Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Asterite34 posted:

I got another one: Ecco the Dolphin. I want to see a 6DOF flight sim like Descent or Overload or whatever, but applied to a vaporwave New Age hippy crystal aesthetic of a dolphin fighting aliens. And maybe find some way to make it not painfully annoying to actually play

Want this very badly.

Fourthing or fifthing Freespace.

My other two would be Rise of Nations and Alpha Centauri. Calling Civilization: Beyond Earth a pale imitation would be too kind and gently caress Curt Schilling for killing Big Huge Games.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Someone get Populous off of EA's ghoulish hands.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I'd always be up for a new Panzer Dragoon game. I also just looked it up and apparently they put out a remake of the first Panzer Dragoon in 2020, though that's not quite the same.

Also agree with everyone wanting another Alpha Protocol. They should just call it Beta Protocol. Not even a direct sequel; just a spy-RPG with the same mechanics set in roughly the same world.

conscript salad
Oct 5, 2005
I am not allowed to post outside of CC or repsnake will hurt me.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Side scrolling platformers seem to have mostly fallen out of favor, side scrolling shooters even more so. Einhander had a neat gimmick where your ship has a grabber arm which can be used to hold the weapons dropped by enemy ships you're destroying. You could switch positions holding it above or below your ship and the weapon would often have different characteristics depending on that position. Bosses had elaborate designs and destructible pieces, so you could destroy their weapons or armor gradually which would change how the fight played out. Still one of the most mechanically satisfying and well-made shooters I've played to date, I've always wanted either a remake with modern graphics or some kind of spiritual successor. As an IP I'm guessing it's completely forgotten within Square Enix and will never see another entry.

Came to post this.

I got a demo cd with my PS1 that had like 15+ demos on it. Out of all of them, this was the one that impressed me the most and really felt like a true "next-gen" game.
I'm guessing a lot of users who tried the demo may have found it frustrating because it was rather difficult at the time. Hence it being abandoned after one game.
It may not have sparkled but it is a gem. And I had to have it.
I still pop it in once and a while and imagine a remaster in widescreen and a zoomed out camera.
The music slaps as well.

So I guess now I'll dig deep and bring up Machine Hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSr4kLjtsWk

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Crimson Skies is the first series I thought of when I saw this thread. It's a real shame that Microsoft has saw fit to just sit on the IP for all these years, it's such a fun setting.

Also: A new Brothers in Arms. Gearbox has said they've been working on a new one for an extremely long time, with absolutely nothing to show for it. The original Road to Hill 30 was one of my favorites for the original Xbox, and though the World War II genre is extremely well-tread ground at this point, I still want to see a new entry with BIA's signature squad-based gameplay.

Finally: Rogue Squadron. Star Wars: Squadrons was fun, but it was much more of a spiritual successor to the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games as opposed to the arcady Rogue Squadron. Rogue Squadron was ~my jam~ as a kid, and I'd absolutely love to see a new entry take over from where Factor 5 left off.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Whoa, 2 other people who remember Mail Order Monsters.

I could also use some versions of Finnish MUDs like Icesus and Batmud that aren't infested with bigots and people who think rape is funny.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Entorwellian posted:

Oregon trail, Cross Country Canada, Carmen sandiego, Odell lake, number munchers and most of the games from The Learning Company.

Like just completely rework them from the ground up with all the latest technology, but not gimmicky with VR or nfts. I'd like to see the return of edutainment games in the 2020s.

Maybe putt putt and typing of the dead too.

Only other one I can think of is total annihilation. Just please don't do the multiple planets thing that planetary annihilation did.

Oregon Trail actually got a modern remake recently for Apple Arcade: https://www.imore.com/oregon-trail-apple-arcade-review-classic-game-brought-world-modern-mobile-gaming

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I see that Ogre Battle and Freespace have been mentioned multiple times. All is right with the universe. I will now return to my 10,000 year old slumber.

However, one IP that I just loving adore and could play forever is the King's Field series, by everyone's favorite From Software. Everything about that game is perfect, except the frame rate. And it would be such a good candidate for a virtual reality option.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Blue Stinger on Dreamcast was weird and oddly fun at the same time. I always associate it with Christmas and I felt that the gameplay was varied.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

I've been waiting for Gabriel Knight 4 for over 20 years now

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Entorwellian posted:

Oregon trail, Cross Country Canada, Carmen sandiego, Odell lake, number munchers and most of the games from The Learning Company.

Like just completely rework them from the ground up with all the latest technology, but not gimmicky with VR or nfts. I'd like to see the return of edutainment games in the 2020s.

Maybe putt putt and typing of the dead too.

Only other one I can think of is total annihilation. Just please don't do the multiple planets thing that planetary annihilation did.

Give me zoombinis. i almost said with awesome customization options, but then realized that making them not cartoony enough would be kinda...graphic when they fall off the cliffs and get splattered and stuff.

Unfortunately with digitial marketplaces, without making it really easy to create a sort of gated kids zone on steam or something that pushes those games there's just no real way to market em. Back in the day we had toy stores that would have dedicated eduatainment sections. hell, i remember whole rear end toy stores that were devoted to edutainment stuff, where there weren't any pure toys, everything taught something. The only real way to sell enough copies to be worth it would be to push the nostalgia factor *hard* since a lot of people who grew up on those games now have kids in the target demo....

but then they're competing against the OG games that they're remastered from.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
might and magic rpgs. ide settle for remasters that work on a current pc.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Asterite34 posted:

I got another one: Ecco the Dolphin. I want to see a 6DOF flight sim like Descent or Overload or whatever, but applied to a vaporwave New Age hippy crystal aesthetic of a dolphin fighting aliens. And maybe find some way to make it not painfully annoying to actually play

New Ecco should be just as scary as the original was for kids, dark and leaning into his status as a vaporwave icon a bit, but not too much.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

snergle posted:

might and magic rpgs. ide settle for remasters that work on a current pc.

Get them on gog. They all work.

Might and Magic Remastered would be amazing though.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I'm sure it's been done and I'm just unaware of it, but I'd love to see another RTS with the unit design feature from WarZone 2100. It had just the right level of complexity, not like the ship designer in basically every space 4X game that just gets overwhelming.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Steambot Chronicles 2.

Robo Reagan posted:

Dark Cloud or some variant of that

That or Actraiser. Take it a few steps further, a Sim City style game that unlocks an RPG in the city you build.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

edgeman83 posted:

A more advanced version of The Movies would be great. Hell, strip out the tycoon lot building part and just go movie making with actor maintenance.

The Movies 2 would sell itself. Just have a few big names on YouTube make dumb movies with it and upload them, their viewers would watch and want to make their own movies.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

or. As an IP I'm guessing it's completely forgotten within Square Enix and will never see another entry.

You fight them in world of final fantasy! So someone in the company somewhere remembers that game still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W70ipSeayHo

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
My answer:

all those loosely connected Quintet games. soul blazer, illusion of gaia, terranigma.

All those games had such a specific tone and I wish someone would make a spiritual modern sequel.

Like it's not even the gameplay, it's that they all had this weird pragmatic bleakness to them that no other game has. Like the world's saddest and most practical man wrote them.

Like there is a scene you cause a cave-in and are trapped with a goat and a dead goat and it turns out they goats were husband and wife, and the wife is like "sometimes goats die" and as you starve to death she eventually brings you goat meat to eat, then when you escape the cave there is a big cliff and the goat is like "go on, I'll escape on my own" but if you go back she's just dead next to her husband. Or a similar scene in illusion of gaia where the princess doesn't want to kill to eat, then realizes there is no other way. Or like, the part of terranigma you save fantasy france from poverty by inventing a wine industry and some guy is like "I guess people can't live without alcohol"

It's this very specific tone no other media I can think of uses. Something having to do something extremely awful and then the person who should be sad saying "this is the way the world is" in a weirdly brutal way.

I feel shocked that the way people have extended earthbound's vibe into a million indie games that there isn't some modern game with that weird repeated motif of pragmatic hopelessness. It was so so specific to that one series. (and the scene in E.V.O where you kill the yeti and then his wife and then the kid is crying and the narration is like 'he'll die, sometimes things die, sorry!")

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Seeing the Advance Wars 1 and 2 remake makes me want to see Days of Ruin come back. I would love to have a soundtrack that isn't stuck with DS compression quality.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You fight them in world of final fantasy! So someone in the company somewhere remembers that game still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W70ipSeayHo

I've been told chunks of the Einhander team are still at the company and in fact most recently did all the Gummi Ship events in KH3, even going so far as to put an Einhander boss fight in as an optional superboss.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

(and the scene in E.V.O where you kill the yeti and then his wife and then the kid is crying and the narration is like 'he'll die, sometimes things die, sorry!")

Heck, put me down for a proper EVO remake. Preferably based on the original that never made it outside Japan and Search for Eden was itself a remake of. I dig how you started as a jawless fish and ended as a being of pure light throwing psychic dinosaur energy at a giant devil spider that hatched out of the Moon like an egg

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Node posted:

Get them on gog. They all work.

Might and Magic Remastered would be amazing though.

It's still funny to me, that the version of MMVI you get from buying MMX on Steam is literally the GOG version. They didn't even bother removing the GOG shortcut file.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Anyone play Little Big Adventure or the sequel Twinsen's Odyssey? A game made in that style again would be dope.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

K8.0 posted:

Battlezone. A thousand times Battlezone. It's deader than dead and there's nothing else like it.

The first one was unforgettable. Never played another game with such a seamless blend of base building RTS and first person combat.
My favorite match was against someone who obliterated my primary base. I had a backup base so it wasn't game over yet. I tracked them on foot, sniped them, and stole their tank.

Omnicarus posted:

No One Lives Forever was done dirty and a reboot would be groovy.

Nobody knows who owns the license which is a sad, sorry excuse.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Crusader: No Regret / No Remorse

A cherry-red Boba Fett traitor from ~tHe cOrPoRaTiOnS~ shooting your way through a real time isometric world. IIRC it used the Ultima engine so the controls were extremely janky for a shooter, but the level design and in-game writing was top notch.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
*mutters quietly at the back of the hall*
bubble bobble
bubble bobble
*prisoners take up the chant*
Bubble Bobble
Bubble Bobble
*a chair gets thrown*
BUBBLE BOBBLE!
BUBBLE BOBBLE!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Bubble Bobble is still going. Bubble Bobble 4 Friends came out in 2019 (and then again in 2020, and again in 2021, with ports) and Puzzle Bobble VR in 2021.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Monkey Island…. Just a good old fashioned 2D point and click pirate adventure.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Magic Carpet for sure. That game had crazy stuff for the 90's. Fully deformable terrain, summonable armies, environmental interactions, all fun stuff.
I want to see what they could do with that concept today.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Prince of Persia, provided that it is pulled from Ubisoft's gropey hands and given to a studio that knows how to make parkour platformers and not "open world capture the tower" games.

Killzone. Still to this day I haven't found an FPS game that quite matches Killzone 2's WW2-but-its-the-space-apocalypse missions. Guerrilla has been on a roll with their Horizon games and Killzone Shadow Fall was a letdown, so I'm fine with them doing their own thing for a while before they return to their Space CommieNazis versus Space Neoliberals games.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Arc Hammer posted:

Prince of Persia, provided that it is pulled from Ubisoft's gropey hands and given to a studio that knows how to make parkour platformers and not "open world capture the tower" games.

Killzone. Still to this day I haven't found an FPS game that quite matches Killzone 2's WW2-but-its-the-space-apocalypse missions. Guerrilla has been on a roll with their Horizon games and Killzone Shadow Fall was a letdown, so I'm fine with them doing their own thing for a while before they return to their Space CommieNazis versus Space Neoliberals games.

I'd love to see a dead IP/dead engine turbo duo revival and get a new Prince of Persia done in UbiArts.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

SlothBear posted:

Anyone play Little Big Adventure or the sequel Twinsen's Odyssey? A game made in that style again would be dope.

My god, I played these at a friend's house and they absolutely ruled. I 1000% agree.

For my own contribution, there was a Mac OS (and later ported to windows) game by the now-defunct Ambrosia Software called Pop-Pop. It was an arkanoid clone, and where it really shined was the online multiplayer. It had kind of a fighting game thing where you selected a character that could do a special ability to aggravate your opponent. One character sent a little duck into your opponents screen that slightly altered the course of the ball when it passes through; another riddled your opponents zone with bullets that, if they hit, would freeze their paddle...

I've forgotten most of them. But it was a blast to do online for a round or two and I'd love to be able to jump back in.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo

Still fun on the bone

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I’d love a new Burning Rangers so goddamn much. A sequel that isn’t held back by the hardware and with multiplayer would kill me with excitement.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I wouldn't mind Extreme Tactics, but with fun gameplay.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Lot of good suggestions in this thread.

I’d personally love to see something based on Grim Fandango.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Aleph Null posted:

Nobody knows who owns the license which is a sad, sorry excuse.

Is that really all that big of a hindrance, though? IANAL, but surely it'd be all right for someone to make a 'spiritual sequel' starring Catherine Bowman in some funky 70's disco setting?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

X-Com: Interceptor

The original 1998 one was terrible so you wouldn't have any nostalgia gameplay to preserve, but a flipped X-Com game where you have detailed interceptors (either on earth or in space) and mostly-abstracted ground troops still seems like it'd be neat, either as a flight sim or a 3rd person strategy game like a zoomed in Homeworld or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

beer gas canister posted:

Just found out that Robot Alchemic Drive was preceded by a PS1 game called Remote Control Dandy. Apparently the devs left this studio to create Sandlot, who made RAD. It has a fan translation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsDb-u4-Zko

They also made a goofy ds game called chou soujuu mecha mg, where every mech of its fairly hefty roster has a unique touchscreen control scheme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDgLfQk8Ta8