Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

haha what posted:

honestly it sucks lol

i much prefer the rest of the puzzles in SH3. even knowing youve chosen Hard Mode, it's honestly baffling that its 20 minutes into the game. ridiculous.

I like the idea of SH having a hard puzzle mode that's extremely difficult, and I actually think needing outside knowledge is a plausible thing, if you really want to commit to it...but...

Voidburger's fantastic Let's Play of SH3 includes detailed commentary on each of the Hard puzzles, and best of all she got the chance to have extended conversations with the original translator. It turns out a couple of the puzzles are just bugged or have translation issues, and the explanations the playerbase came up with are completely orthogonal to the intended solutions. It's been awhile and I can't remember the details, but I know the face=keypad puzzle from the hospital was one of these. The linked playlist has the other videos that go into them- it looks like the Cock Robin puzzle was also in that category.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
At some point I can write up some effort for this thread on Jonathan Blow's profound influence on puzzle design and devotion to a concept I call "conservation of detail" (don't buy his games though, the dude is cancelled for incredibly good reasons). I can also write up a lot of :effort: on the ARGs that were developed for payday the heist and payday 2 when I have some time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Lol, I just rewatched the video and even the Shakespeare puzzle is meant to be solved differently from your post. The Tarot puzzle is the only one that generally works as intended, and even it has issues. Such a clusterfuck.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 3, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

bossy lady posted:

Have any puzzle / survival horror nerds itt played tormented souls? It's almost more puzzle than horror.

Not yet, but it's on my (long, long) list- the protagonists' appearance made me hesitant at first.