Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I nominate Black Mirror 1 as containing the worst 15-tile sliding puzzle. It's a variant on the original that also requires you to understand and recognize the zodiac signs. No information about the zodiac is provided by the game. The game also uses a flawed method of setting the original state of the puzzle, so there's a 50% chance that the puzzle is unsolvable. The state of the puzzle is also saved into save games and it cannot be reset, so if you save your game after an unsolvable version has been generated, concrats, the game is now unbeatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Stux posted:

games like factorio, satisfactory, dsp etc are a constantly evolving puzzle that the player accidentally designs for themself.

That reminds me of Automachef, which is a divergent take on the automation genre. I played it a bunch a while ago and thought it was pretty good. Automachef is an automation game that obviously takes cues from Factorio, but it's structured like a traditional puzzle game. It has discreet levels with their own goals and challenges, rather than an expansive open world where you keep on expanding and streamlining the same machine. In Automachef, you get a set of goals to meet each level, build a machine to try and fill those goals, and then set it to run. If the goals called for by the level are met, it doesn't matter if the machine is teetering at the brink of obvious failure by the end. You achieved the goal and can move on to the next level, where it's a clean slate again. In a way it's a mix of Factorio and The Incredible Machine.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Does it do that thing where at the end of the level it tells you what the most efficient solution is could be (like, in turns or money spent or whatever) or what the most efficient solution was by other players?

I haaate that stuff. Part of my brain always has to try to find that efficient solution and I just stall out when things get too hard. Bad brain!

This is the report it gives you after each level:

There's a bit of leeway in what it considers enough to progress, and there's metrics. I think there are leader boards somewhere, but it doesn't push them at your face.

Here's another random screenshot since I have the game up now.

You might not like it, but this is what peak burger efficiency looks like:

Notably everything in the lower left corner is devastated by salmonella, but it doesn't matter since all the mixed meat and bread pass through a single conveyor grill station both purifying and crisping it for human consumption.