Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Father Ted is like 25 years old

eh well The Great British Empire is 1000's of years old and both of those shows are irish so I think it is time to get involved in a war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Are there actually any comedians who have been cancelled for their routines? Cosby, Louis and Aziz got in poo poo for being sex pests offstage. Michael Richards got angry at a heckler and started throwing slurs.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

free hubcaps posted:

There's a great old Billy Wilder movie, Ace in the Hole, about a journalist taking advantage of the publicity surrounding a man trapped in a cave-in that is as cynical and relevant now as when it came out like 70 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Gsv5p5GdY

also no ricky gervais thread is complete without some new wave ricky pics

Lmao

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Are there actually any comedians who have been cancelled for their routines? Cosby, Louis and Aziz got in poo poo for being sex pests offstage. Michael Richards got angry at a heckler and started throwing slurs.

Richard Pryor was a crazy crack smoking nut and he got away with a lot, i'd guess because he was funny and cutting edge.

quote:

When his third, breakthrough album, That friend of the family's Crazy (1974), was released, Laff, which claimed ownership of Pryor's recording rights, almost succeeded in getting an injunction to prevent the album from being sold. Negotiations led to Pryor's release from his Laff contract. In return for this concession, Laff was enabled to release previously unissued material, recorded between 1968 and 1973, at will. That friend of the family's Crazy was a commercial and critical success; it was eventually certified gold by the RIAA[14] and won the Grammy Award for Best Comedy Album at the 1975 Grammy Awards.

Pryor performing in 1974
During the legal battle, Stax briefly closed its doors. At this time, Pryor returned to Reprise/Warner Bros. Records, which re-released That friend of the family's Crazy, immediately after ...Is It Something I Said?, his first album with his new label. Like That friend of the family's Crazy, the album was a hit with both critics and fans; it was eventually certified platinum by the RIAA and won the Grammy Award for Best Comedy Recording at the 1976 Grammy Awards.

Pryor's 1976 release Bicentennial friend of the family continued his streak of success. It became his third consecutive gold album, and he collected his third consecutive Grammy for Best Comedy Recording for the album in 1977. With every successful album Pryor recorded for Warner (or later, his concert films and his 1980 freebasing accident), Laff quickly published an album of older material to capitalize on Pryor's growing fame—a practice they continued until 1983. The covers of Laff albums tied in thematically with Pryor movies, such as Are You Serious? for Silver Streak (1976), The Wizard of Comedy for his appearance in The Wiz (1978), and Insane for Stir Crazy (1980).[15]

quote:

Late in the evening of June 9, 1980, Pryor poured 151-proof rum all over himself and lit himself on fire.[81][21] The Los Angeles police reported he was burned by an explosion while freebasing cocaine.[20] Pryor claimed his injuries were caused by burning rum.[82] While ablaze, he ran down Parthenia Street from his Los Angeles home, until being subdued by police. He was taken to a hospital, where he was treated for second- and third-degree burns covering more than half of his body.[83] Pryor spent six weeks in recovery at the Grossman Burn Center at Sherman Oaks Hospital.[84] His daughter Rain stated that the incident happened as a result of a bout of drug-induced psychosis.[85]

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Peep show is good if you want a non-panel show British comedy.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

no pubes yet sorry posted:

the weirdest thing about idiot abroad was that it apparently was borne from The Ricky Gervais Podcast which is the least listenable podcast I've ever tried to listen to. It is straight up noise, even after you forgive the fact that it is a grating, awful podcast - no jokes, no humor, no structure, just noise. it's a primitive piece of poo poo, like a caveman poo poo some archeologist is picking apart with a toothbrush and a magnifying glass.

pilkington is legit funny.

Seeing as it spawned a popular TV show and is one of the most successful podcasts ever.. Is it possible it's good, you just don't like it? I think racing games are idiocit all the same nonsense, but clearly that's just me.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Life's Too Short was good, but mainly because Warwick Davis owns. Ricky was a poo poo, but Steven Merchant was funny in his cameos.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I sort of liked An Idiot Abroad but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Pilkington got to travel the world and see things the rest of us will likely never be lucky enought to. But 90% of the time it seemed he'd be just as happy sitting in his local pub with a pint of bad lager and pack of monster munch.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Extra row of tits posted:

Seeing as it spawned a popular TV show and is one of the most successful podcasts ever.. Is it possible it's good, you just don't like it? I think racing games are idiocit all the same nonsense, but clearly that's just me.

yeah not making GBS threads on anyone's parade - it has its moments. i liked it enough at the time but in retrospect and upon relistening it is a mess.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Valko posted:

I sort of liked An Idiot Abroad but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Pilkington got to travel the world and see things the rest of us will likely never be lucky enought to. But 90% of the time it seemed he'd be just as happy sitting in his local pub with a pint of bad lager and pack of monster munch.

Thats why its funny. Are you jealous of Pilkington lmao?

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

Thats why its funny. Are you jealous of Pilkington lmao?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The best thing about the idiot abroad is that Pilkington just says out loud a lot of poo poo people just keep under their hat on vacation/holidays because they've put pressure on themselves to have a good time. Travelling can suck, be exhausting and underwhelming, make you sick, uncomfortable, etc.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
This is a spicy hot take but Ricky Gervais is an unfunny douchbag overstayed his welcome for like 15 years. Everything he does or says have "I'm an atheist, debate me" vibes and are like so 2008.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Galewolf posted:

This is a spicy hot take but Ricky Gervais is an unfunny douchbag overstayed his welcome for like 15 years. Everything he does or says have "I'm an atheist, debate me" vibes and are like so 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPrek1oAjG0

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Carl is legitimately both hilarious and interesting. Introducing him to the world was Ricky's purpose in life. He needs to go away now.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Poohs Packin posted:

The best thing about the idiot abroad is that Pilkington just says out loud a lot of poo poo people just keep under their hat on vacation/holidays because they've put pressure on themselves to have a good time. Travelling can suck, be exhausting and underwhelming, make you sick, uncomfortable, etc.

They did deliberately book him in awful hotels and annoying activities quite a lot to be fair. But he’s right. A lot of the stuff you see travelling is just a bit crap and then you get diarrhoea.

Travels with my Father clearly tried to cash in on the format but it’s so blatantly scripted and they’re both so unbearably posh and spoiled that it’s not enjoyable

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Travels with my Father is just...boring. Doubly so when you live in Ingerland / London and get exposed to posh people in person. I like Jack Whitehall because he's like basic and doesn't have a ultimate goal of huffing his own farts , man's just want to make money and do coke with models / actresses which he'd probably done anyway even if he wasn't famous.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

graham norton is very quick witted and makes me laugh but he's technically Irish i guess

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Sophy Wackles posted:

pretty sure all the monty python guys have themselves been canceled.

I know nothing about Monty python but I’m going to guess it’s for pedophillia because they are British celebrities.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

graham norton is very quick witted and makes me laugh but he's technically Irish i guess

Dylan Moran is p.cool and funny as well but he was an alcoholic Irish guy which is basically cheating when it comes to being funny and entertaining. I read that now that he's sober for some years now, his new standup is not that entertaining (haven't watched it yet, might be just internet being internet) but holy hell he gets a forever pass from me for Black Books alone.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

when will british people realize that their strength is not in comedy, but in reading books on tape or narrating things. their dusty old book vibe is perfect for those things, not stand up comedy tho.

Gregoire
Feb 3, 2014
David Brent is one of the most insufferable yet tormented yet loveable characters in tv history. You can almost feel the migraine-inducing office light fixtures in that show.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

hemale in pain posted:

Peep show is good if you want a non-panel show British comedy.

i feel like i’ve seen the entire series via clips on youtube

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

i think we should respect his wishes and never talk or think about him again

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hell Yeah posted:

when will british people realize that their strength is not in comedy, but in reading books on tape or narrating things. their dusty old book vibe is perfect for those things, not stand up comedy tho.

They're not even good at that, the midwestern rhotic American accent that you hear in the news and on TV was the original English accent, God's own accent, which was spoken in England prior to the revolutionary war. After England got the liver-cod-paste or whatever kicked out of their poo poo canals by the Americans during the Revolutionary War, rich folks in England invented the 'posh, proper' (non-rhotic) English Reading Voice as a way to distinguish themselves from Americans, and the British working class chased the fad to seem cultured and noble.

This all culminated with early America passing a bill to officially invite all British schoolchildren to America to learn "proper English", because guess what Britain - Americans speak "proper English" and you don't, lmfao.

The US East Coast's dialect was mostly butchered by this as well due to their regular contact with the British causing them to drop the R and start driving cahs with lots of hosepowah

If you don't believe me tune in your 'telly' to the local BBC to catch the documentary series The Adventure of English and prepare to realize that you're even more inferior to America than once believed.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 2, 2022

Gregoire
Feb 3, 2014
Regarding his new show, you can't simply announce a cancel. It ruins the element of sensationalism. You need to be caught with your pants down, literally or figuratively, for it to have any sticking power.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They literally lost the revolutionary war so hard they made up a brand new accent so they could be less like the americans who kicked their rear end, lol

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
Has anyone seen Karl's scripted TV show that came out not so long ago?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

More like Ricky Gervi-rear end

BOOM! *drops keyboard*

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm absolutely not going to watch it, but I look forward to telling people that I think its funnier than Nanette.

edit: gently caress, anything is funnier than Nanette.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 2, 2022

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Disco Pope posted:

I'm absolutely not going to watch it, but I look forward to telling people that I think its funnier than Nanette.

edit: gently caress, anything is funnier than Nanette.

:wrong:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I haven't watched Afterlife except the first episode and it was a colossal borefest / downer and I don't expect it gets better in time.

CozyFella
Feb 1, 2022

I don't have anything of value to add to this conversation.
But I don't care.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Has Louie CK done anything since he got cancelled? His career is pretty much dead now right?

I recently watched his previous Netflix special "Hilarious" and his first bit was about aggressively staring at women wanting to gently caress them. I'm not sure if it was less funny, or funnier considering the outcome of everything after.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

still haven't forgiven him for the cinematic abortion that is 'the invention of lying'.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Toast of London is some hilarious british comedy. Totally unhinged and never even attempts to have a serious emotional moment.

After/Life is quite funny and surprisingly emotionally mature. Ricky isn't as edgy as he thinks he is. He's not going to say anything hateful or bigoted, he's just not that guy I think. He's probably just gonna say a bunch of atheist poo poo.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Galewolf posted:

I haven't watched Afterlife except the first episode and it was a colossal borefest / downer and I don't expect it gets better in time.

After life is good

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Nanette is like a really good TED Talk, but don't tell me I'm getting a cheeseburger and give me steak tartare.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Toast of London is some hilarious british comedy. Totally unhinged and never even attempts to have a serious emotional moment.

After/Life is quite funny and surprisingly emotionally mature. Ricky isn't as edgy as he thinks he is. He's not going to say anything hateful or bigoted, he's just not that guy I think. He's probably just gonna say a bunch of atheist poo poo.
Uhhh, you ever heard his thoughts on trans people? Lemme just say: not good.

Probably gonna be the helicopter joke over and over for an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

Uhhh, you ever heard his thoughts on trans people? Lemme just say: not good.

Probably gonna be the helicopter joke over and over for an hour.

eh well never mind then

par for the course for british people though