Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Video games as a medium have reached the risk-averse state of other entertainment where companies love banking on a known brand name to pump out a remake or remaster or reimagining. Crash and Spyro got their trilogies redone with exponentially more polygons. Final Fantasy 7 got Midgar expanded into a whole rear end game with a loving Broadway musical sequence, with Final Fantasy 1 being reimagined as a Limp Bizkit blasting Soulslike in a month or so. Even Actraiser is getting a remake.

It's an interesting phenomenon lately that games have matured enough as a medium that folks who worked within the tight technical constraints of pixel stuff and super janky early 3D in the 80s and 90s are now coming back to a world where their watch has more memory than the machines they programmed their original games on. The technological restrictions have been lifted, and everyone's much older and maybe slightly wiser and more mature as artists. Old ideas can be reexamined, the original grandiose visions can be faithfully rendered, while at the same time they can be reflected upon and refined and used as a medium of meta-commentary.

What old games do you want a modern sequel or remake or reimagining?

Personally I'd like to see what a modern version of those old nonsense 80s arcade games like Rygar or Joust. Just weird Heavy Metal poo poo somehow translated into a 3D action game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Smash TV, Bass Landing, Mappy

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Alpha Protocol, with even more reactivity in the story.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Battlezone. A thousand times Battlezone. It's deader than dead and there's nothing else like it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Jet Set Radio

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Not Jagged Alliance. Please stop trying to bring that back. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1084160/Jagged_Alliance_3/

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

HEXEN. The idea of a dark fantasy FPS with medieval weaponry and some RPG conventions such as spells and an inventory seems like such a slam dunk in 2022, yet nobody has really tried to enter the space at the AAA level in 25 years. Maybe now that Raven has been wrested from the COD mines there is a small glimmer of hope..

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

exquisite tea posted:

HEXEN. The idea of a dark fantasy FPS with medieval weaponry and some RPG conventions such as spells and an inventory seems like such a slam dunk in 2022, yet nobody has really tried to enter the space at the AAA level in 25 years. Maybe now that Raven has been wrested from the COD mines there is a small glimmer of hope..

Give me this.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I got another one: Ecco the Dolphin. I want to see a 6DOF flight sim like Descent or Overload or whatever, but applied to a vaporwave New Age hippy crystal aesthetic of a dolphin fighting aliens. And maybe find some way to make it not painfully annoying to actually play

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Dungeon Keeper 2. I want to slap some imps

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Bet on Soldier has a kernel of a cool idea in it but holy poo poo was the execution bad. Gimme a good one.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Black and White but like good

Syndicate

World in Conflict

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
Marathon

Hub Cat posted:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

barnold posted:

Smash TV

it's hard to revive an IP when no one will buy it for more than a dollar!!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

also: Giants: Citizen Kabuto

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Mercenaries

Full Spectrum Warrior, but on the other hand it's essentially military propaganda, so it should probably just stay dead.

Edit: Also add Virtual On and Dance Dance Revolution

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 2, 2022

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Sacrifice would be a cool IP to revisit. Maybe go to a new world with 5 different gods.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Might and Magic would be cool too but only in the distinction of robot angels and alien demons and not fantasy world ashan M&M.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Timesplitters, nothing more, nothing less.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wouldn't say no to an actual, good Mechwarrior game. Not some procgen garbage, but an actual game with scripts and planned out missions. MW4:Mercs but 2022.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
How the gently caress has nobody said Half-Life yet. Alyx doesn't count, I don't have a VR headset so it doesn't exist :colbert:

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
World of Warcraft

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Drakan, Titanfall.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

SimCopter, actually most of the Sim brand

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

Blast Corps

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Give me a modern sequel to Akuji The Heartless.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. The setting/plot I could take or leave, but the general concept of an action rpg mostly built around loving with enemies through the power of physics is shamefully underused.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters
I misread the title as "LPs", not "IPs" and was about to say that one FE1 LP where Doga chokes the point.

Actual answer is Eledees (or elebits if you're not european). Game was fun and had a pretty great soundtrack too.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
My router's DHCP is on the fritz, so I'd say anything in the 192.168.1.[2-through-65]ish range. It just keeps assigning higher and higher addresses as the leases expire, with no indication of anything reserving the already used addresses. But until it becomes an actual problem, I'm too lazy to reset it and track down the old firmware that didn't do this.

Lifepuzzler fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 2, 2022

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Banjo-Kazooie (yooka-laylee was garbage)

Beyond Good and Evil (I have basically no hope of BGE2 actually coming out at this point)

Brutal Legend

Burnout

Chronicles of Riddick

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hub Cat posted:

Holy poo poo, I totally forgot about that game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Dungeon Keeper 2. I want to slap some imps

The Dungeons trilogy, especially Dungeons 3, ends up being what Dungeon Keeper 3 was going to be before it was canceled. https://store.steampowered.com/app/493900/Dungeons_3/

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Burnout. Stop remastering and re-releasing Paradise it was like the third best game in the series and make a new game!!!

Rudy Kadett
Oct 22, 2007

I would murder for a new Hidden & Dangerous.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

This'd be good.
Closest thing I've found is AMID EVIL.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Also I want a new Wario Land game rather than endless Warioware games please and thankyou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Amid Evil is indeed very cool but it's a little closer to Quake in terms of the gameplay. Something that falls a little closer on the dark fantasy side of things with more of an RPG edge is what I'd really like to see. And no offense to Amid Evil, but it'd be nice to see a Hexen reboot with more modern looking graphics.