Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The only funny thing I remember Gervais being in was that one skit with Patrick Stewart acting like he was some kind of an idiot.

Then Picard came out, and we all realized that it wasn't an act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Samovar posted:

The only funny thing I remember Gervais being in was that one skit with Patrick Stewart acting like he was some kind of an idiot.

he's good at screenwriting but I don't know what made him think he could do standup aside from the huge amount of money he gets given to do that

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

he's good at screenwriting but I don't know what made him think he could do standup aside from the huge amount of money he gets given to do that

I think with screenwriting hes only really good when he works with Steve and same goes both ways too. They both have the same issue where together they're pretty good because they will reign each other in. Ricky alone just gets too hateful and Steve alone just gets pathetic and weird (see Hello Ladies)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Samovar posted:

Picard was awesome because Patrick Stewart, in his advanced age, fully embraced who he is; and that Extras skit was factual.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Is he canceled or not then?

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

fish and chips and dip posted:

Is he canceled or not then?

Dunno, we recently watched one where he talked about aging and how he was having a bath and his ballsack was floating above the surface and we found the special funny as a whole, in an era where there's just over saturation of stand up. I think people are just confusing marketing and material and as I read the thread I most often thought how life must suck if you need to over analyze everything before deciding if it's worthy of you having a laugh.

Also as this thread popped up I remembered the thread topic and became curious, went to page one and holy poo poo has it already been 2 years.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Rumour has it that Alec Baldwin is going to cancel Ricky Gervais with a .45

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Saalkin posted:

Rumour has it that Alec Baldwin is going to cancel Ricky Gervais with a .45

now i DO want alec baldwin to kill again

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
Thoughts on Ricky Gervais' new special "Armageddon" on NetFlix?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched it after everyone went to bed on Xmas and it loving sucked. The dude is a total amateur.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Wizard Master posted:

none, op. thanks

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Wizard Master posted:

i didnt watch it cuz ricky gervais sucks poo poo op

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Didn't even realise he had a thing out, not that I'd watch it. Because Gervais is a hack poo poo who can gently caress off to the bottom of the ocean.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Post ITT every time you lol that Ricky Gervais made an earnest effort to become a RomCom leading man

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 30, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
remember when everyone was wanking him off because of how brave he was going to awards shows and going "you hollywood lot are all shagging!"

lmao

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ricky Gervais invented podcasting and u all should be grateful

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It must be so frustrating for him to try and get cancelled only to end up richer and more successful than ever.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

was his latest special some form of "oy they say they're gonna cancel me *gives example of not being cancelled* but they can't cancel me! *mugs for the camera*" wizard master

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/barrydeutsch/status/1024567665094930432

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

MrQwerty posted:

was his latest special some form of "oy they say they're gonna cancel me *gives example of not being cancelled* but they can't cancel me! *mugs for the camera*" wizard master

This is the first 20 minutes. I used to like the guy but he’s gone insane like Chappell in that he forgets to…write jokes.

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

Tropic Thunder is very funny and I honestly feel bad for the people who are too sensitive to enjoy it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I feel so sorry for him. All he wants are his just desserts and comeuppances but all he gets is attention and money.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I feel so sorry for him. All he wants are his just desserts and comeuppances but all he gets is attention and money.

has he tried saying the n word yet

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I hope he's at least considering it. At this rate he's going to die a beloved billionaire passing on generational wealth to a dynasty of Gervais'.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Samovar posted:

I mean, that entire show is really good.

I liked his newest show about grief too. His standup makes me want to die though.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Good poo poo.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

https://youtu.be/mIHY5cFXqQk?si=GU2T_qNmifOu4VUn

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
W I Z A R D M A S T E R
I
Z
A
R
D
M
A
S
T
E
R

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It must be like hell for him. He's trying so hard to face justice for what he's said but all anyone does is watch his shows and give him money.

There's a great story to be told here. A novel for the ages. The tale of a man living in his own personal hell, ridden with guilt desperately trying to cleanse his soul of sin but no matter what he does everyone fawns over his ever misdeed.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
The first three big specials he did were pretty good, but yeah his comedy has really dropped off these days. Someone else said it above, but it used to be that he was just being funny while also being kinda irreverent. Now it's like the irreverence is the whole point and he forgets to actually be funny and he's just a dick.

Stephen Merchant was probably the perfect leveller for him and now Ricky has hosed that up too.

I don't like Afterlife at all except for the clips you can find on YouTube that just clip the genuinely funny bits his actors gift the show. I found it very saccharine and clumsy and cynical. It wasn't the slightest bit authentic like it gets lauded for in the press and by his fan base.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 30, 2023

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Also hard agree that the Karl Pilkington bit was loving great and was ruined by egregiously overstaying it's welcome.

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

He should be hung, drawn & quartered for unleashing that evil upon the world.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
I get ricky gervais's worldview

I mean after reading so many wizard master threads, you really have to believe there is truly no god and its no laughing matter

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Yeah and he was the least interesting part of his own show.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

he;s still not a standup comedian op and the person who told him he could be should be punished, especially if that person was him

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Stunt-Puffin posted:

Tropic Thunder is very funny and I honestly feel bad for the people who are too sensitive to enjoy it.

Hey guys it's Tom Cruise and he's got a bald cap on and he's dancing to rap music, omg omg

A white executive man is dancing to rap music lololololol

Totally the height of comedy

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Hey guys it's Tom Cruise and he's got a bald cap on and he's dancing to rap music, omg omg

A white executive man is dancing to rap music lololololol

Totally the height of comedy

yeah that one scene is why people like tropic thunder

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Horrorosaurus posted:

as I read the thread I most often thought how life must suck if you need to over analyze everything before deciding if it's worthy of you having a laugh.

I mean, yeah? Life sucks for non-white, non-cis people in many ways, yes. Must be nice for you that you don't have to think of any of that poo poo. I guess enjoy patting yourself on the back for your easier life?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah that one scene is why people like tropic thunder

It was absolutely one of the most talked about parts when it came out, people loved that poo poo. Just went bonkers. If you like that movie, that's your crowd. Suburban mom humor. Sorry. Self-reflection can be a difficult thing sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

ricky gervais is a right oval office