Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its pretty funny for Matt Groening to go right for the Family Guy joke so quickly, seems like a clever guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
as a pushy cosmopolitan fan who knows his parasocial limits, I judge Ricky to be pathetically unappreciative of Groening's time

I would have abrasively claimed Humboldt County CA is the more "legit hippie descendant" of westcost communities than Portland OR, then apologized a bunch of times asking for him to draw a patented M. G. caricature of :frogout:

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Crazypoops posted:

Zoolander was a pile of poo poo and the only funny scene was the gas fight but even that has gotten old

But why male models?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

WonkyBob posted:

But why male models?

because some kids can't read good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ-8IuUkJJc

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Remembering the good old days when I believed Dane Cook was the worst thing to happen to stand up comedy.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Poohs Packin posted:

Remembering the good old days when I believed Dane Cook was the worst thing to happen to stand up comedy.

i've never actually watched a minute of his stuff but i do remember about 12 years ago or whenever, it was just constant 'gently caress dane cook he should go away' from everybody i knew and then i guess he did because it abruptly stopped and now he's almost never mentioned

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

He was super popular among like frat guys and college aged women and then got accused of stealing jokes by Louis C.K. while Louis was enjoying a meteoric rise.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

yeah the only time i've ever seen him on screen for more than 5 seconds was the episode of the louis show he did which seemed to be a sort of make up/redemption deal

i dunno if he actually did steal louis's jokes but if it comes out that he was public masturbating at the time then i guess we'll know for sure

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i always wondered how much joke theft/story plagiarism is actual theft and not just a coincidence because there's really only so many ways to make that stuff work and with 8 billion people in the world some people are going to have the same idea

or hell even just someone heard the idea from someone else but was drunk or forgot about it for the most part but it stuck around in their head so they thought it was their idea

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The only Dane Cook skit I ever saw was about how kicking in a stranger's door and not stealing anything would be worse than stealing poo poo. I remember it as pretty funny, so maybe it was a stolen bit.

I dunno, I don't watch standup unless someone shows it to me.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Poohs Packin posted:

I know guys who thought that Edward Norton's character in American History X was "badass" and didn't think past that point, same with American Psycho.

People suck at understanding movies, broadly.

As soon as Edward Norton stops being racist he is murdered...

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've heard the original version had Derek becoming a Nazi again after Danny gets shot but the studio made them shoot a different ending.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Robo Reagan posted:

i always wondered how much joke theft/story plagiarism is actual theft and not just a coincidence because there's really only so many ways to make that stuff work and with 8 billion people in the world some people are going to have the same idea

or hell even just someone heard the idea from someone else but was drunk or forgot about it for the most part but it stuck around in their head so they thought it was their idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXbywvhIcQU

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
he also never made another special after he found out his brother embezzled millions of dollars from him

also is dane cook really that bad when just making animal noises was an acceptable bit only a few years before his career took off? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1DGtd2xxO8&t=325s

yeah i'm stanning for dane cook and wtf are you gonna do about it

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

you know who's pretty funny

anthony jeselnik

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Zoolander is a good movie in that the message in it is that big businesses in the first world take advantage of developing countries' lack of labor laws and will do anything to maintain the status quo. It is a bad movie because that message gets lost in the stupid antics of the rest of the film.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Pac and Cheese posted:

he also never made another special after he found out his brother embezzled millions of dollars from him

also is dane cook really that bad when just making animal noises was an acceptable bit only a few years before his career took off? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1DGtd2xxO8&t=325s

yeah i'm stanning for dane cook and wtf are you gonna do about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbAF1EExpek

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Bogus Adventure posted:

Zoolander is a good movie in that the message in it is that big businesses in the first world take advantage of developing countries' lack of labor laws and will do anything to maintain the status quo. It is a bad movie because that message gets lost in the stupid antics of the rest of the film.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I've heard the original version had Derek becoming a Nazi again after Danny gets shot but the studio made them shoot a different ending.

drat you derek and your silly antics

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

i completely blocked this out till now god bless you harland williams canadia's funnyman

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Pac and Cheese posted:

i completely blocked this out till now god bless you harland williams canadia's funnyman

I was driving to work the other night and Sirius was playing his special, and lol "I went and got me some plastic surgery, yeah, I got my chin removed and my ears enlarged"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Pac and Cheese posted:

the stuff with him painting in food-paste to prevent insanity is pretty real

and it's funny cause Mr. Monke tricks him out of the cryosleep chamber (and later adventures), thus ensuring the good Planet of the Apes Movies in that timeline

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Robo Reagan posted:

joke theft is like song theft. basically every comedian/musician does it, but only the really stupid ones steal from sources that are easily traceable

like, one of the best bands ever is Manu Negra. but they're one of those bands that just straight up uses other bands riffs and was never sued for it.

"letter to the censors" is literally just "ace of spades":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NviHnidBtCU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Song theft usually only amounts to anything when the song in question is a big hit.

I watch a lot of standup and there is soo much crossover between jokes and different comedians. I feel like it's rare that I watch a special where I don't see a bit that someone else hasn't already done. I think people subconsciously rip stuff off or just land on the same joke because it's inevitable. Some comedians seem to think their dick jokes are truly special and that they are the only ones who could have come up with it.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

patton oswalt: durr southern people are dumb
david cross: durr southern people are dumb
patton oswalt: you stole my joke you fraud!

let them fight over it. who cares.

- me, in 2003

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Song theft usually only amounts to anything when the song in question is a big hit.

yeah exactly. it's all about the money

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

My favorite about this is that he actually charged Ricky Gervais twenty bucks for the drawing.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
i would gently caress dane cook 15 years ago or anthony jeselnick right now

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

helsabot posted:

i would gently caress dane cook 15 years ago or anthony jeselnick right now

i think one of the things that makes anthony so funny is because he's so hot and normal looking, there's just no need for him to be like this and he is anyway.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Thank you Ricky 🙏

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

:lmao:

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
https://x.com/rickygervais/status/1729190217247297671?s=46

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

drat I cut myself to the bone that edge is so sharp

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I hope he doesn't get cancelled for that :ohdear:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

😂 It’s me laughing at my joke on twitter 😂

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Pls ban Ricky Gervaise from something awful post haste

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I hope he doesn't get cancelled for that :ohdear:

This is so stupid. The way people like him talk you would think the right to free speech also gives them the right to a captive audience.

There is no great conspiracy. Maybe nobody wants to hear what you have to say, Ricky.

Also, you've never been funny. Ever.

wait, wtf. why am i talking to you like you are ricky. sorry.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Netflix sure loves making content for lovely transphobes

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Unfunny and also snailist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Valko posted:

This is so stupid. The way people like him talk you would think the right to free speech also gives them the right to a captive audience.

There is no great conspiracy. Maybe nobody wants to hear what you have to say, Ricky.

Also, you've never been funny. Ever.

wait, wtf. why am i talking to you like you are ricky. sorry.

I land like 2 out of 5 of the jokes I attempt, a batting average which puts me way out of Ricky's league