Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

precision posted:

british humor peaked with monty pyton

im not actually kidding, i think... most modern mainstream british humor is SO BAD U GUYS

like you think america is a land of uncultured swine... oh jesus just u wait buddy... just turn on channel 4

pretty sure all the monty python guys have themselves been canceled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Gervais thinks he's way cooler and more controversial than he actually is. Look, just being consistently contradictory doesn't make you funny or smart. And his smug "Aw yeah? I offend you yeah? Yeah? Is it all offensive when I said there's no God, yeah? Is that offensive yeah?" just shuuuuuut uuuuup and pull your head out of your own rear end, Rick.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

This is that guy from GTA4 right?

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Idiot Abroad is the only thing I've seen that involved Ricky Gervais that was genuinely funny and worth seeing. It's a decent idea and Carl's comments and weird observations really stuck with you. Gervais himself should've just stuck to running it instead of taking part because he came off as a real rear end in a top hat every time he was on screen.

The other guy, whatever-his-name-is, was completely unwatchable. Were they intentionally going for the whole "Okay, Ricky is the bully, Carl is his victim, and this other guy is Ricky's worthless ratfuck tagalong assistant bully" vibe???

Extras was legit good

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzXW9XagyBg

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Nooner posted:

I wish he would rickey gerviLESS

:kiss:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Sophy Wackles posted:

Michael Palin is still a good dude, right?

...right? :ohdear:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

HA HA HA do i make you RANDY maybe? yeah

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

verbal enema posted:

i like still game

still game is great and so is the other show those two did that i cant remember the name of

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

precision posted:

im not actually kidding, i think... most modern mainstream british humor is SO BAD U GUYS

like you think america is a land of uncultured swine... oh jesus just u wait buddy... just turn on channel 4

I enjoy Taskmaster.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

SatansOnion posted:

Michael Palin is still a good dude, right?

...right? :ohdear:

The same Michael Palin that starred in a travel show where he explored popular sex tourism locations in south east asia called Full Circle with Michael Palin? That Michael Palin?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
more like ricky gervaisn't

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sophy Wackles posted:

maybe so. maybe so.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

how high pitched can you laugh? how high? is it louder than me? *CLAP CLAP CLAP LAUGH* hahahaha didn't think so you pinko baby

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
“I want to get cancelled! Not really, because I want another standup tour and another series of my TV show. But I want everyone to report that I’ve been cancelled! Please don’t actually cancel me though I need money and attention”

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Idiot Abroad is the only thing I've seen that involved Ricky Gervais that was genuinely funny and worth seeing. It's a decent idea and Carl's comments and weird observations really stuck with you. Gervais himself should've just stuck to running it instead of taking part because he came off as a real rear end in a top hat every time he was on screen.

The other guy, whatever-his-name-is, was completely unwatchable. Were they intentionally going for the whole "Okay, Ricky is the bully, Carl is his victim, and this other guy is Ricky's worthless ratfuck tagalong assistant bully" vibe???

Yep Idiot Abroad was good and at its best when Karl was doing his own thing. Honestly forgot Gervais was involved

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

beer gas canister posted:

Yep Idiot Abroad was good and at its best when Karl was doing his own thing. Honestly forgot Gervais was involved

The best Idiot Abroads were when Karl was enjoying himself in spite of Gervais. Being buried, getting Amish jarred peas, and hanging with the redneck prospector were great.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
didnt it used to be that young people were controversial and radical but now we got 60 year olds trying to do it instead?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've seen like 4 different standup specials in the last 2 years where some lovely comedian has a big lead up to a segment where they say they're going to say things that will get them cancelled, then when you finally get there it's just some tired old dead baby jokes or whatever, showing that they have no idea what "cancelled" means and they think it just means "has humor too dark for people to handle". I expect nothing different out of ricky gervais.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 2, 2022

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Das Boo posted:

The best Idiot Abroads were when Karl was enjoying himself in spite of Gervais. Being buried, getting Amish jarred peas, and hanging with the redneck prospector were great.

the weirdest thing about idiot abroad was that it apparently was borne from The Ricky Gervais Podcast which is the least listenable podcast I've ever tried to listen to. It is straight up noise, even after you forgive the fact that it is a grating, awful podcast - no jokes, no humor, no structure, just noise. it's a primitive piece of poo poo, like a caveman poo poo some archeologist is picking apart with a toothbrush and a magnifying glass.

pilkington is legit funny.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dear Ricky Gervais

If you really want to get cancelled all you need to do is earn the nickname Sticky Gervais

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Perhaps the controversy is that we as a society are so depraved that we would broadcast a man dying while an audience cheers him on.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Das Boo posted:

Perhaps the controversy is that we as a society are so depraved that we would broadcast a man dying while an audience cheers him on.

the guy from 30 Seconds to Mars made a french art movie about that where he's the last mortal man on earth after they invent immortality and they broadcast his death to the entire world while interviewing him about his life and even tho it's cool it's kinda just like a weird thematic retelling of The Unbearable Lightness of Being

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpi0qsp3v_w

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 2, 2022

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

sometimes i confuse ricky gervais and louis ck. this is probably bad for gervais reputation.

although if gervais really wants to get canceled they may want to collab

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

deep dish peat moss posted:

the guy from 30 Seconds to Mars made a french art movie about that where he's the last mortal man on earth after they invent immortality and they broadcast his death to the entire world while interviewing him about his life and even tho it's cool it's kinda just like a weird retelling of The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Sounds gay

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

the guy from 30 Seconds to Mars made a french art movie about that where he's the last mortal man on earth after they invent immortality and they broadcast his death to the entire world while interviewing him about his life and even tho it's cool it's kinda just like a weird retelling of The Unbearable Lightness of Being

How the poo poo is that child also Cillian Murphy?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Has Louie CK done anything since he got cancelled? His career is pretty much dead now right?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Smugworth posted:

I see you've heard his old podcast

:lol: yep nailed it

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Has Louie CK done anything since he got cancelled? His career is pretty much dead now right?

Pretty sure he's touring again. He probably isn't going to get any more comedy specials on HBO though.

E:

Jabberlock posted:

watch it be tepid, inoffensive, and forgettable

This. Gervais is good at being a dick but I don't think he really has his heart in it.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 2, 2022

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

ehhhhhh it peaked 2000-2010 and then nosedived into the loving floor so fast the only thing deader is the economy

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

Louis ck is set to tour Ukraine this month which sounds like a great idea

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

The best Ricky Gervais thing is the old XFM radio shows from the early 2000s. Its basically just the podcast but not forced. Also because its such a raw unedited thing he actually loses from time to time. Hes still a dickhead on it but Karl and Steve actually have a fighting chance against him because he isn’t able to do another take or go back edit the tapes to make himself look like the winner.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Louis ck is set to tour Ukraine this month which sounds like a great idea

lmao

That's awesome, maybe he can go tour Yemen afterwards

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What even is "modern english comedy"? Are there any good examples?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

the guy from 30 Seconds to Mars made a french art movie about that where he's the last mortal man on earth after they invent immortality and they broadcast his death to the entire world while interviewing him about his life and even tho it's cool it's kinda just like a weird thematic retelling of The Unbearable Lightness of Being

There's a great old Billy Wilder movie, Ace in the Hole, about a journalist taking advantage of the publicity surrounding a man trapped in a cave-in that is as cynical and relevant now as when it came out like 70 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Gsv5p5GdY

also no ricky gervais thread is complete without some new wave ricky pics

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Zzulu posted:

What even is "modern english comedy"? Are there any good examples?

IT Crowd / Father Ted by Graham Linehan are both really loving funny but apparently that guy got canceled too lol

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
unless he goes full revolutionary marxist it's gonna be the same boring garbo

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

The best British comedy is Bottom

The best modern one is uhhhh fleabag maybe? It’s just upmarket Miranda though
e: actually peep show depending on what you count as modern, seeing as it ended 7 years ago

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 2, 2022

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sophy Wackles posted:

Michael Palin is far too nice to be cancelled, and sadly Graham Chapman and Terry Jones are far too dead.

Nobody knows whether or not Eric Idle and Terry Gilliam are cancelled. Their proximity to John Cleese (extremely cancelled) makes their cancelledness, or lack thereof, unobservable, at least through any methods currently known to science.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

no pubes yet sorry posted:

IT Crowd / Father Ted by Graham Linehan are both really loving funny but apparently that guy got canceled too lol

Father Ted is like 25 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
hes going to say the n word