

I have some sad news, friends. Kevin McDonald has officially declined to host the award show via Cameo. So, now we gotta find a new potential host, and we gotta be quick because the awards are only a week away!

Sig by Heather Papps

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I vote for the duck! or an actual crab!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Buttchocks posted:

I vote for the duck! or an actual crab!

Don't worry Munchkin's cameo is still "in progress" according to the site. Hosting is asking a little much of a speechless being (their page explains very politely that no, the duck can not talk) but presenting the Coolest Animal Award should work!

Our next hope for host is Maria Bamford, who honestly now that I think about it is an even better fit. Fingers crossed!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Yes!!! All the celebrity cameos are in and they are jaw-droppingly cool. Thank you again to everyone who donated to make this possible, we're gonna see something really special on the 27th!

Sig by Heather Papps

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
What time is this happening??

Manifisto

Bright Bart posted:

What time is this happening??

7pm eastern is the time posted in the discord event

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Yeah usual showtime just on a sunday, PM pst 7pm est.

Sorry I haven't been here I've been in full Kermit mode getting the show together. It's gonna be a night to remember!

Sig by Heather Papps

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

blaise rascal

BoldFrankensteinMir

It came out great everyone, thank you all so so much!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toCB4qFnW_g

Sig by Heather Papps

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Sorry I was too tired to watch.

Did anyone go broke with their bets?

Heather Papps

hello friend

bump

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Is there help needed this year?

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

BoldFrankensteinMir

Viginti Septem posted:

Is there help needed this year?

Yes! I see you're already in the categories and voting thread, that's our first priority, but after that we need to pick a host and presenters at Cameo. HP and I have some ideas already just like with categories, but I agree that I'd like to know people's uninfluenced ideas first. And if you really want someone expensive, you can always donate...

Right now our budget is just short of 200 bucks, we're working on a proper budget outline but last year's cost around 850 altogether by the end.

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

Yes! I see you're already in the categories and voting thread, that's our first priority, but after that we need to pick a host and presenters at Cameo. HP and I have some ideas already just like with categories, but I agree that I'd like to know people's uninfluenced ideas first. And if you really want someone expensive, you can always donate...

Right now our budget is just short of 200 bucks, we're working on a proper budget outline but last year's cost around 850 altogether by the end.

wasn't there something where you could potentially use a piano accompaniment? I am not a keyboard player myself, but if there's someone who's good at it they could perhaps lend a hand, unless it's something prerecorded you were primarily after.

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Manifisto posted:

wasn't there something where you could potentially use a piano accompaniment? I am not a keyboard player myself, but if there's someone who's good at it they could perhaps lend a hand, unless it's something prerecorded you were primarily after.

Ah yes, thank you for reminding me! I'm doing another song and dance for the opening with Coupon Crab, and I DO have a lead on some accompaniment (it's gonna involve a new character, oooooh) BUT, all assistance is welcome!

If anybody wants part of making a musical act for the awards, or even just has an idea for one, we could have as many as 4 or 5 in there if we wanted. It could even be as easy as composing a piece of music that I'll find a puppet dance to work with. If anybody's interested let me know!

Sig by Heather Papps

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

Oh, good!

I did drop some money into the account last night, what I could afford. If there's any video or graphics stuff you need let me know too. Like bumps or fake production company creds or whatever. I can animate to music in fancy ways.

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

BoldFrankensteinMir

Viginti Septem posted:

Oh, good!

I did drop some money into the account last night, what I could afford. If there's any video or graphics stuff you need let me know too. Like bumps or fake production company creds or whatever. I can animate to music in fancy ways.

Thank you very much!!! Animated bumps would be pretty fun honestly, we need to pick a date so we can start advertising. Really the entire C&D Movie Nite Youtube Channel is about collecting tiny interstitial stuff I can pepper movies and shorts with, so even tiny fragments are cool.

Here are some branding elements if you want (not at all necessary but we got 'em), I can also produce custom puppet footage on black or chroma if you prefer it.

The only caveat to making videos for the Coupon Crab stockpile is we have viewers all over so WatanNetwork is a useful tool to check restrictions on media, especially music rights. I recommend using archive.org's audio section (and if a license calls for attribution we can do that in our credits) but if you have another piece of music you really want, we can check it for copyright strike by publishing an audio track on private, checking it and then nuking it.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 24, 2023

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

Animated bumps would be pretty fun honestly,

speaking of bumps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ACB33_Slbc

music by plant monster, video by yours truly

to celebrate Outbreak Month, and the queasy music featured on many of the soundtracks

also "Queasiest Soundtrack" could be a category!

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Manifisto posted:

speaking of bumps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ACB33_Slbc

music by plant monster, video by yours truly

to celebrate Outbreak Month, and the queasy music featured on many of the soundtracks

also "Queasiest Soundtrack" could be a category!

Oh yeah! We used this as a stinger for last year's awards and I intended to do so again, but yeah let's make this a little ad of its own!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Hey everybody just a little update, currently we are sitting at $246 US for our award show budget, but there are still auctions up for bid in the BYOB auction house, merch in the Coupons & Deals Movie Nite store, and a live Paypal donation link, so we're still on our way. But let's talk about what we're gonna do with that money!

The whole gimmick of our awards is using Cameo to hire celebrities to do silly presentations that I then cut together in Blender with crab puppets and public domain brass bands- it weirdly works! Because the host has two segments (and should be a namey-kinda-name, at least to us) they were, in the past, the most expensive part. Last year we were very fortunate to get the fabulous Mz Maria Bamford to host but, as she is not currently available, HP and I looked through the various possibilities. One name we came up with that we liked was Joel McHale, but at $275 dollars US a video that means we'd need $550 just for him, and that leaves 4 more slots to fill. So, perhaps not. We are open to suggestions.

Any ideas for categories for the awards should go in this thread: I hope to get all that info decided soon so we can move on to other components that require it, like the red carpet special, and the voting. I would really like to make this thing and show it in the month of March because this is the time of year I can afford to take a lot of time off from work: if we push back any more I'm not going to be able to and that would be really frustrating.

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Update- Our budget has increased to $326 US! Unfortunately March is quickly vanishing and we still don't have categories or anything, please check out that thread and help us pick!

Sig by Heather Papps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

A sneak peek behind the scenes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uheu3svFkzM

Sig by Heather Papps