Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
Whilst perhaps not as old or 'dead' as some other things mentioned in this thread, I would like remasters or new games of anything that was made between 1996 - 2001 and was included in Rare Replay.

Banjo Kazooie / Tooie, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini were absolutely massive parts of my childhood and I would pay all of the money to play them with modern graphical (and in the case of JFG, controller) upgrades.

Hell, I don't even need that. I'd take having Rare Replay available on PC so I could play those games again without requiring an Xbox.

Playing Banjo Kazooie on the Switch recently was super fun and I want N64 era Rare IP's in my life again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Clock Tower. Solid horror series that could make a decent return and teach a new generation to fear Scissorman.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I want loving Anachronox 2

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Been replaying the Battletech TBS, and it makes me long for the days of Mechcommander :smith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CommissarMega posted:

Been replaying the Battletech TBS, and it makes me long for the days of Mechcommander :smith:

There's a mod for MechWarrior 5 that turns it into a rts! It's still not very good though

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I only played MechCommander 2, and I thought that one was great. Barely scratched the surface of what you could do with that genre, but I had a great time with it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I only played MechCommander 2, and I thought that one was great. Barely scratched the surface of what you could do with that genre, but I had a great time with it.

Weird, I'm in the same boat of having only played 2 after a friend gushed forever about 1 and convinced me to go get 2 when it came out. The friend apologized for how bad the game was. Did it get better with patches or expansions?
The pilots/mechs were often unresponsive and the game chugged and seemed unoptimized for a midrange computer.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
F Zero every time for me, miss that and would love a new one
And Burnout and Outrun

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Harold Fjord posted:

Helicopter ARPG like the old Strike series.

Top of my list now that Road Redemption exists.

:hai:

Both of these would be hot as gently caress in VR

Just found out that Robot Alchemic Drive was preceded by a PS1 game called Remote Control Dandy. Apparently the devs left this studio to create Sandlot, who made RAD. It has a fan translation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsDb-u4-Zko

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A lot of games I just want the mechanics to get revisited and their actual IP stuff is pretty thin and I don't have any strong feelings about. The world of Dragon's Dogma I can barely remember anything about, but the mechanics, the action-spellcasting, the climbing on so many enemies, the most comprehensive character creator system I've ever seen that also converts your physical characteristics into gameplay consequences, the layered clothing system, and the darkness that makes running out of lamp oil actually stressful all seem neat enough I'd love to see those again. Similarly, I love all the mechanics of Sid Meier's Pirates, but any game could do literally all of those and even port them to different genres or contexts, and IP-wise, all that the game has is the name and I guess Montalban. Often I might even prefer for game companies to try their hands at creating new IPs, since if they've got good enough writers to make an interesting game, those writers might be able to be more interesting with more freedom, although I will admit reusing IPs allows franchises to snowball into larger forces.

Of course, there's also patented game mechanics that count as IP, and the only one of those I know of that I want to see more of is Shadow of Mordor's nemesis system.

pink flag
May 16, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Dungeon Keeper 2. I want to slap some imps

Yes 100%. I've played both Dungeons and WFTO and I while appreciate what they're trying to do, they just don't hit that same sweet spot for me.

Trifoil
Apr 26, 2008
Continuing the Soul Reaver series would be nice.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

pink flag posted:

Yes 100%. I've played both Dungeons and WFTO and I while appreciate what they're trying to do, they just don't hit that same sweet spot for me.

A creature has died in your prison and has risen as a skeleton

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Klonoa :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiPEVAxLH20

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Trifoil posted:

Continuing the Soul Reaver series would be nice.

Tony Jay passed away over 10 years ago unfortunately. Michael Bell and Simon Templeman are also really getting up there. If there's ever a Soul Reaver reboot we'll never get that trifecta of hammy acting ever again.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

TIE Fighter
Silent Hunter

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'd appreciate a remaster of Freelancer, this time with the dynamic economy and socio-political events that Chris Roberts kept promising but couldn't deliver because he doesn't understand scope creep and he had to sell Digital Anvil to Microsoft and step away from development in order for the drat game to actually get released. Even in its gimped version, I really love it, but it could have been so much more. (gently caress off, Star Citizen.)

peter gabriel posted:

F Zero every time for me, miss that and would love a new one
And Burnout and Outrun

Burnout would be nice. I didn't vibe with Paradise at all, largely because I didn't like the open-world system. Now, give me something along the lines of Burnout Revenge? Then we're talking.

But, Criterion is a shell of itself nowadays and exists to help EA out with vehicle gameplay on the Battlefield games. :smith:

edgeman83 posted:

A more advanced version of The Movies would be great. Hell, strip out the tycoon lot building part and just go movie making with actor maintenance.

The Movies could be an amazing experience.

Just keep Peter Molyneux a hundred miles away from it, because the only developer I can think of who's better at over-promising and under-delivering is Chris Roberts.

CaptainCaveman posted:

I still want to play the game Jurassic Park: Trespasser was supposed to be - open world island, decent physics engine and puzzles, and dinosaurs that had their own set of priorities and behaviors.

Trespasser could have been amazing if Seamus Blackley had waited a decade, maybe a little more, to try making it. The tech just wasn't there yet.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Also make Sleeping Dogs 2 you cowards! Literally everyone wants it!

Can't believe I didn't think of this. Yeah, give me this thanks.

God that game was so good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Timby posted:

I'd appreciate a remaster of Freelancer, this time with the dynamic economy and socio-political events that Chris Roberts kept promising but couldn't deliver because he doesn't understand scope creep and he had to sell Digital Anvil to Microsoft and step away from development in order for the drat game to actually get released. Even in its gimped version, I really love it, but it could have been so much more. (gently caress off, Star Citizen.)

It's not as charming, but the X series is basically Ultra Freelancer

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

War of the Monsters remaster or sequel, please.

I make no claims the original game was good, but there was a long stretch where it was one of the only games I owned and I have very fond memories.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

CommissarMega posted:

Heck yes, and bring back FMV intros.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjBSOTYT2c4

Also, while I liked Star Wars: Squadrons a lot, I really want a true sequel to X-Wing Alliance. My lovely uncle still needs to pay! :argh:

Psamtik I
Sep 30, 2005
The original Starflight from the early '80s had hundreds of procedurally generated planets, numerous alien civs that you could talk to and learn secrets from, ancient ruins to explore and a whole lot more, all on 2 floppy discs. The game was years ahead of its time. There are some recent attempts at revival including Ur-Quan Masters and Star Control: Origins but neither quite recaptured the magic. Does anyone know of any other games, preferably recent, that would scratch the same itch?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Rommel1896 posted:

The original Starflight from the early '80s had hundreds of procedurally generated planets, numerous alien civs that you could talk to and learn secrets from, ancient ruins to explore and a whole lot more, all on 2 floppy discs. The game was years ahead of its time. There are some recent attempts at revival including Ur-Quan Masters and Star Control: Origins but neither quite recaptured the magic. Does anyone know of any other games, preferably recent, that would scratch the same itch?

If I could completely miss the point of your question for a sec, did you ever try out the sega genesis version? It bumps up the graphics and sound a notch and adds some neat music.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Seen quite a few people says Jet Set Radio in this thread. I just want remind everyone about Bomb Rush Cyberfunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-cE0PK9TeQ

Team Reptile has proved they can deliver extremely tight gameplay with the Lethal League games, so I'm really looking forward to this.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Klonoa: Door to Phantomille was one of my favorite games on the PS1. It was already remade once for the Wii and the version shown here looks different, so I guess this is the third time this exact game has been made. Played through the PS2 game once but it didn't hold my interest as much, hard to say if it's not as good or if it just lacked the nostalgia value. An actual Klonoa 3 would be great instead of just retreading old ground.

For unlikely PS1 games I want to see remade/expanded, Einhander was another one of my favorites:

Side scrolling platformers seem to have mostly fallen out of favor, side scrolling shooters even more so. Einhander had a neat gimmick where your ship has a grabber arm which can be used to hold the weapons dropped by enemy ships you're destroying. You could switch positions holding it above or below your ship and the weapon would often have different characteristics depending on that position. Bosses had elaborate designs and destructible pieces, so you could destroy their weapons or armor gradually which would change how the fight played out. Still one of the most mechanically satisfying and well-made shooters I've played to date, I've always wanted either a remake with modern graphics or some kind of spiritual successor. As an IP I'm guessing it's completely forgotten within Square Enix and will never see another entry.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 16, 2022

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Good soup! posted:

Lords of the Realm

Depending on how you would interpret it as a modern 3D game, both Knights of Honor II: Sovereign and Manor Lords are coming out this year.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Only one I can think of without a modern version even from another dev is The Horde (from 1994)

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 16, 2022

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

holy poo poo this would rule. jungle strike but an arpg would be sick as hell.

or even more strike games in general, they're fun

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

This, but don't do a sequel but do a Terran-Vasudan War game where you can play both sides.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

Top of my list now that Road Redemption exists.

:hai:

Both of these would be hot as gently caress in VR

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1710820/Cleared_Hot/
I have hopes on Cleared Hot scratching some of that Strike itch.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Actraiser

Sim city

F zero

Megaman x

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Deki posted:

Actraiser

I enjoyed the Actraiser remake, I hope it gets a sequel, and unlike the original Actraiser 2 it doesn't remove the city building aspect.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'd also like a new Sid Meier's Pirates! that's a little more fleshed out and less based around minigames. The closest is AC: Black Flag which is pretty fun but I was thinking something a bit more roguelike and sim-y.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Games I would do a lot of things to get a new title, remake, reboot, hell just even a modern rerelease I don't care:

Bust A Groove
Rival Schools
Drill Dozer
Jade Empire
Tomba!

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Rad Russian posted:

Only one I can think of without a modern version even from another dev is The Horde (from 1994)

The Horde was great. One game that reminded me of it was Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves, which was made free a few years ago so it's easy to check out. Same sort of deal in planning and laying down traps but also doing some fighting yourself as well.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

By popular demand posted:

Am I the only one who preferred the original Dungeon Keeper over the sequel?

My problem with DK2, was that it wasn't quite as raunchy or irreverent as the first (no Bile Demons flipping you off for slapping them around), it had way fewer unique animations for monster interactions (everyone just picks up and eats their chicken, no instant chicken dinner magic spells from the warlock, torture animations were unimaginative (gimme my pickaxe to the balls any day!)), and it had way too many humanoid units (I want my fat beetles, spiders, and tentacles, less ANGRY ANGEL and MAN WITH KNIFE).

And neither War for the Overworld or the Dungeons series did anything for me. Again, they all lacked the irreverence.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

THE BAR posted:

My problem with DK2, was that it wasn't quite as raunchy or irreverent as the first (no Bile Demons flipping you off for slapping them around), it had way fewer unique animations for monster interactions (everyone just picks up and eats their chicken, no instant chicken dinner magic spells from the warlock, torture animations were unimaginative (gimme my pickaxe to the balls any day!)), and it had way too many humanoid units (I want my fat beetles, spiders, and tentacles, less ANGRY ANGEL and MAN WITH KNIFE).

And neither War for the Overworld or the Dungeons series did anything for me. Again, they all lacked the irreverence.

My favorite thing from DK1 was how the worldmap changed from sunny and happy to dark and ruined after every level was completed. And how the narrator would describe each stage with disdain before you wreck it, and explain how hosed up it is after you got finished with it.

I want to see a new Startropics. I kinda envision a cross between Breath of the Wild and Subnautica.

Also Chrono Trigger, but I know any new entry now has no chance of living up to the name.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Oregon trail, Cross Country Canada, Carmen sandiego, Odell lake, number munchers and most of the games from The Learning Company.

Like just completely rework them from the ground up with all the latest technology, but not gimmicky with VR or nfts. I'd like to see the return of edutainment games in the 2020s.

Maybe putt putt and typing of the dead too.

Only other one I can think of is total annihilation. Just please don't do the multiple planets thing that planetary annihilation did.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 16, 2022

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Deki posted:

Megaman x

There's the gacha, but yeah I'd like a total reboot.

Preferably one where Iris from X4 has more presence and doesn't die, but eh. I'd take almost anything at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mylan posted:

My favorite thing from DK1 was how the worldmap changed from sunny and happy to dark and ruined after every level was completed. And how the narrator would describe each stage with disdain before you wreck it, and explain how hosed up it is after you got finished with it.

And how places change name from stuff like Lushmeadow-on-Down to Knife (it's really a place to take the kids for the weekends!).