Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

boring answer:

SotN is my GOAT. Amidst all of its flaws, it remains a perfect video game. It's just fun to explore, chill, fight and collect items. We all know the meme, but all the dialogue is so-bad-it's-good, campy fun in that vein. And that's great fun! There are a trove of mechanics from their everything but the kitchen sink approach; like a Mel Brooks comedic approach, they kept throwing poo poo in and some stuck. Some didn't. While not balanced - they lend to fun combinations and playstyles available from the dozens of interesting, unique and sometimes rare drops from enemies. The movement has an optional technicality between the shield dashing, dive kicks, gravity boots and wing smashes that make zooming through the castle a treat.

Also, that loving soundtrack!

And while they pulled from old assets, there is an impressive variety of enemies rendered in lovingly stylistic pixel art, and sometimes primitive ps1 3d that still works. Every room and area feels unique and a labor of love. There are so many little details that didn't need to exist, like the cathedral confession booth and the bird nesting at the bottom of the tower. And crazy poo poo, like Alucard's starting stats dependent on how well you do in the intro Dracula fight. Familiars and secrets, transformations and spells, cool exploits and glitches - SotN has it all. I love this game.

My goats by genre, in less words:

FPS: Doom
JRPG: Persona 4 Golden
MMO: Everquest (up to Scars of Velious)
VN: The House in Fata Morgana
Fighting Game: KOF98
Dead Genre: Grim Fandango
Monster Hunter: Rise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU