Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

cheetah7071 posted:

Now Klotski, there's a real fucker of a sliding block puzzle

You've probably seen variants of it. It's in one of the Laytons, and I think old versions of windows had it packaged too:

This is my favorite kind of sliding tile puzzle. One of my study halls in middle school had one called Road Rage, I think, that was themed around cars, and had 60 cards of increasing difficulty telling you how to place the blocks. I didn't know these was a proper name for it, and now I suspect it will be a lot easier to find variants. Thanks!

Now the less fun kind of sliding tile puzzle, where you're trying to put an image together? I played the Finding Nemo game on Gamecube and to my memory nearly every level would just stop you at some point and have you do a sliding tile puzzle, and you had to maneuver your fish in order to physically move the tiles, rather than the small mercy of letting you just directly control the puzzle as a minigame. They were such a random addition, so frequently placed, and seemingly completely unadvertised. And they interrupted the flow and pacing of the game, especially if you didn't have the logical thinking skills (say, because you were a child playing a Finding Nemo game) to figure out the basic rules and strategies of sliding tile puzzles.

TheRecogScene fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

haha what posted:

But wait! Once you've figured that all out, you're gonna have a 5 digit number and as I mentioned earlier, the panel only accepts 4 digit codes. Well that's where the 7th stanza comes in:

The first line here refers to Hamlet, which is the 4th Volume. In his quest for revengeance, he spills blood for himself and his father. So we multiply. (4x2)

The second line is about Romeo and Juliet (Volume 1) mourning poor Mercutio and presumably themselves. (1x3)

Finally the 3 witches of Macbeth disappear, so we remove the Volume entirely. You know, instead of a 0 which the keypad clearly has... (3-3)

This leaves us with the final code 8352 and now we can go meet Claudia and access the helevator to the otherworld. Very kind of the bookstore manager to leave such an easy clue for any employees who forget the code to the breakroom.

I accept that I'm relatively new to the world of cryptic crosswords/puzzles and these tricks that other people seem to be able to recognize, but my brain just refuses to internalize the idea that this part of the puzzle is any way acceptable. It seems like an impossible leap. I guess the way you would figure it out would be to get to the point where you have too many numbers and realize the stanza you haven't used yet must mean something, and eventually try this. But it feels more confusing and off-putting than clever, to me.